+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we under prepared?

Are we under prepared?

This pre season has been quite low key.

The first team play only their third (and last) 90 minute game tomorrow before the season starts. We did have the two hours of football in Osnabruck last Saturday but it doesn't seem like enough. Okay, Ahlen was a cock up but even so we should surely be playing another full game to shape the team for St Andrews.

It might turn out OK but I don't think Trollope has had chance to select a settled strongest XI

Re: Are we under prepared?

WALES had a low key build up to the Euro's, maybe Trollope's keeping them hungry for the game.

Like a caged dragon waiting to escape.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

The first team play only their third (and last) 90 minute game tomorrow before the season starts. We did have the two hours of football in Osnabruck last Saturday but it doesn't seem like enough. Okay, Ahlen was a cock up but even so we should surely be playing another full game to shape the team for St Andrews.

It might turn out OK but I don't think Trollope has had chance to select a settled strongest XI
    I'm more concerned about Morrison and Manga having so little practice at our new defensive system before we play at Birmingham.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm more concerned about Morrison and Manga having so little practice at our new defensive system before we play at Birmingham.
    The defence explained:

This time last year Matt Connolly was determined to nail down a starting spot in the Cardiff City team.

He did that and then some, landing the Player of the Year gong at the end of season awards.

This season looks to set to be another big one for the ball-playing centre-back, who will be a key player for Paul Trollope no matter what the system.

There's definitely a feeling, however, that he could be one of the first-teamers with a particularly important role to play in a 3-5-2.

A notoriously difficult system to adopt, Connolly talks our man in Germany through both the challenges and the positives it can bring...

PREPARATION

Speak to anyone in the game, and they'll tell you that switching to a back three can't be done overnight.

It takes time and serious application on the training ground. Here, Connolly outlines the importance of good preparation and high fitness levels among defenders...

“It is difficult to adapt, particularly as not all of us have played this formation before. I've played it a few times but we've been doing loads of work on it, the manager has been drilling it with us every day in training. You have to work on the shape and work out every person's responsibility within the system.

"It's a more demanding system, particularly for the full-backs, but also for us centre-backs who've got to shuffle across all the time. It helps to have a good pre-season and that time away has helped us bond. That helps us to prepare well.”

DISTRIBUTION

Two stars of Euro 2016, Leonardo Bonucci and Ben Davies, both benefited from playing in a back three and being a big part of their team's plans in possession. Connolly hopes it can be the same story for him this season...

“Distribution from the back is a huge part of this system, as it's often a way to start an attack.

“What's good at the moment is that when you have the ball it feels like you have so many options.

“You can go alongside you to a centre-back, or out wide to one of the full-backs. You can give it to a midfielder, or get it to the striker to hold it up.

“Of course, it's important that players take responsibility and show for you, that they're willing to get on the ball.

“In the past I've not been able to believe some of the stuff we've done in training, the one-touch football we've played. For whatever reason we weren't always quite able to do that on the matchday. Hopefully we can now, as while we can't be too risky, we can take more responsibility on the ball.”

COMMUNICATION

Connolly, along with captain David Marshall, have been a reassuring presence for the young centre-backs thrown into action this pre-season. Even when the more experienced heads return, communication will still be key...

“Communication is absolutely massive, both for the centre-backs and the full-backs. It's key that everybody talks and and helps each other through the game. When I was young I really appreciated that help from team-mates.

“It's the same for Semi (Ajayi) and Dave (Tutonda), hopefully they can take any advice I can give on board, even if it feels a little bit like criticism!

“In pre-season fitness is always an issue which makes talking to each other even more important. Even if it is a bit of criticism, it's always better to know where you're all at.”

COMPETITION

Paul Trollope has been impressed by the two youngsters alongside Connolly and the centre-back back says the competition will drive him on...

“Semi has been excellent, he's tall and really good in the air. What I like about him is that he's aggressive and picks good passes. As for Dave, I don't think I've ever seen anyone beat him in a one-on-one situation, which bodes well.

“I think they can both have a really good season, whether it's with us or out loan.

“It keeps us more experienced boys on our toes and it's healthy to have that competition.”

PERSONAL OPPORTUNITY

Connolly has already been identified by his new manager as key cog in the wheel...

“When the manager first came back from the Euros he said that he thought this would be a good system for me, with the opportunity to come into midfield and get onto the ball more.

“Hopefully I can do that, even though all us boys at the back are comfortable with the ball at our feet.

“It'll definitely be good to get a bit more involved in the attacking side of things, though.”

RESILIENCE

Playing fifty games in a season means the odd mistake is bound to creep in. Connolly tells us that resilience is key to making a new system like this work...

“A good support system is key. I scored a few own goals last season which was a real low point, but having a good set of lads around you is key to blocking it out. It's a long old season and even if you make a few silly errors you have to keep going. You can't get too high or too low.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...ystem-11661299

If it works, then we could be in for some entertaining football. Certainly if we get a good couple of results under our belts early doors, it will obviously boost confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I doubt that Morrison is anywhere near match fit. Manga will surely be on his way.I wonder if the back 3 will be Peltier, Connolly, Ajayi

Banned

We have learned absolutely nothing from the pre-season and it has achieved nothing.
    So I would say we are way under prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    We have learned absolutely nothing from the pre-season and it has achieved nothing.
    If we've learned absolutely nothing, how do you know we are under prepared?

Any basis or justification for that claim? Anything at all?

We may be under prepared (I hope not) but the whole pre-season has been about bedding in a couple of new shapes/formations - especially the 'Wales formation' and giving new/youth/fringe players opportunities and playing time. There may not have been enough games, but what there was seemed to be very useful and very informative. Learned a lot and achieved a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    WALES had a low key build up to the Euro's, maybe Trollope's keeping them hungry for the game.

I like you optimism Tone,highly unusual for you,or are you being sarky?

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    I like you optimism Tone,highly unusual for you,or are you being sarky?

Nope, looking forward to it for the first time in years.

Nearly cancelled my 5 season tickets, but had a chat with our Kenny and he convinced me "things will only get better"

Now that's sarkey

Nope, looking forward to it for the first time in years.

Nearly cancelled my 5 season tickets, but had a chat with our Kenny and he convinced me "things will only get better"

Now that's sarkey

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Any basis or justification for that claim? Anything at all?

We may be under prepared (I hope not) but the whole pre-season has been about bedding in a couple of new shapes/formations - especially the 'Wales formation' and giving new/youth/fringe players opportunities and playing time. There may not have been enough games, but what there was seemed to be very useful and very informative. Learned a lot and achieved a lot!
    Well said. I'd go as far as saying that this has been our most effective pre-season in many a year, with youngsters being given a chance to impress and various formations being tested out - exactly what the summer programme is for.

Incidentally, in our promotion-winning season under MM we had played just one fixture at this point - away at Forest Green Rovers. Think the Championship kicked off a week later that year but a lot of the work was done on the training ground.

Blue in the Face

My thoughts too... Apart from the caged dragon bit

A lot of this pre-season seems to be about fitness and theory? (learning new systems)
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 29-07-16 at 10:14.

You are of course correct.

Looks like an injury crisis.

Not good when you have to play those pesky youngsters

http://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/22...squad-warning/

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post

Still trying to lower expectations, then failing to acheive them I see

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post

Good honest managers are a rare breed.

I am , got my real ale guide book out, and spending time researching rare Brandy's

The defence explained:

This time last year Matt Connolly was determined to nail down a starting spot in the Cardiff City team.

He did that and then some, landing the Player of the Year gong at the end of season awards.

This season looks to set to be another big one for the ball-playing centre-back, who will be a key player for Paul Trollope no matter what the system.

There's definitely a feeling, however, that he could be one of the first-teamers with a particularly important role to play in a 3-5-2.

A notoriously difficult system to adopt, Connolly talks our man in Germany through both the challenges and the positives it can bring...

PREPARATION

Speak to anyone in the game, and they'll tell you that switching to a back three can't be done overnight.

It takes time and serious application on the training ground. Here, Connolly outlines the importance of good preparation and high fitness levels among defenders...

“It is difficult to adapt, particularly as not all of us have played this formation before. I've played it a few times but we've been doing loads of work on it, the manager has been drilling it with us every day in training. You have to work on the shape and work out every person's responsibility within the system.

"It's a more demanding system, particularly for the full-backs, but also for us centre-backs who've got to shuffle across all the time. It helps to have a good pre-season and that time away has helped us bond. That helps us to prepare well.”

DISTRIBUTION

Two stars of Euro 2016, Leonardo Bonucci and Ben Davies, both benefited from playing in a back three and being a big part of their team's plans in possession. Connolly hopes it can be the same story for him this season...

“Distribution from the back is a huge part of this system, as it's often a way to start an attack.

“What's good at the moment is that when you have the ball it feels like you have so many options.

“You can go alongside you to a centre-back, or out wide to one of the full-backs. You can give it to a midfielder, or get it to the striker to hold it up.

“Of course, it's important that players take responsibility and show for you, that they're willing to get on the ball.

“In the past I've not been able to believe some of the stuff we've done in training, the one-touch football we've played. For whatever reason we weren't always quite able to do that on the matchday. Hopefully we can now, as while we can't be too risky, we can take more responsibility on the ball.”

COMMUNICATION

Connolly, along with captain David Marshall, have been a reassuring presence for the young centre-backs thrown into action this pre-season. Even when the more experienced heads return, communication will still be key...

“Communication is absolutely massive, both for the centre-backs and the full-backs. It's key that everybody talks and and helps each other through the game. When I was young I really appreciated that help from team-mates.

“It's the same for Semi (Ajayi) and Dave (Tutonda), hopefully they can take any advice I can give on board, even if it feels a little bit like criticism!

“In pre-season fitness is always an issue which makes talking to each other even more important. Even if it is a bit of criticism, it's always better to know where you're all at.”

COMPETITION

Paul Trollope has been impressed by the two youngsters alongside Connolly and the centre-back back says the competition will drive him on...

“Semi has been excellent, he's tall and really good in the air. What I like about him is that he's aggressive and picks good passes. As for Dave, I don't think I've ever seen anyone beat him in a one-on-one situation, which bodes well.

“I think they can both have a really good season, whether it's with us or out loan.

“It keeps us more experienced boys on our toes and it's healthy to have that competition.”

PERSONAL OPPORTUNITY

Connolly has already been identified by his new manager as key cog in the wheel...

“When the manager first came back from the Euros he said that he thought this would be a good system for me, with the opportunity to come into midfield and get onto the ball more.

“Hopefully I can do that, even though all us boys at the back are comfortable with the ball at our feet.

“It'll definitely be good to get a bit more involved in the attacking side of things, though.”

RESILIENCE

Playing fifty games in a season means the odd mistake is bound to creep in. Connolly tells us that resilience is key to making a new system like this work...

“A good support system is key. I scored a few own goals last season which was a real low point, but having a good set of lads around you is key to blocking it out. It's a long old season and even if you make a few silly errors you have to keep going. You can't get too high or too low.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...ystem-11661299
    Connolly would be my first pick defender, the lads has played as a full back and center back , ans in touch with the modern game , I would also say the new formation would suit Manga however as a club I would be worried about these supposed injuries ?? we barley get half a season out of him with his other international commitments and travelling

Morrison is a traditional back 4 defender , perhaps its time for the youngsters, with more ability to these interchangeable formations .

Not convinced that playing loads of games actually is very useful in pre season.
    They have got plenty of work to get through on the training ground and it sounds as though that is at least as important as playing more meaningless friendlys

I suppose that the team was fit though, having had continuous football prior to the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I suppose that the team was fit though, having had continuous football prior to the tournament.
    How unfit can our players be? It only seems like a few weeks ago we were playing.

Quite a few Championship clubs signing some decent players. Who have we ended up with? Feckin' Jazz Richards!!

Hoping we're gonna use the loan system to the full or it'll be a long hard season again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Quite a few Championship clubs signing some decent players. Who have we ended up with? Feckin' Jazz Richards!!

Hoping we're gonna use the loan system to the full or it'll be a long hard season again.
    Good positive post Steve.

Banned

PT needs to ship out the under performers from last season and bring in some new faces ASAP. His lack of activity in the market is bordering on lunacy.