+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The EU and Turkey, help me please

The EU and Turkey, help me please

Have i got this drastically wrong?

Turkey put a stop to the migrants coming across from Bodrum - i say Bodrum but that area in general is closest to Kos so....

Turkey put a stop to the migrant flow on the condition that the EU lifted visa requirements completely for Turkish passport holders, essentially allowing them into the free-access agreement despite not being in the EU. Turkey have not seen this condition met and are now threatening to allow the migrants to continue unchecked - in many cases sending them to their deaths at sea - unless this visa restriction is lifted.

So, the EU, in trying to stop thousands and thousands of illegal immigrants enter its borders, is giving open access to a country with 80 million people instead?

BREXIT - it makes more sense by the day. Jesus what a bunch of idiots.

Re: The EU and Turkey, help me please

Wrong forum. You know the rules.

fair one, i was remiss here.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Wrong forum. You know the rules.
    Yes, how dare he want to discuss issues that will affect family and friends for generations to come, in a forum that gets more than two visitors a day

Crisps - I like Bovril flavour, how about you?

Just because you can visit a country without a visa doesn't mean you can move there. It just means instead of needing your passport and a piece of paper you just need your passport.

Lifting visa requirements is not open access for living at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Just because you can visit a country without a visa doesn't mean you can move there. It just means instead of needing your passport and a piece of paper you just need your passport.

Lifting visa requirements is not open access for living at all.
    So you mean you can "go missing" with just a passport, instead of a passport and a piece of paper?

You could do that when there's visa restrictions so what difference would it make?

You could do that when there's visa restrictions so what difference would it make?
    Probably something to do with comprehensive screening and tracking, otherwise every country in the world would have visa free access. As an exercise for the reader, ask yourself what is the reason why they don't?

It doesn't make it any less easier to go missing though or to take up residence which is what your original point was.

Also could you tell me what extra information you put on a visa that isn't on the chip in your passport?

It doesn't make it any less easier to go missing though or to take up residence which is what your original point was.

Also could you tell me what extra information you put on a visa that isn't on the chip in your passport?
    Didn't you know you are not supposed to answer a question with a question?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Didn't you know you are not supposed to answer a question with a question?
    Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Why not?
    It might lead to a request for a visa being turned down because they think the person is a bit thick

gluey having a 'mare in the full gaze of the main board

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    gluey having a 'mare in the full gaze of the main board
    Croesy Blue sniffs glue?

Having just applied for a visa, they wanted current bank statements, reason for visit, address where I will be staying, details of return flights and a letter from my employer stating that I would be returning to my job. This seems to be the standard procedure, with people coming in the opposite probably subject to even more scrutiny.

Having just applied for a visa, they wanted current bank statements, reason for visit, address where I will be staying, details of return flights and a letter from my employer stating that I would be returning to my job. This seems to be the standard procedure, with people coming in the opposite probably subject to even more scrutiny.
    Where you off?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    These visa's that you talk about - are they working visas or holiday visas ?

Of the million that come how many do you think will just vanish and work in the illegal economy to send the money back home - and so reduce wages for everyone else here.
    Visa free entry is also the preferred method of entry for thieves, prostitutes, terrorists, rapists, and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    These visa's that you talk about - are they working visas or holiday visas ?

Of the million that come how many do you think will just vanish and work in the illegal economy to send the money back home - and so reduce wages for everyone else here.
    They're holiday visas, Turkish people won't be able to obtain work visas via free movement.

I'm not sure how many will vanish and work illegally, how many do you think? Surely we should be cracking down on the people who employ them illegally if they're doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    Where you off?
    I'm wearing white Y-fronts and I had chicken curry for tea. What else do you want to know?

Where are you going? You don't need bank statements and an employee letter for a holiday visa?

I started working abroad lasts month actually, although within the EU and even though it's quite a lot of paperwork even when it's through a company who already employ you.

Just to add I'm completely against Turkey being allowed in the EU with their human rights record and current government.

I don't think allowing travel via a visa waiver as we have via the U.S is a gateway to this at all and also don't think it encourages illegal working any more than travelling on a visa does.

Where are you going? You don't need bank statements and an employee letter for a holiday visa?

I started working abroad lasts month actually, although within the EU and even though it's quite a lot of paperwork even when it's through a company who already employ you.
    It all depends which country people are travelling to, and those coming in the opposite direction also have the added pleasure of personal interviews to look forward to.

Generally speaking Brits have visa free travel in most countries as it's a money spinner for the host nation, but that is not always reciprocated.
    Last edited by Wales-Bales; 02-08-16 at 18:04.

I'm wearing white Y-fronts and I had chicken curry for tea. What else do you want to know?
    You aren't going away really are you.

It all depends which country people are travelling to, and those coming in the opposite direction also have the added pleasure of personal interviews to look forward to.
    Very unlikely for a holiday visa that you'd have to have an interview or give all the information you've listed.

For a work visa yes but that would mean the person was coming over legally to work anyway.

Just to add I'm completely against Turkey being allowed in the EU with their human rights record and current government.

I don't think allowing travel via a visa waiver as we have via the U.S is a gateway to this at all and also don't think it encourages illegal working any more than travelling on a visa does.
    Don't forget the economic discrepancies that exist between developed countries and the rest of the world. In your example you have chosen two like-for-like countries, and they also have favourable reciprocal employment agreements in place, which more or less eliminates the need to work illegally.