+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russell Slade in 3-5-2 shocker!

Russell Slade in 3-5-2 shocker!

I'll always believe that Slade was so cautious and unwilling to experiment with us because he never felt like he truly belonged at a level which was higher than the ones he has spent the huge majority of his managerial career at. Although he said he wouldn't be averse to playing different tactical systems such as 3-5-2 during his time here, the facts show that he only ever played a very basic 4-4-2 (sometimes with slight variations) - I'm 99.9% certain that if he was still here, we wouldn't have spent our pre season playing the system we have done under Paul Trollope.

However, put him at a level which he feels comfortable at and it seems he becomes a changed man. For the first half of their final pre season match against Dutch club RKC Waalwijk at the Valley, Charlton played 3-5-2 - they switched back to 4-4-2 for the second half of course, but, even so!

Charlton's pre season has seen them not win many, not lose many, not score many and not concede many - typical Russell Slade I'd say, but I suppose he could be said to have gone from the frying pan into the fire in terms of owners and off field management.

Incidentally, Charlton drew 1-1 yesterday, but both sides agreed to a penalty shoot out if the match finished level after ninety minutes - Waalwijk won that 4-3, with Roger Johnson being one of the home players to miss from the spot.

Re: Russell Slade in 3-5-2 shocker!

The fact that they switched back to 4-4-2 in the second half speaks volumes to me Bob.
    There is a lot of work that goes into switching systems effectively and I don't believe Slade's has got enough about him to be able to implement this.
    Having said that I haven't got anything against the guy and I hope he does ok at Charlton, I'm just over the moon that he's not longer with us.

Thought he'd end up in another championship job but perhaps he sees Charlton as a chance to win a promotion and that, at this stage in his career, is valued more than steadying a side or aiming for play-offs, which he already has experience of.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    The fact that they switched back to 4-4-2 in the second half speaks volumes to me Bob.
    There is a lot of work that goes into switching systems effectively and I don't believe Slade's has got enough about him to be able to implement this.
    Having said that I haven't got anything against the guy and I hope he does ok at Charlton, I'm just over the moon that he's not longer with us.
    I doubt you were at the game - maybe changing to a 442 made sense tactically or for the players at his disposal.

Maybe he didn't think Cardiff's players could cope in a 352?

And you weren't at any of our games last season yet you are not shy in expressing your opinion you clown

And you weren't at any of our games last season yet you are not shy in expressing your opinion you clown
    Ouch.

No need to get personal. And I only comment on results and league positions - in the circumstances it was remarkable that Cardiff managed to stay in the race until game 45. Many of you predicted lower mid table, do Slade exceeded those predictions.

I'm not sure you even do it consciously but your bitterness regarding the rebrand pervade all your posts so that everything you write is anti-cardiff.
    I get the animosity for what happened, a lot of my mates felt the same as you but deliberately or not deliberately offering anti-cardiff sentiment into every post is bound to raise a reaction on a Cardiff forum.

I'm not sure you even do it consciously but your bitterness regarding the rebrand pervade all your posts so that everything you write is anti-cardiff.
    I get the animosity for what happened, a lot of my mates felt the same as you but deliberately or not deliberately offering anti-cardiff sentiment into every post is bound to raise a reaction on a Cardiff forum.
    Why have you mentioned the rebrand? I haven't mentioned it here. The way it works now is that I will get discredited for still whining on about the rebrand.

Last season I was mentioning the positives and how Slade was exceeding expectations and people didn't like that either! I was being anti-Cardiff for saying Slade deserved another season!

Ironically he hates Tan for shitting on Cardiffs traditions yet spends nearly every post slagging Cardiff off, and also glorifying the Jacks at any given opportuntity.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    I doubt you were at the game - maybe changing to a 442 made sense tactically or for the players at his disposal.

Forget us fans who, apparently, know nothing about the team we watch, but many former pros in the media were agreed that we were strongest at centre back last season. The view that the optimum way to get the best out of Peter Whittingham in a central midfield position was to play three in there rather than the two Slade persisted with throughout his time at the club was also expressed by former players who watched us last season - playing 3-5-2 would have got more of our better players into the team and addressed the perceived Whittingham problem.

. Slade was a better City manager than many are willing to give him credit for, but he was extremely blinkered in his tactical thinking, his attitude towards younger players was counter productive and he was cautious in his approach to games and in his use of substitutes - I believe he was holding us back in his latter games here.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Ironically he hates Tan for shitting on Cardiffs traditions yet spends nearly every post slagging Cardiff off, and also glorifying the Jacks at any given opportuntity.
    You've been reading too many Triblue posts. And you've got a bout of exaggerationitis.

Do I really spend NEARLY every post slagging Cardiff off? What percentage is that? You need to quantify it otherwise I'm saying that you are making it up.

I spend EVERY opportunity "glorifying" Swansea? Again, I say you're exaggerating.

Further, instead of taking and arguing the points I have made (i.e. Slade picked the formation he thought was best for the team and didn't consider 352 as a viable option) you have elected to have a dig at me instead. Well done.

TOBW I cant comment on formations etc, but I am arguing that Slade did the best possible job with the squad available to him. You can't know for sure that 352 would have won you more games. Nor can I say you would have lost more games with 352.

You also can't know how many extra points Cardiff would have won with players from the academy playing.

Slade over achieved last season - strikers sold, transfer embargo, low crowds. Cardiff still had their season alive for match 45. Some here predicted lower mid table - and credit Trollope for every win and blame Slade for every loss. That's blinkered.

TOBW I cant comment on formations etc, but I am arguing that Slade did the best possible job with the squad available to him. You can't know for sure that 352 would have won you more games. Nor can I say you would have lost more games with 352.

You also can't know how many extra points Cardiff would have won with players from the academy playing.

Slade over achieved last season - strikers sold, transfer embargo, low crowds. Cardiff still had their season alive for match 45. Some here predicted lower mid table - and credit Trollope for every win and blame Slade for every loss. That's blinkered.
    I accept that for someone like you who has an interest in the club (and I know you aren't the jack that you are accused of being) but doesn't go to games that Slade did well here last season and, to an extent, he did. However, having got us into a challenging position following a very good draw at Burnley which I thought reflected very well on him as a manager, he resorted to type in our remaining games where his approach worked against us - this was typified by his "let's try to stay in the game" selection for a game at Hillsborough where nothing but a win would do for us.

As for younger players, the real opportunity to select Academy players in the first team was lost in his first season at the club, not last year when, as you say, all of our games bar one was played when at least one out of promotion and relegation was a possibility. It was Slade's whole attitude to young players which was costing the club for all sorts of reasons.

that about it ,because i'm not convinced even now if we have those players to deliver it effectvely

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    that about it ,because i'm not convinced even now if we have those players to deliver it effectvely
    We havent

We shall see my little poisonous friend.

Yep Slade was a clown , that isn't in doubt, playing in a league that was way above his expertise.
    When he gets Charlton relegated, gets sacked, and has to get a job as a school teacher again he will have landed at his level.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    We shall see my little poisonous friend.

Yep Slade was a clown , that isn't in doubt, playing in a league that was way above his expertise.
    When he gets Charlton relegated, gets sacked, and has to get a job as a school teacher again he will have landed at his level.
    So, Charlton are going down this season?

What happened is he tried to explain his 442 lopsided tactic but the players got totally confused and went 352

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    What happened is he tried to explain his 442 lopsided tactic but the players got totally confused and went 352

So, Charlton are going down this season?
    Yeah

He is making excuses already.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Yeah

He is making excuses already.

He's talking shite as usual

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=118823&headline=THE%20BIG%20INTERVIEW%3A%20Russell%20Slad e%20sits%20down%20for%20first%20newspaper%20interv iew%20since%20taking%20Charlton%20Athletic%20job&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2016
    Last edited by CCFC CASUAL; 01-08-16 at 13:11.

I think he'd rather talk about anything other than the actual football!

"My name is Russell and I like to watch movies and I like riding my bike"

I think he'd rather talk about anything other than the actual football!

"My name is Russell and I like to watch movies and I like riding my bike"
    Spent more time talking about the interior design of the canteen than how he's going to set his team up ffs

Spent more time talking about the interior design of the canteen than how he's going to set his team up ffs

I remember he did pretty much the exact same interview with us last year where he discussed what he orders on a Friday down the Chinese!

You posted an article by Gary Rowett alongside it and the contrast was embarrassing.

He likes to play attacking football ffs