+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff hotel advice please...

Cardiff hotel advice please...

My wife and me are coming home for a few days in early September; can anyone recommend a decent hotel in the city that won't cost me a fortune?
    Also...
    It has been 37 years since we left and we have never really explored the changes, we are looking for places to visit, like the Bay and such, so suggestions will be welcome.
    thanks in advance...

Re: Cardiff hotel advice please...

You need to give an indication of what o fortune is for you. The best value hotel in Cardiff to my mind is the Park Plaza in Greyfriars Road but it may not seem cheap to everyone.

37 years means the City Centre has changed dramatically since you were here. Lots of decent places to eat in the Centre and around the Bay too.

Consider The Village Hotel at Coryton

https://www.village-hotels.co.uk/hotels/cardiff/

Ample parking; bus and train links to Town Centre; just off Junction 32 M4

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post
    My wife and me are coming home for a few days in early September; can anyone recommend a decent hotel in the city that won't cost me a fortune?
    Also...
    It has been 37 years since we left and we have never really explored the changes, we are looking for places to visit, like the Bay and such, so suggestions will be welcome.
    thanks in advance...
    Holiday Inn, top of Westgate street, nice size room, good breakie, convenient to everywhere, boat to the bay just across the road

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Midget View Post
    Consider The Village Hotel at Coryton

https://www.village-hotels.co.uk/hotels/cardiff/

Ample parking; bus and train links to Town Centre; just off Junction 32 M4
    I stayed in the village swansea great hotels sometimes they do rooms for 20 quid.upper deck 27 quid with free wifi and sky.use of the pool and gym as well.loads better than premier inns

If you want to explore the Bay then the Future Inn is reasonably priced and also a short cab ride away, or 15 minute walk, from the City Cenrre

FAO cantonboy

A couple of years ago Croesy recommended taking a boat from near the Millstad down to the Bay when I said that I was going to spend a bit more time in Cardiff one weekend after many years of rushing home after games or seeing my old mates in the suburbs. It was well worth the trip - and a walk over the barrage was both enjoyable and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Holiday Inn, top of Westgate street, nice size room, good breakie, convenient to everywhere, boat to the bay just across the road
    Seems the best location so far but reviews are very mixed, not sure whether to drive from Burton On Trent or get the train for just over £83 for the pair of us.
    Thanks TBG, that does sound the thing to do.

Best hotel in Cardiff

Park Plaza or St David's

Best value for money

The Parc Hotel

What's the Premier Inn in Churchill Way like?
    Would be for 3 nights max.

What's the Premier Inn in Churchill Way like?
    Would be for 3 nights max.
    Overpriced in my experience

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    FAO cantonboy

A couple of years ago Croesy recommended taking a boat from near the Millstad down to the Bay when I said that I was going to spend a bit more time in Cardiff one weekend after many years of rushing home after games or seeing my old mates in the suburbs. It was well worth the trip - and a walk over the barrage was both enjoyable and interesting.
    Glad to have helped and pleased you remembered who gave you the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Overpriced in my experience
    For 4 nights...£240 or £200.50 if no amendments or refunds
    Seems cheap to me

Yeah that is good. Whenever I've looked at it it's been around £79 a night and you can get a better hotel for that money

Try Jolyons at No.10 Cathedral Road.

Excellent boutique hotel not overly expensive.

Thanks for the help, train and hotel booked for Monday Sept 5th until Thursday Sept 8th
    Plan A...
    Monday afternoon, wandering around city centre, shops (bliss) and finding places to eat for later
    Tuesday, water taxi (Thanks TBG and Elysium) to the bay
    Wednesday, train to Barry Island for old times sake and maybe meet up with Steve R and Mrs
    Any advice on where to eat (not high end, that ain't us really) and anywhere else to go would be appreciated.

Decent grub and a cheap pint in the queens vaults on westgate street, proper traditional pub.

Thanks for the help, train and hotel booked for Monday Sept 5th until Thursday Sept 8th
    Plan A...
    Monday afternoon, wandering around city centre, shops (bliss) and finding places to eat for later
    Wednesday, train to Barry Island for old times sake and maybe meet up with Steve R and Mrs
    Any advice on where to eat (not high end, that ain't us really) and anywhere else to go would be appreciated.
    unlimited places to eat in cardiff now.

smokehaus is good if you like wings / ribs. pub grub in almost every pub, loads of restaurants inc TGI and Nandos in St Davids 2.

I wouldn't bother with the all you can eat places like Red Hot World Buffet. It's OK but a bit bland.

When down the bay there are any number of restaurants or again pub grub that's good value at somewhere like The Eli Jenkins.

You have so much choice, it's not like the old days when you had had a few options.

Millennium Stadium tour, Cardiff Castle,

St. Fagans and the National Museum (closed Mondays) are free. The latter would be easy for you to fit in, the dinosaurs and interactive area on the ground floor are worth a visit by themselves. The Castle, for £12 entrance, is poor value in my opinion.

... maybe meet up with Steve R and Mrs
    Any advice on where to eat (not high end, that ain't us really)... would be appreciated.
    Greggs have a very nice, reasonably-priced area in their Barry shop.

Plan A...
    Hey, be good to see you again mate. Let us know!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Midget View Post
    Greggs have a very nice, reasonably-priced area in their Barry shop.
    I can't knock Greggs, they employ my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Decent grub and a cheap pint in the queens vaults on westgate street, proper traditional pub.
    Also on Westgate Street is the Urban Tap House it brews it's own beer (tiny rebel) really nice pints and the burgers in there are some of the best I've had