+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Good idea?

Good idea?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/...s-talking.html
    (Apologies for Daily Mail link)

I went to an RAF function a few weeks ago and they had a rule in place there too that mobile phones were banned. One girl getting a right telling off for replying to a text!!

I'm guilty of it myself, a conversation can soon turn into reaching for your phone to check something out.

Maybe a phone shelter outside next to the smoking shelter, they better make it bigger though

Re: Good idea?

Imagine texting while driving, like this 28 year old did...
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/150247...-on-his-phone/

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/...s-talking.html
    (Apologies for Daily Mail link)

I went to an RAF function a few weeks ago and they had a rule in place there too that mobile phones were banned. One girl getting a right telling off for replying to a text!!

I'm guilty of it myself, a conversation can soon turn into reaching for your phone to check something out.

Maybe a phone shelter outside next to the smoking shelter, they better make it bigger though
    Mobile phones are a social nuisance and the more that people are able to do on them the more they appear to be glued to them. I remember a time when we didn't have them at all, prior to the briefcase mobile phones. A friend of mine chucked one of those into the Taff, out of sheer frustration at being cut off all of the time while in mid-call.

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen people crossing roads without any regard to traffic, while checking their latest meaningless update on whatever social media platform they happen to be on at the time. Technology should be able to supply simple solutions so that in public places, such as museums, theatres, cinema, and suchlike they are automatically blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Splott Dave View Post
    Mobile phones are a social nuisance and the more that people are able to do on them the more they appear to be glued to them. I remember a time when we didn't have them at all, prior to the briefcase mobile phones. A friend of mine chucked one of those into the Taff, out of sheer frustration at being cut off all of the time while in mid-call.

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen people crossing roads without any regard to traffic, while checking their latest meaningless update on whatever social media platform they happen to be on at the time. Technology should be able to supply simple solutions so that in public places, such as museums, theatres, cinema, and suchlike they are automatically blocked.
    ^^^^

What is this? Grumpy old men?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Far from it.
    We are cheerful folk who like to talk to people, rather than bury our heads in our phones.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Far from it.
    We are cheerful folk who like to talk to people, rather than bury our heads in our phones.
    Those kids with their heads in their phones are probably being cheerful and communicating with lots of people.
    It's just the way the world is these days

We are turning out generations of kids who are socially ill-equipped to converse with each other, unless they have a £500 mobile device in their hand.

'Kids' isn't accurate anymore. A large proportion of grown adults are obsessive over showing off their airbrushed Facebook lives to their 'friends' in comparison. From personal experience I have been to the pub with my old man when I have purposely put my phone on silent and in my pocket and trying to get a word out of him when he's on social media is comical. If you're with company focus has always been on the reality communication in the place you're in not virtual communication with people elsewhere. It just rudeness in most cases and it has brutally murdered the art of conversation and the next generation are going to have a sharp decline in social skills needed in life.

Quote Originally Posted by BrummieBluebird View Post
    'Kids' isn't accurate anymore. A large proportion of grown adults are obsessive over showing off their airbrushed Facebook lives to their 'friends' in comparison. From personal experience I have been to the pub with my old man when I have purposely put my phone on silent and in my pocket and trying to get a word out of him when he's on social media is comical. If you're with company focus has always been on the reality communication in the place you're in not virtual communication with people elsewhere. It just rudeness in most cases and it has brutally murdered the art of conversation and the next generation are going to have a sharp decline in social skills needed in life.
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by BrummieBluebird View Post
    It's just getting worse. I see drivers coming down entrances at motorway junctions at 70 mph plus, furiously trying to finish a text before or just as they are joining lanes of traffic. I'm reasonably confident that with generations to come all sexual acts between participants will be done doggy style in order that both can continue using their phones during intercourse.

In my experience"millennials" or whatever you want to call them are perfectly able to converse in person as well as anyone else when they want to.

You get the same things said about every younger generation, going back hundreds of years, an yet somehow we haven't regressed to grunting and throwing faeces at each other.

If anything the younger generation are better at social interaction, because they are constantly doing it.

In my experience"millennials" or whatever you want to call them are perfectly able to converse in person as well as anyone else when they want to.

You get the same things said about every younger generation, going back hundreds of years, an yet somehow we haven't regressed to grunting and throwing faeces at each other.

If anything the younger generation are better at social interaction, because they are constantly doing it.
    Just back from a week in Rome, where my wife and I were too busy taking in all of the sights and just far too busy to even think of using our phones. Everywhere we went we encountered the 'selfie generation' ignoring any information about their location, its relevance, history or purpose as all their time was taken up doing multiple 'selfies'. Ten minutes after leaving the Vatican museum they didn't have a clue what part they had been in, or what it was that the guide told them about it.

Thieves used to be a common warning when in Rome, now its kids and young adults you have to watch out for as they are whirling around like demented dervishes with their selfie sticks...

What are you on about?

image.jpg

I read some time ago that there were approximately one million mobile phone handsets in 1991 and six billion in 2016 - so six thousand of them now for each one then.

Recently in a park directly outside the National Museum I counted 30 people sat on benches or milling around and 29 of them were gawping at their phones seemingly oblivious to everything else. I couldn't help but wonder what 30 random people at the same location 25 years ago would have done to occupy themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I read some time ago that there were approximately one million mobile phone handsets in 1991 and six billion in 2016 - so six thousand of them now for each one then.

Recently in a park directly outside the National Museum I counted 30 people sat on benches or milling around and 29 of them were gawping at their phones seemingly oblivious to everything else. I couldn't help but wonder what 30 random people at the same location 25 years ago would have done to occupy themselves.
    40 years ago pigeons would be getting fed, dates would be made and sandwiches would have been shared..

Jesus Christ! And I thought I was turning into an old fart!

We are turning out generations of kids who are socially ill-equipped to converse with each other, unless they have a £500 mobile device in their hand.
    Totally agree.

In fifty years we'll have a generation of monosyllabic old people with terrible eyesight and the attention span of a goldfish.

Not like the ones we've got now at all.......

Anyone else seeing the irony of this discussion taking place on the internet? With, no doubt, some of the participants using phones/tablets to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Anyone else seeing the irony of this discussion taking place on the internet? With, no doubt, some of the participants using phones/tablets to do so.
    No! Not all. In my case I'm of an age where I've had to develop new skills to use them in addition to the ones I developed in the pre-internet age. I've enhanced my social skills, rather than have under-developed ones.

While we're on the subject, I feel I should point out the utter twattyness of the concert going mobile phone knobheads.

What the **** is that all about?

Spending God knows how much to see a band you really want to see, waiting months for it to come around, getting there early to soak up the atmosphere and have a few drinks, waiting patiently through the support band, until finally the moment arrives and the music begins......

......and then you've got bellends spending the next ninety minutes holding up a phone rather than actually enjoying what they're there to witness.

How inspiring must it be for artists to look out at a sea of people and rather than see everyone jumping up and down, singing along etc, all they see are people holding up mobile phones so they can get home and upload shitty shaky footage onto Facebook.

I actually watched a clip of a Slipknot concert the other day where some guy up against the barrier was texting mid song. Or at least he was until the lead singer jumped off stage and knocked his precious phone out of his hand.

Personally I think all filming on phones should result in getting kicked out of concerts - put your phone away and enjoy the ****ing gig you idiots. That's what you're there for - if you want to watch it on a screen, wait until it comes out on dvd.

And don't even get me started on those ****ing morons that whip their phone out in a restaurant and start taking pictures of their food to put on Facebook. News flash dickhead - nobody gives a shit what you had for tea.

And breathe......
    Last edited by Dr Lecter; 02-08-16 at 10:44.

No! Not all. In my case I'm of an age where I've had to develop new skills to use them in addition to the ones I developed in the pre-internet age. I've enhanced my social skills, rather than have under-developed ones.
    I suggest to you that your assumption that the youth of today have under developed social skills is erroneous.

Every generation says the same and from what I've seen the apprentices and students we get in work are way more confident and talkative than I was at that age.

I don't know about their social skills, but today's yoofs are definitely expanding their waistlines. How on earth will they be able to hold down a job until they reach the State Pension age of 86 in 2080?