+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Impact Players

Blue in the Face

Impact Players

Make a case for CCFC players who you think have made a big impact on our club. (From any time in our history)

Blue in the Face

Re: Impact Players

Might be an odd one for many, but I'm going to nominate Heidar Helguson. 8 goals and 5 assist in 38 league games is hardly a club record. But all his goals came in the first part of our promotion season. Many of them last minute match winners. Were it not for our great start that year, the autos could possibly have eluded us.

More than anything else, Helguson was as hard working a player as I've seen playing for city for a long time and a great team player. Wish we could have the 2012-13 Helguson back in this team.

Peter Whittngham.

So many wonderful goals.

It was also a pleasure watching some of Jay Bothroyds hold up play in his time with us.

Edit - misread the thread requirement

I'll make a case for Dave Marshall.

Without him we would not have got promoted. We would also have looked even more of a PL shambles than we did, if it were not for Marshy.

He's made the difference for City so many times since his arrival.
    Fantastic shot stopper.
    Last edited by Vimana.; 01-08-16 at 19:01.

Craig Bellamy
    We've signed a few players from Premier League clubs over the years but most were towards the end of their career or nowhere near the first team.
    Bellamy was arguably still capable of holding down a regular place in the Premier league but chose us instead.

Some good candidates mentioned already, but I'll go for

Kav.

Danny Gabbidon.

Steve McPhail.

Not here long but I'd make a case for Routledge.

Jason Koumas......was gutted that we couldn't get him signed permanently

Jon Parkin made a pretty big impact on the pitch.

Groundsmen still trying to flatten it out.

Jay Bothroyd for me

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Jason Koumas......was gutted that we couldn't get him signed permanently
    Good shout

All depends on the era I suppose. I thought Stant and Ratcliffe came in and instantly made an impact in our double winning season 1993 (This still remains my favourite ever season supporting City).

Andy Legg and Jason Bowen made an impact here in the late 90's with 3 promotions (and 1 relegation). Willie Boland and Mark Bonner played their parts too.

Obviously Kav, Thorney and Earnie from early noughties, then DJ signed a quality of player superior to anything we had seen in the previous 20 or so years with the likes of Koumas, Gary O Neil, Chopra, Mcphail, Mcormack, Bothroyd, Bellamy, Whitts.etc

Malky made some decent signings in his first 2 years, Hudson and Turner in particular, although not "impact" players Hudson was massive for this football club and his leadership still hasnt been replaces. However, for me Malky will always be remembered for the guy who blew the biggest budget this club ever had on absolute garbage.

Less said about Ole and Slades signings the better. I mean, Alex ****ing Revell ffs!!!

Finally special mention to some "impact" players who did well on loan but were utterly shite after we signed them permanently in Matt Brazier, Richard Langley and Andy Campbell although the last can be cut some slack for his goal in the play off final.
    Last edited by CCFC CASUAL; 02-08-16 at 11:18.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Good shout

All depends on the era I suppose. I thought Stant and Ratcliffe came in and instantly made an impact in our double winning season 1993 (This still remains my favourite ever season supporting City).

Andy Legg and Jason Bowen made an impact here in the late 90's with 3 promotions (and 1 relegation). Willie Boland and Mark Bonner played their parts too.

Obviously Kav, Thorney and Earnie from early noughties, then DJ signed a quality of player superior to anything we had seen in the previous 20 or so years with the likes of Koumas, Gary O Neil, Chopra, Mcphail, Mcormack, Bothroyd, Bellamy, Whitts.etc

Malky made some decent signings in his first 2 years, Hudson and Turner in particular, although not "impact" players Hudson was massive for this football club and his leadership still hasnt been replaces. However, for me Malky will always be remembered for the guy who blew the biggest budget this club ever had on absolute garbage.

Less said about Ole and Slades signings the better. I mean, Alex ****ing Revell ffs!!!

Finally special mention to some "impact" players who did well on loan but were utterly shite after we signed them permanently in Matt Brazier, Richard Langley and Andy Campbell although the last can be cut some slack for his goal in the play off final.
    Malky didnt sign Hudson.

My mistake, he did however play his best football under Malky.

His leadership in our championship winning season it what makes him stand out for me and my point still stands his leadership qualities have not been replaced.

Andy Campbell. Scored the winning goal at the Millenium Stadium in the play off final after coming on as a sub.

Edit. Sorry already mentioned in the excellent post by CCFC Casual above.
    Last edited by Vindec; 02-08-16 at 12:29.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Good shout

Got to agree with that 1993 season as the best following city but whilst I agree with the impact of Stant and ratcliffe the man who made that team tick for me was paul Ramsey one of the best midfielders ever to don a city shirt

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Not here long but I'd make a case for Routledge.

I firmly believe if Routledge had stayed with us we would have finished top two that season, some of the best football I've seen city play during that spell.

Quote Originally Posted by steve davies View Post
    Got to agree with that 1993 season as the best following city but whilst I agree with the impact of Stant and ratcliffe the man who made that team tick for me was paul Ramsey one of the best midfielders ever to don a city shirt
    Ramsey was the key man in that excellent team, I would have to agree with others that season was probably my favourite, what a team, what fun. Good times.

I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sugar Mulberry View Post
    I firmly believe if Routledge had stayed with us we would have finished top two that season, some of the best football I've seen city play during that spell.
    This is what I agree 100% with