+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cornelius

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cornelius

Quote Originally Posted by steve davies View Post
    I don't believe anyone has been able to prove there was anything dodgy about the actual money side of the transfer but the biggest disappointment for me was that malky's so called three stage transfer dossier had failed miserably and when he realized he had bought a pup claimed he was for the future when we were desperate for a proven striker for the premiership campaign.
    And this was after giving him the number 9 shirt.
    I know shirt numbers don't mean the same as they used to, but when you give the number 9 shirt to a new incoming striker, then you imagine he is to be the main man, not one to bed in gently.
    We should have been signing for survival that first season, not buying to develop youth.

Re: Cornelius

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    And this was after giving him the number 9 shirt.
    I know shirt numbers don't mean the same as they used to, but when you give the number 9 shirt to a new incoming striker, then you imagine he is to be the main man, not one to bed in gently.
    We should have been signing for survival that first season, not buying to develop youth.
    Ideally, we could have done both in the summer of 2013. Cornelius wouldn't have been bought as, say, Medel was (i.e. as a finished article), he would have come here with the hope that he could develop in the Premier League until he reached a stage where we could have sold him at a profit. Where Mackay got it wrong was that, if Cornelius really was bought here as "one for the future", then we spent way, way, way too much on him - as you say, we should have been signing for survival, Hull and Palace spent a lot less than us (we had decent money to spend after Mackay was sacked as well), yet bought a lot more sensibly than we did.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 05-08-16 at 08:17.