+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mathematician required to solve argument.

Mathematician required to solve argument.

Im currently trying to sort my garden and have decided to gravel where it was previously grass. Now for this job they sell a reinforced plastic grid that clips together to create the size you need.

My problem comes when measuring the area. Lets say i have a garden that is 5m x 5m. Now the argument comes as to how they advertise these things. I would refer to my 5x5 garden as 5m2, but my wife says its 25m2. Ive been far to long out of school but still remember how to work volume/area etc and realise that if i was working out an area that wasnt so easy and instead 9x2 i would indeed say it was 18m2.

Ive been confused as many of the cheaper sites which i doubt fall under any advertising laws, alternate between advertising 5 actual grids of 1 meter squares and advertising 5m2. So my question is, assuming im wrong, which im pretty certain i am. If 1m2 is 1 x 1, is a square 2 x 2 2m2 or 4m2? And if my garden is 5 meters long by 5 meters wide then what is it! Also if anybody wants to point out a good reason to defend me as to why i am so confused over year 2 maths then please give me a shout.

Ill be honest ive confused myself with it so much, that im going to be waiting for a truck to deliver my order and the postie will put it through the letterbox.

Re: Mathematician required to solve argument.

How did the mathematician cure his constipation?

He worked it out with a pencil and ruler.

If your garden is 5m by 5m it's 25m2 think of it as a grid of 1m squares of which your garden is made of Of a 5 by 5 grid.

I recently worked at a property that had this plastic grid system filled with chippings on the drive. The drive was on a steep incline and when I tried to move the van it couldn't get any traction and I ended up rolling back into their garage. Fecking stupid stuff.

I'd say it is 5m2 and 25 square metres which I believe are both the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny London View Post
    I'd say it is 5m2 and 25 square metres which I believe are both the same.
    5m X 5m is 25m2 which is the same thing as 25 square meters

There's a diagram that explains it here

http://www.storage.co.uk/step-by-ste...pace-do-i-need

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    I recently worked at a property that had this plastic grid system filled with chippings on the drive. The drive was on a steep incline and when I tried to move the van it couldn't get any traction and I ended up rolling back into their garage. Fecking stupid stuff.
    They are made for driveways i believe, but i just want to use them for a patch of garden to put a seating area etc on without it all sinking into the chippings. Sounds to me like you are trying to blame the owner of the drive to escape any blame for your shoddy driving.

Quote Originally Posted by dave jones attacking sub View Post
    They are made for driveways i believe, but i just want to use them for a patch of garden to put a seating area etc on without it all sinking into the chippings. Sounds to me like you are trying to blame the owner of the drive to escape any blame for your shoddy driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    5m X 5m is 25m2 which is the same thing as 25 square meters

There's a diagram that explains it here

http://www.storage.co.uk/step-by-ste...pace-do-i-need
    Believe it or not i used to be an assistant for a quantity surveyor when i was a teenager. Im starting to wonder if i had anything to do with his business failing. (it did seem to cheap when i billed the council £3.50 for a full street to be paved)

Anyway, if i get back onto defending myself. If we put this into a different measurement such as miles, a breaking news story flashes up * Police are searching a 10 square mile area for ....* Are you telling me infact they have been searching an area that is something just over 3 miles X something just over 3 miles? As i would have previously thought that it was an area of 10 miles by 10 miles

My effort:
    5m x 5m = 25m2
    5m x 1m = 5m2

Believe it or not i used to be an assistant for a quantity surveyor when i was a teenager. Im starting to wonder if i had anything to do with his business failing. (it did seem to cheap when i billed the council £3.50 for a full street to be paved)

Anyway, if i get back onto defending myself. If we put this into a different measurement such as miles, a breaking news story flashes up * Police are searching a 10 square mile area for ....* Are you telling me infact they have been searching an area that is something just over 3 miles X something just over 3 miles? As i would have previously thought that it was an area of 10 miles by 10 miles
    10 miles by 10 miles is 100 square miles.

I'd suggest you leave the maths to your missis

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    My effort:
    5m x 5m = 25m2
    5m x 1m = 5m2
    Wrong as 5 x 1 is not a square

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Wrong as 5 x 1 is not a square
    http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/58423.html

So are you calling "Dr math" wrong also? At least somebody else has come across the same mistake as me which softens the blow a little

Yeah 10 square miles is just over 3x3 miles

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/58423.html

So are you calling "Dr math" wrong also? At least somebody else has come across the same mistake as me which softens the blow a little
    5m2 is 2.2362x2.2362

Cheeky c*nt, the drive had a 1:4 gradiant, a fully laden van with a front wheel drive had no chance, the bloke had to tow me off with his tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    5m2 is 2.2362x2.2362
    That is the square root of a square measuring 5m2. However, a rectangle measuring 5m x 1m would have an area of 5m2 also.

5 metres x 5 metres is 25 square metres but it is a 5 metre square

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    5 metres x 5 metres is 25 square metres but it is a 5 metre square
    Definitively correct!

5 metres x 1 metre = 5 sq metres

5 metres x 1 metre = 5 sq metres
    http://www.endmemo.com/cconvert/m2m.php

My effort:
    5m x 5m = 25m2
    5m x 1m = 5m2
    typo: 5m2 = 5m x 1m

Voluntarily discussing maths?

Nutters

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    Voluntarily discussing maths?

Nutters
    What a nasty, insidious, uncalled for post.

Really uncalled for. Decent mathematicians who have had to put up with comments such as this all their lives.