+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How serious are we going to take the cup game on Thursday?

How serious are we going to take the cup game on Thursday?

Paul Trollope going back to his former club.

Will he risk making too many changes from his best side?

I hope not, I'm not a fan of teams fielding significantly weaker sides because it'll bite us on the ass.

Apparently we've not sold 1000 tickets yet. Game is live on TV which has an impact,. Tickets only a tenner though.

Re: How serious are we going to take the cup game on Thursday?

And for this the QPR game has been moved to a Sunday. I guess that's what you get when you sell your soul to SKY.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Paul Trollope going back to his former club.

Will he risk making too many changes from his best side?

I hope not, I'm not a fan of teams fielding significantly weaker sides because it'll bite us on the ass.

Apparently we've not sold 1000 tickets yet. Game is live on TV which has an impact,. Tickets only a tenner though.
    Its a squad game and you have to give players who didn't start yesterday a chance to show what they can do
    I wouldn't be surprised to see these 10 in the starting 11 against Rovers on Thursday

Moore

Morrison
    Ajayi

Gunnarsson
    Adeyemi
    O'Keefe
    Kennedy
    Harris

Noone
    Zohore

Squad looking thin in a few areas..

Moore, Ajeyi, Peltier, Kennedy, Tutonda), Gunnar, O'Keefe, O'Sullivan, Adeyemi, No one, Fred.

This side will probably get beaten.

Anyone I've forgotten ?

I'm taking it serous , play our under 25' s only and tell them to express themselves ,without worry .

How many times have these players played 3-5-2? We need game time in this new system and to gel with this striker.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    How many times have these players played 3-5-2? We need game time in this new system and to gel with this striker.
    Games Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday straight after.
    Too risky to play more than a handful of the first XI

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    It is the only game I can get to this month, so would expect to see a full team .

we have a schedule of league games that involve saturday / tuesday / saturday / tuesday and we manage to put a full team out.

cup games should be no different. as a team that's been to Wembley cup finals twice in recent years we should, more than most, know what it's like to do well in the cup competitions.

Hope we do as Im watching it in a bar abroad and I hate it when we get beaten when I'm on holiday.

we have a schedule of league games that involve saturday / tuesday / saturday / tuesday and we manage to put a full team out.

cup games should be no different. as a team that's been to Wembley cup finals twice in recent years we should, more than most, know what it's like to do well in the cup competitions.
    So we put a full team out, it goes well, Marshall however takes a kick to the head diving at Taylor's feet.

Moore takes his place and an error costs us 2 points v QPR.

We miss the play offs by a point.

The decision won't look good then.

Also, there's fringe players who need competitive football - Bob and Gringo will be hanging Trollope if he doesn't use a few youngsters on Thursday and if we don't throw them in how will we know if they can do it.

Who replaces Richards or John if they get injured ?
    With Fabio seemingly on his way we need to get a wing back in quickly unless someone else steps up- good chance on Thursday to see if we have anyone who can

So we put a full team out, it goes well, Marshall however takes a kick to the head diving at Taylor's feet.

Also, there's fringe players who need competitive football - Bob and Gringo will be hanging Trollope if he doesn't use a few youngsters on Thursday and if we don't throw them in how will we know if they can do it.

With Fabio seemingly on his way we need to get a wing back in quickly unless someone else steps up- good chance on Thursday to see if we have anyone who can
    so we play a bunch of kids on Thursday and they get embarrassed on live TV. next Sunday caulker whacks Marshall in the head an he misses the Blackburn game where Moore steps in and makes an error to cost us the points etc etc etc

by all means make some changes to enable progress but not 10 changes, or even five or six. introduce a couple of players for experience but don't play a whole new side

As long as the team respects the basics they'll be OK.

(Thanks Russ).

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Agree with this. One or two changes maximum for me.

so we play a bunch of kids on Thursday and they get embarrassed on live TV. next Sunday caulker whacks Marshall in the head an he misses the Blackburn game where Moore steps in and makes an error to cost us the points etc etc etc

by all means make some changes to enable progress but not 10 changes, or even five or six. introduce a couple of players for experience but don't play a whole new side
    Mike.Your Caulker example is unavoidable.
    Mine is .

Fringe players need to play too... O'Keefe, Noone, Morrison, Moore.

Can't have it all ways.

Get these guys out there along with a few youngsters and see how they cope.

Fact it's on TV should have no relevance whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Agree with this. One or two changes maximum for me.
    Agreed one or two at the most the team need to get used to the new system and I don't believe the pre season games were enough for that so use this game as another opportunity for the players to gel

I'd rest Marshall, find a place for Morrison and, possibly, Tutonda and have O'Keefe and Gunnarsson in central midfield. If Gounongbe had put away that chance on Saturday, I would had Zohore up front with Noone playing off him, but I want him to score as soon as possible after that miss and so would keep him in, play Noone and give Zohore time off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    As long as the team respects the basics they'll be OK.

(Thanks Russ).
    That's "value the basics" thank you very much

I would put a strong team out, Maybe give Morrison a run out.....as for resting players we're only one game in.
    i would think more about getting their fitness levels up.

I would definitely give Tutonda and Ajeyi a game as they could be crucial as the season goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd rest Marshall, find a place for Morrison and, possibly, Tutonda and have O'Keefe and Gunnarsson in central midfield. If Gounongbe had put away that chance on Saturday, I would had Zohore up front with Noone playing off him, but I want him to score as soon as possible after that miss and so would keep him in, play Noone and give Zohore time off the bench.
    Agree with this, especially regarding Fred, was hoping he'd score after his horror miss. He had a shot not long after that nearly hit the corner post, needs a goal, then think he could be okay for us.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    That's "value the basics" thank you very much
    Elementary mistake! That is why Russell Slade is a great football manager and I am not.

As long as they all do the , who gives a f***.

Jesus christ when was it announced the game has been moved to Sunday.

The person I'm going with is cutting a trip away short to come back Saturday morning. FFS!.

Make a couple of changes by all means but not the whole squad. We should be looking to win the match and progress.

We only enter 3 competitions a season, to be out of one in less than a week after playing a weakened team is a joke.