+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: So when will a transfer embargo be imposed

So when will a transfer embargo be imposed

on Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Brighton and co in a failed attempt to buy promotion last season?

Re: So when will a transfer embargo be imposed

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    on Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Brighton and co in a failed attempt to buy promotion last season?
    Probably when they are found to have broken the Financial Fair Play rules, but that's just a guess.

I had a look at Derbys accounts last night. Last season is obviously not available, but their losses the seasons before weren't that big. Their turnover was just over average for the Championship - about £21m-10k extra fans only accounts for about £2-£3m of turnover, but their wage bill was £21m.
    Loss was£10m

I'd expect both wages and losses would have been much higher last year, they have to be getting close now.

Brighton similar for 14/15

T/o £23m, Wages £19m, loss £7m

Obviously more complicated than this and again surely much increased costs last year, but the rules have changed so they can gamble for a season or 2 - not sure when the change takes affect.

Sheff Weds

14/15

Turnover £15m
    Loss £4m
    Wages £13m

Last year probably a lot lot higher !

Blue in the Face

Thanks for the info Lawnmower. Interesting.

The big news here is that Lawnmower was casually examining Derby's accounts, just in his spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    The big news here is that Lawnmower was casually examining Derby's accounts, just in his spare time.

😄 I was checking it out as we'd been discussing something similar at the Travel Group Meeting earlier this week and so I wanted to find out for myself

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Each to their own

Thanks for the info. Does the embargo ever stop anyone signing players during the summer window or does it just affect January like ours?