+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The political views of young people

The political views of young people

I don't take seriously the opinions of anyone under 40. Although might agree with young people demonstrating about something I usually think they are demonstrating because of peer pressure or selfishness and they don't really understand what they are demonstrating about.

When I see young people talking on TV in political debates I don't bother listening to them. I know they are entitled to their views but I have no respect for anything they have to say. Do any of you feel the same way ? I'm not saying we should ignore them. I'm just describing what happens to me when I listen to them.

The only MPs I have any respect for are usually those over 70. By that age they have started to realise what is going on.

I considered myself to be a very knowledgeable and serious minded 18 year old but I no long believe anything I believed then. Although I was very well read for my age I had no real understanding of human nature. I used to dismiss the views of older people because I thought they were ignorant. Yet the opposite was the case. I was the ignorant one. I had only started learning about life.

Here's a good interview here with an 82 year old Russian who is able to tell us how Russians see the current anti-Putin propaganda. This man has a lot of experience of the world and of different cultures. He speaks perfect English, Russian and French. He has met all the world leaders. This is someone whose views I respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG2beCe2AUw

Re: The political views of young people

These same young people make shit music too, and don't get me started on their script writing talents or their inability to produce decent TV adverts

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    These same young people make shit music too, and don't get me started on their script writing talents or their inability to produce decent TV adverts
    The OP has made some very worthwhile points, as have you, but they are unrelated to each other. It's perfectly possible to be extremely gifted and talented at a comparatively young age, yet know almost next to nothing when it comes to life experiences.
    As you get older you become less trusting of all sorts of things, far more questioning and generally skeptical of what you're told or read about on TV or newspapers for example. In general terms people turn out to be a disappointment in one way or another and you usually find if you have four really good friends, you are doing okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Here's some really alternative political views on Syria. Are they right? I don't know. But they are valid from someone who is very influential in the region.

This is the paragraph that I found of particular relevance:

"War on Syria is not about freedom or democracy or elections or constitutions. This is about the Syrian government not kneeling. This is about ‪Syria‬ refusing to be a tool of American-Zionist hegemony. This is because Syria holds on to Resistance, refuses to betray Iran, defends Palestine, demands the return of the Golan Heights and maintains its sovereignty. This is because Syria is still a bastion of Arabism. Mark my words, if Bashar al-Assad was to say right now that he'd become a slave for the US-"Israel" scheme, the war against Syria would be over tomorrow."

http://www.english.alahednews.com.lb...9#.V6begbgrLIW

These views certainly fly in the face of anything that we've been fed by western media over the last five years. Do they deserve to be aired? Certainly, as how else would we get a balanced informative account of that particular situation. Do they need to be believed in entirety? Of course not. In precisely the same way that we should be questioning western mainstream media accounts of what is going on there and why, we need to question these accounts/views as well.

Another account of yours SD? Why are you replying to your own thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    Totally transparent BD (as those who know me will confirm) SD as an account was started in 2007/8. It's the same one that I use on Twitter. The reply covered two entirely different issues.

Out of courtesy I addressed those that Wales-Bales brought up independently of the main topic of the thread. The second reply to him is self-evidently related to the topic and deals with an alternative different political perspective, on a much talked about political issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    A lot of hot air from Barry Dragon but what else would you expect from a dragon? I am not a sock puppet. I happen to agree with Splott Dave's views on Syria, but I imagine we would disagree on other topics.

When you look closely at how our government has behaved in Syria and in the rest of the Middle East you can only conclude that our foreign policy is being dictated by the interests of foreign governments rather than by the interests of the British people. The word for that is treachery. Our politicians are betraying us for personal gain.

But to get back to the original topic. I was chatting this morning with a man who sent his son to a school which had great results and this man's opinion made me rethink my views about young people. This man said the kids were bullied by the teachers into getting top results but it was worth it. I looked online about what the kids thought now about the school and some of them were very unhappy. They were frightened of the teachers and they seemed to think this had caused problems for them in later life.

I think the views of these children should have been taken into account. They should have been able to influence or change education policy. The results wouldn't have been as good but they might have been happier in later life. If their views on education policy should be taken seriously then their other political views on things which affect them should also be respected.