+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mathematician required to solve argument.

Re: Mathematician required to solve argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    What a nasty, insidious, uncalled for post.

Really uncalled for. Decent mathematicians who have had to put up with comments such as this all their lives.
    Oh feck, here we go

Just give Croesy a nudge and tell him he's wanted over here - we need his self righteous victim strop or this thread is going nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Cheeky c*nt, the drive had a 1:4 gradiant, a fully laden van with a front wheel drive had no chance, the bloke had to tow me off with his tractor.
    Knowing what you now know about it, would you still have driven up it?

Quote Originally Posted by Splott Dave View Post
    Knowing what you now know about it, would you still have driven up it?
    I reversed down it to get to the property, parked at the top of it the next day, didn't want to tempt fate. the chippings were big feckers, that didn't help because the plastic grid things, which look like honeycomb, are designed for small gravel I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Cheeky c*nt, the drive had a 1:4 gradiant, a fully laden van with a front wheel drive had no chance, the bloke had to tow me off with his tractor.
    Is that an euphemism?

If you garden is a square, 5m in each direction, then it is 5 m2, five metres square, or 25 square metres.

It is NOT 25m2 (25metres squared) which means 25 metres in each direction.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    If you garden is a square, 5m in each direction, then it is 5 m2, five metres square, or 25 square metres.

It is NOT 25m2 (25metres squared) which means 25 metres in each direction.
    25m2 is 5m by 5m and is the same as 25 square meters

source I have a maths degree and also here http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...-meter-squared

Your mixing metres squared and square metres.

5m2 (5*5m) is 25square metres.

The standard measure is square metres. So you need 25 squares metres of the stuff for your 5m2 garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    25m2 is 5m by 5m and is the same as 25 square meters

source I have a maths degree and also here http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...-meter-squared
    Did you buy your maths degree on the internet?

25m2 is 25 metres squared - ie 25m x 25m
    25 square metres is what you get from 5m x 5m

Lot of mares being had here. Metres aren't square, I saw a metre ruler in school before and it was a long stick of wood, it was a long rectangle if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Lot of mares being had here. Metres aren't square, I saw a metre ruler in school before and it was a long stick of wood, it was a long rectangle if anything.
    Finally, the definitive answer.

Quote Originally Posted by dave jones attacking sub View Post
    Im currently trying to sort my garden and have decided to gravel where it was previously grass. Now for this job they sell a reinforced plastic grid that clips together to create the size you need.

My problem comes when measuring the area. Lets say i have a garden that is 5m x 5m. Now the argument comes as to how they advertise these things. I would refer to my 5x5 garden as 5m2, but my wife says its 25m2. Ive been far to long out of school but still remember how to work volume/area etc and realise that if i was working out an area that wasnt so easy and instead 9x2 i would indeed say it was 18m2.

Ive been confused as many of the cheaper sites which i doubt fall under any advertising laws, alternate between advertising 5 actual grids of 1 meter squares and advertising 5m2. So my question is, assuming im wrong, which im pretty certain i am. If 1m2 is 1 x 1, is a square 2 x 2 2m2 or 4m2? And if my garden is 5 meters long by 5 meters wide then what is it! Also if anybody wants to point out a good reason to defend me as to why i am so confused over year 2 maths then please give me a shout.

Ill be honest ive confused myself with it so much, that im going to be waiting for a truck to deliver my order and the postie will put it through the letterbox.
    You need to specify if they are gas meters or electric meters, it makes a hell of a difference

I understand 25m2 to be 25 square metres. It's common to see it as superscript isn't often used.
    Quick question - can we add html code to our replies? 25m2

A. Yes we can