+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your most memorable Olympic moment?

What's your most memorable Olympic moment?

For me it was Michael Johnson winning the 200m at Atlanta in 1994.
    He absolutely smashed his own world record with a time of 19:32. At the time I remember thinking to myself that that record will never be beaten, and to be honest if it wasn't for a freak like Bolt that record would still stand today.

Re: What's your most memorable Olympic moment?

Either switching channels or turning the tele off and doing a crossword.

Bores me rigid.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    He absolutely smashed his own world record with a time of 19:32. At the time I remember thinking to myself that that record will never be beaten, and to be honest if it wasn't for a freak like Bolt that record would still stand today.
    I think for me it was the 800 and 1500 metres finals in Moscow where Ovett and Coe shared the gold medals.

There was so much hype at the time with both chasing world records every time they raced.
    Athletics was shown live in the evenings just because there was a chance that the world record would be broken and quite often it was.

Also Ben Johnson's infamous "win" in 100 metres 1988

Danny Boyle's opening ceremony 2012, fantastic viewing, one of the best bits of television I've ever seen.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Beach volleyball

ladies version that is

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Danny Boyle's opening ceremony 2012, fantastic viewing, one of the best bits of television I've ever seen.
    THIS^^^^

I watched a programme about the making/run up to the ceremony the other night,worth a watch if it comes on again if you missed it

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I think for me it was the 800 and 1500 metres finals in Moscow where Ovett and Coe shared the gold medals.

There was so much hype at the time with both chasing world records every time they raced.
    Athletics was shown live in the evenings just because there was a chance that the world record would be broken and quite often it was.

Also Ben Johnson's infamous "win" in 100 metres 1988
    This fantastic running from 2 well matched athletes

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Beach volleyball

ladies version that is

Is there any other

Martin Woodroffe, who lived about one hundred yards from me at the time, winning a silver medal in Mexico 1968 in the 200m butterfly. I was twelve at the time and already the Olympics meant so much to me that I couldn't believe that we had a medalist in the community.

It was fifty years yesterday since England won the World Cup, yet my memory is that two years later, the coverage the Olympics got rather said it all about how it was considered to be more of a big event than the football was. Maybe because there were so much fewer of them back then, but Olympic medal winners in the 60s were remembered after the Games had finished much more than they are now.

The truth is though that the first I got to know about Woodroffe's medal was when I got to school on the morning after he had swam. it was confirmed at Assembly that we had a Olympic medalist in the school (he was in the sixth form to my form two) - even though we lived so close to each other, the divide which says that a sixth former never speaks to a second year in school unless they are related, meant that I've never got to say more than about three words to Woodroffe in my life, but for a while in the late sixties he was more of a hero to me than any City player was.

1988 Seoul....Ben Johnson beating Carl Lewis only to be stripped of the Gold for steroid abuse.....The begining of the end.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Yep - absolutely brilliant. It reminded me what a brilliant country we live in.

Same olympics - but super Saturday where the medals kept coming. Rutherford was the stand out moment for me - it just seemed to encapsulate the craziness of the whole evening because (if I am not mistaken) he wasn't given much of a chance.

You have missed out on hundreds of hours worth of crotch, nipples and arse watching! Skimpy outfits abound in track and field events.

If you don't like ogling fit and nubile young ladies wearing next to nothing in slow-motion then you must be a kinky swine.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    You have missed out on hundreds of hours worth of crotch, nipples and arse watching! Skimpy outfits abound in track and field events.

If you don't like ogling fit and nubile young ladies wearing next to nothing in slow-motion then you must be a kinky swine.

Evidence that this a sludge secret account piles up.

Not guilty. Sludge is somewhere along the aptly named Crack Hill area of Cowbridge right now. He's the biggest rotter in that diocese.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Either switching channels or turning the tele off and doing a crossword.

Bores me rigid.
    It's a wonder you didn't say beach volleyball. It excites me rigid

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    I love that race so much that I can't stop myself being the twatty pedant - it was 1996. He knocked 0.4sec off the oldest track record in the space of a couple of months, such an unusual but effective style. He absolutely destroyed everyone in that race and it's not often remembered that he was double Olympic 400m champ too. I also love listening to him talk, he speaks with such authority and confidence.

Lots of other amazing Olympic memories, but number 1 for me is Bolt in the Beijing 100m. I remember telling someone with a vague interest in sport to watch it as he would do something out of this world and he delivered

Steve Redgrave's fifth Gold Medal in the coxless fours, at the Athens Olympics. He won a gold medal in this event in FIVE Olympic Games in a row. Pretty incredible and the GBNI crew won it on the line after being behind for the entire race.

^^ I was going to go with Alan Wells, no Americans admittedly a great moment as was Linfords

Alan Wells maybe the last white 100m winner?

There hasn't even been a finalist since!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    ^^ I was going to go with Alan Wells, no Americans admittedly a great moment as was Linfords

Alan Wells maybe the last white 100m winner?

There hasn't even been a finalist since!!
    I was going to say Christophe Lemaitre, but looks like he didn't do the 100m in London.

International

Helping to construct the London Aquatics centre

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    There were allegations on the BBC last year claiming that Wells was a roider

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I was going to say Christophe Lemaitre, but looks like he didn't do the 100m in London.
    Nuts isn't it!

Christophe is sub 10 seconds but to have no white finalists in 32 years is just bizarre. I get we're physically different as it goes the other way for swimming but 32 years and not one finalist is just odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Nuts isn't it!

Christophe is sub 10 seconds but to have no white finalists in 32 years is just bizarre. I get we're physically different as it goes the other way for swimming but 32 years and not one finalist is just odd.
    White people lack high twitch fibres in their muscles apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    The 200m final at the 1980 Olympics was incredible. Pietro Mennea came from miles back to pip Wells on the line, great, great finish from Mennea who looked nothing like a sprinter, he was thin as a rake but super fast.

Regarding Wells being on steroids, I think it was Drew McMaster who gave the game away. If you look at footage of Wells in say 78, he was a lot smaller than two years later when he was all muscled up.