+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lex Immers Turned Down Four Other Clubs To Stay At City

Lex Immers Turned Down Four Other Clubs To Stay At City

Cardiff City fans' favourite Lex Immers reveals he turned down four other clubs to stay with Bluebirds

Media Wales

Weds July 27th 2016

image.jpg

Lex Immers has revealed he turned down four English clubs to stay with Cardiff City for the 2016-17 Championship campaign.

The Dutch striker quickly became a fans' favourite after signing on loan from Feyenoord in January and it seems that affection is very much reciprocated with his decision to remain in south Wales.

Immers made his Cardiff switch permanent on the first day of the transfer window this summer, but only after other clubs tempted him to join them instead.

Immers admitted: “I could have gone to four other clubs in England, but I chose this one and I think it's the best one.

“I've enjoyed the last six months in Cardiff, playing with the guys in the team and playing for the supporters, working with the staff.

“They are always positive, I know the people here, I know everything about Cardiff and the city. It was an easy choice for me.”

Immers was an integral part of the Bluebirds' play-off push last season, adapting quickly to the pace of the Championship and netting five goals in 15 appearances.

However, he has warned fans that goals might be harder to come by for him in Paul Trollope's new system.

The pre-season tour in Germany has seen Frederic Gounongbe and Kenneth Zohore share the striking duties, with the Dutchman playing in midfield.

Immers said: “It's different as I'm playing a little bit deeper. Last season I played up front so I had more chances to score playing up with Anthony Pilkington.

"It'll be harder, but I will do my thing and try and score as often as possible.

“The ambition always for me, for my whole career, is to win prizes. That's the reason why I play football. Also, it's your job, to earn money, but I'm playing because I love it and it's my hobby and I want to win prizes.

"This season I want us to go up, to get in the play-offs or automatic promotion.”

Re: Lex Immers Turned Down Four Other Clubs To Stay At City

IMMERS YOU ABSOLUTE LEDGE

Early days, but I get the feeling we have an old fashioned type of footballer on our hands , with both talent and dedication to his game and club . I think Gunnerson is a similar type of character,some of the over hyped wannabes , could learn a lesson or two , are you listening, Revel, Sammy , Federico ?

Well done whoever spotted and signed him

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Early days, but I get the feeling we have an old fashioned type of footballer on our hands , with both talent and dedication to his game and club . I think Gunnerson is a similar type of character,some of the over hyped wannabes , could learn a lesson or two , are you listening, Revel, Sammy , Federico ?

I think he's been on our radar for a while, I remember reading in the papers Malky wanting him when we were in the PL.

I agree though, he's a great signing and quickly became a fans favourite.

Tidy darts

We had a playoff push last season?

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We had a playoff push last season?
    We farted in the general direction of the playoffs

It's easy to forget the signing this window of Lex. We now have an outfield leader in the middle of the park who raises our standard of football dramatically. Looking forward to having a full season with him. Great signing.

The 4 English clubs to be fair were Forest Green Rovers, Calne Town, Greys Athletic and Leeds United.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    The 4 English clubs to be fair were Forest Green Rovers, Calne Town, Greys Athletic and Leeds United.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    No way he turned down the biggest club in the world

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    No way he turned down the biggest club in the world
    rangers were not in for him.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    Who the **** are rangers do you mean celtic

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Who the **** are rangers do you mean celtic
    no the mighty glasgow rangers. admired and respected all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

To be fair to Revel he did try 100% but he was useless apart from his headless chicken impersonation

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    Who Ely Rangers?

Nothing to do with his team mates, the staff or us fans - we were the only club with a dart board.

Wonder how much we paid for Immers? Complete guess, but I'll go for £250k.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Wonder how much we paid for Immers? Complete guess, but I'll go for £250k.
    I think you're about right there Bob.