+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hinkley - Nuclear PowerPlant

Hinkley - Nuclear PowerPlant

Where do you all stand with this one ?

Mainly financed by EDF & the Chinese, possibly up to 25,000 jobs for a few years, well paid, just over the water from Wales, unproven technology

Re: Hinkley - Nuclear PowerPlant

I'd buy in fuels from other safe lands instead , its worked well so far with no conflicts .

As much as i'm against nuclear energy, i bloody hate seeing the wind farms all over the place, If we listen to the scientists,
    hydrocarbons are about finished although carbon capture is now making a little headway making fossil fuels cleaner, plenty of water around the island to use tidal, not enough sun maybe for serious solar investment.

Pity we can't harness political bullshit , there is a fair bit flying around to power a few homes

The agreed energy price is too expensive what was Osborne thinking.

Why don't we wire up all those gym users , and utilize their pedal power on those stationery cycles asv they are watching the soaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Where do you all stand with this one ?

Mainly financed by EDF & the Chinese, possibly up to 25,000 jobs for a few years, well paid, just over the water from Wales, unproven technology
    Electricity bills for private consumers to double immediately, with further increases when and if it ever comes online, as there are no examples anywhere in the world of this kind of reactor.

Quote Originally Posted by Splott Dave View Post
    Electricity bills for private consumers to double immediately, with further increases when and if it ever comes online, as there are no examples anywhere in the world of this kind of reactor.
    It's just a much larger PWR of which there are 100s, there are also 2 EPRs that will be built before the Hinkley Point reactor.

Safest form of energy around as long as it's done correctly.

The problem with Hinkley point is it's a cumbersome design so will end up being 10 years late and the strike price is stupidly high.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It's just a much larger PWR of which there are 100s, there are also 2 EPRs that will be built before the Hinkley Point reactor.

I'm not quite ready to be Fukishima out of South Wales just yet.

What about the 2 older plants that have been operating there for the last 50 years?

Also Fukishima would have been easily avoided if only the Japanese weren't so hierarchical in their work structures/culture. 3 huge mistakes put together due to it, remove one and it would have been fine.

Not one radiation based death yet due to good emergency planning though, the biggest cause of illness has actually been caused by having to move people.

The fact remains, it's a larger reactor although as you say of a proven type, but it's untried at this size, regarding safest, it depends on your risk appetite, i'm not against Nuclear Power per se, and i suppose being across the channel or being in France, if it fails the shit still hits the pan, the jobs boost would be welcome but being sat on the servern with its tidal power and no future problem of waste i'd have like this to be given serious effort and development or similar.

Renewables are the way forward and I'd be completely for a Severn barage.

But it's a long way off being reliable enough for a base load. Nuclear power is perfect for a base load and much cleaner the coal and gas plants.

There is the problem of the waste in 50 years time but it's not actually that much and isn't that hard to deal with.

We've got 15 operating reactors in this country and have never had a major problem with one. This isn't untried technology it's just on a bigger scale.

The British regulators are the best in the world too, up there with the Americans. They would never allow a plant that wasn't 100% safe to be built or operated.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'd buy in fuels from other safe lands instead , its worked well so far with no conflicts .

What about the 2 older plants that have been operating there for the last 50 years?

Also Fukishima would have been easily avoided if only the Japanese weren't so hierarchical in their work structures/culture. 3 huge mistakes put together due to it, remove one and it would have been fine.

Not one radiation based death yet due to good emergency planning though, the biggest cause of illness has actually been caused by having to move people.
    "Not one radiation based death yet due to good emergency planning"

Every country that has gone down the nuclear energy route has incorporated emergency planning as a contingency against every conceivable scenario.

That didn't stop Chernobyl, did it? Or the Three Mile Island disaster back in 1979 in the USA?
    We have had three major nuclear energy incidents and scores of minor ones where all-out disasters were averted.

An untried untested nuclear plant across the Severn would obliterate all life in South Wales should there be any form of uncontainable incident at the proposed plant for Hinkley.

Personally, I don't believe that it makes sense from an environmental or economic point of view to proceed with this project. In any event the delay will mean that UK Gov't will need to do some major renegotiation, in order to get this project from the drawing board to being operational.