+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Olympics

The Olympics

Rio 2016 starts later this week. Never known such a low key build up.

Re: The Olympics

It's nothing like 4 years ago is it boss.
    I love the Olympics but I don't think I will enjoy this one as much. Mainly because a lot of the main events won't start until 10pm our time. That's no good for me because more often than not I'm in bed by 11pm.

All I hope is that Usain Bolt beats the drug cheat yanks

It's not on that late is it? Rio is only 4 hours behind. So most of it will be over by 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    It's not on that late is it? Rio is only 4 hours behind. So most of it will be over by 10pm.
    100m final is at 2.25am

Euros.
    Euros and Tour de France, with a little Wimbledon.
    Tour De France.
    A little break.
    Football season.

There doesn't seem to be any room for an Olympics this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    It's nothing like 4 years ago is it boss.
    The London Olympics were phenomenal but maybe there was an over reaction on our shores as it was here and this low key build up is more the norm??

Hopefully I'll start feeling it once it's underway

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    The London Olympics were phenomenal but maybe there was an over reaction on our shores as it was here and this low key build up is more the norm??

Partly agree with this and what Surge said regarding all the top sport that has been happening this summer.

The media coverage and advertising has always been much more than it has been this time round but also there are so many more channels that people watch these days, the sense of euphoria that there used to be with everyone talking about it and looking forward to it just doesn't seem to be there.

The negatives surrounding the Russians certainly has not helped either, but I remember feeling similar lethargy before the 1980 Olympics which was boycotted by the US. Once it gets underway, hopefully we will get wrapped up in it all.

I'm hoping that the time difference doesn't affect the experience.

When's the beach volley ball on, it's the only thing worth watching.

Who want's to watch some drugged up fella/bird running. ?

When I was a kid the Olympics were the absolute pinnacle of the sporting world and it was the sport of Athletics which was at it's heart. Now though, so many of those who provided the never to be forgotten moments which ensured that the Olympics continued as sport's greatest showcase are either proven drug cheats or have questions against them - sadly, it will be impossible to watch a lot of the medalists in so many of the different sports in Rio and think "yeah great, but was that really down to them or the drugs they take?".

Opening ceremony being shown live around midnight (our time) next Friday night/Saturday morning.

Last time, I remember coming in one Saturday, switching on the TV and becoming utterly absorbed in watching Rowing - indeed I seemed to get more pleasure watching sports I wouldn't normally pay any attention to, than the "main" events.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Opening ceremony being shown live around midnight (our time) next Friday night/Saturday morning.

Last time, I remember coming in one Saturday, switching on the TV and becoming utterly absorbed in watching Rowing - indeed I seemed to get more pleasure watching sports I wouldn't normally pay any attention to, than the "main" events.
    For me this is what the Olympics are about, and is also why I don't think football, golf or tennis should be included.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    For me this is what the Olympics are about, and is also why I don't think football, golf or tennis should be included.
    I don't think it matters too much that golf (not even the players want to be included), football and tennis are represented as no one sees them as important as the cycling, the rowing, the wrestling/martial arts, the pool, the track and field...

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    100m final is at 2.25am
    That's later than Australia ffs. I assumed it was all on late until I found out they are only 4 hrs behind, and thought it would be on at good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    100m final is at 2.25am
    I'm thinking of entering the 100m final. Is there a form I have to fill in or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post

Agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    When I was a kid the Olympics were the absolute pinnacle of the sporting world and it was the sport of Athletics which was at it's heart. Now though, so many of those who provided the never to be forgotten moments which ensured that the Olympics continued as sport's greatest showcase are either proven drug cheats or have questions against them - sadly, it will be impossible to watch a lot of the medalists in so many of the different sports in Rio and think "yeah great, but was that really down to them or the drugs they take?".
    Sport on the box was a great treat in the era you're remembering. Now it's everywhere and easily accessible so has lost much of its specialness.

As for drugs at the Olympics, I've done much research for betting purposes over the last few weeks. I couldn't understand why my top pick, Dibaba to win the women's 1500M, is odds against in spite of being six seconds faster than all her rivals. Turned out from reading athletics forums that she's almost certainly juiced and may not compete. Also there's a consensus that Farah is too good to be true, and that Radcliffe was quite notorious.