+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cornelius

Cornelius

Banging them in for Copenhagen again. A couple so far in Champs League qualifying tonight

Re: Cornelius

Could work well in trollope's new system?!

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    Could work well in trollope's new system?!
    Toyota.

He's a better player than we saw. Looking at the clips he likes it played into feet or to run oni through balls. In the few chances he had here we just lumped it upto him from 70 yards away and expected him to hold it up. That isn't his game

Whether he was ever good or not we paid him a lot of money to never give him a chance to show us one way or another. It was truly crass how we treated him as an employee and I think it should be seen as one of the worst moments of those times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    He's a better player than we saw. Looking at the clips he likes it played into feet or to run oni through balls. In the few chances he had here we just lumped it upto him from 70 yards away and expected him to hold it up. That isn't his game
    He couldn't run, shoot or head the ball properly. He had enough of a chance to show he wasn't up to it by a good few years yet and so we wasted a huge chunk of money in nearly destroying a lad who clearly wasn't anywhere near good enough. I hope he's improved over the past 3 years - he couldn't have got any worse.

I'll blame the regime for a number of failures at that time, but getting rid of Cornelius on £45k a week was not one of them

Well I guess someone may have made a fast buck out of us.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Not mentioning any names of course. ( )

I've just come back from a long weekend in Copenhagen. It was strange to see his face on buses & advertising posters for different things. Took me a while to realise who it was.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Whether he was ever good or not we paid him a lot of money to never give him a chance to show us one way or another. It was truly crass how we treated him as an employee and I think it should be seen as one of the worst moments of those times.
    I agree with this. That press release was one of Tan's lows. Maybe not his lowest but it was petty and spiteful, and I daresay it put some players off wanting to join us.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I agree with this. That press release was one of Tan's lows. Maybe not his lowest but it was petty and spiteful, and I daresay it put some players off wanting to join us.
    Bellamy called him the worst professional he's ever seen, and not in terms of footballing ability. There was something extremely fishy about that transfer and Cornelius was atrocious. He never hit the target once in shooting drills before the game, he couldn't trap a bag of cement or run. His diving "header" was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Bellamy called him the worst professional he's ever seen, and not in terms of footballing ability. There was something extremely fishy about that transfer and Cornelius was atrocious. He never hit the target once in shooting drills before the game, he couldn't trap a bag of cement or run. His diving "header" was hilarious.
    All that can be true and it doesn't make the press release ok.

I can't see how he could have been that bad - I mean he has 8 Danish caps even managing to get an international goal. He is also a fairly competent scorer a club level, albeit in a poor league.

I suppose the attitude thing may have been an issue. In fairness though if, at 20 years old, you get a £40k per week pay rise and a chance to play in one of the top leagues in the world it would probably go to most people's head!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Cornelius must have departed with a very healthy bank balance to console him.

The ,most dangerous place was in the stands to the side and above the goalposts.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Not mentioning any names of course. ( )
    But just to be clear, we're talking about Zenith, right?

That^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The ,most dangerous place was in the stands to the side and above the goalposts.
    My season ticket was in that corner and you would have to see it to truly believe it.

I remember one game he didnt hit the target once, the longer it went on the harder he was trying and worse he was getting. He cleared the net behind the goal twice, and eventually when the keeper and rest of the players went in he rolled one into an empty net and the Canton Stand let out a massive ironic cheer which although funny at the time was not a great sign really for an 8m signing on 45k a week!!!!

Some of Whitts finishing in those drills was a joy to watch, better than all of our strikers at the time only Bellamy ran him close.

Cornelius came in on a big money, big news ticket, and was supposedly on a huge wage.

Some of 'our more vocal players' might have taken some umbrage at that, and maybe pulled holes in everything he did from the outset.
    I recall someone 'ITK' hinting around the time that word was that Cornelius was given a very hard time 'by some' .

If so , of course he 'only' had to prove them wrong, but I don't think he was ready, nor probably had enough in his locker to overcome it.
    And there may of course be more to the story, financially.

Tan calling him a 'Toyota', was pretty low though.

The guy was unlikely to have been worth the hype, nor the cash , but is clearly not the utter gash that he was made out to be..
    Last edited by Vimana.; 04-08-16 at 13:13.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    All that can be true and it doesn't make the press release ok.
    Not Tans finest moment agreed but you could understand his frustration

Malky had certain sections of the fan base wrapped around his finger, the charlatan could do no wrong, and that was Tans breaking point.

I can't say I saw enough of him to make an informed opinion of his ability, but there was certainly something amiss with the whole transfer - money that should've been spent on a player, or players, that could've kept us up.

Certainly seemed to be the beginning of the end of the Tan/Malky relationship.

Tan has doen a lot that he can be criticised for, but the same manager who asked him for a fortune to sign the guy, then turns round and tells him he isn't good enough - if I was Tan I'd have fired Malky on the spot for that alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q_Igv0NAYo

No one came out of the Cornelius saga well.

It's funny how history has been rewritten with regard to the Cornelius transfer.

As I recall, the reaction from the majority of Cardiff fans when the guy was signed was that the transfer was something of a coup from the canny Mackay, who had allegedly beaten several other Premier League clubs to the lad's signature, while the player himself was widely hailed as one of the rising stars of European football and someone with great potential.

I can also remember supporters getting excited by the fact that Cornelius had been hailed as star in the making by none other than that wise old owl Ole Gunnar Solsksjaer, who was quoted as saying that Manchester United should be considering him as a transfer option. Ironic, huh?

Now, it seems, everyone thought there was something dodgy about the transfer all along, while the apparently ambitious manager wasn't bothered about his first season in the top flight or his rising reputation and was merely interested in lining his own pockets at Tan's expense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It's funny how history has been rewritten with regard to the Cornelius transfer.

As I recall, the reaction from the majority of Cardiff fans when the guy was signed was that the transfer was something of a coup from the canny Mackay, who had allegedly beaten several other Premier League clubs to the lad's signature, while the player himself was widely hailed as one of the rising stars of European football and someone with great potential.

I can also remember supporters getting excited by the fact that Cornelius had been hailed as star in the making by none other than that wise old owl Ole Gunnar Solsksjaer, who was quoted as saying that Manchester United should be considering him as a transfer option. Ironic, huh?

Now, it seems, everyone thought there was something dodgy about the transfer all along, while the apparently ambitious manager wasn't bothered about his first season in the top flight or his rising reputation and was merely interested in lining his own pockets at Tan's expense.
    Welcome back TLG.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Then why didn't the ambitious manager play this rising star of European football who he had beaten several Premiership clubs to sign?