+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps

What a machine this guy is 21 gold medals and possibly another 3 surely has to go down as the greatest Olympian of all time

Re: Michael Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    What a machine this guy is 21 gold medals and possibly another 3 surely has to go down as the greatest Olympian of all time
    Its hard to compare between the events, Phelps has more opportunity for golds compared to a competitor that is only competing in one event in a games, and if you lose that event you have no others chances for you to gain gold.

Steve Redgrave won 5 golds in 5 consecutive games. Which i feel is a greater achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Its hard to compare between the events, Phelps has more opportunity for golds compared to a competitor that is only competing in one event in a games, and if you lose that event you have no others chances for you to gain gold.

Steve Redgrave won 5 golds in 5 consecutive games. Which i feel is a greater achievement.
    I agree with your point about the number of events that Phelps can compete in. A boxer, for example, doesn't have that opportunity.

But had Phelps been born a few months earlier, he probably would have golds in 5 consecutive games. He's on four now and he came 5th in Sydney 2000 after he'd just turned 15. About six months later, in the same event, he broke the world record.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I agree with your point about the number of events that Phelps can compete in. A boxer, for example, doesn't have that opportunity.

But had Phelps been born a few months earlier, he probably would have golds in 5 consecutive games. He's on four now and he came 5th in Sydney 2000 after he'd just turned 15. About six months later, in the same event, he broke the world record.
    Its a fair point, similarly Redgrave won a bronze in his first Olympics and if timings were different, he could have had golds at 6.

Phelps is definitely in the top end of the discussion, in regards to Olympian achievements, and it then comes down to personal opinion.

If you look at the top medalist in the Olympics (summer), 4 of the top 10 are swimmers, so its a clear advantage to be in this sport if you want to win multiple medals.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Its a fair point, similarly Redgrave won a bronze in his first Olympics and if timings were different, he could have had golds at 6.

Phelps is definitely in the top end of the discussion, in regards to Olympian achievements, and it then comes down to personal opinion.

If you look at the top medalist in the Olympics (summer), 4 of the top 10 are swimmers, so its a clear advantage to be in this sport if you want to win multiple medals.
    No, Redgrave won gold at every Olympics he attended. His bronze came in 1988, along with a gold.

No, Redgrave won gold at every Olympics he attended. His bronze came in 1988, along with a gold.
    Yes, your right my mistake.

Phelps is still an incredible achievement and i accept that it is spectacular in a sport that demands more power and as such is more suited to a younger individual.

Phelps quite likely would've lost his individual race if the Olympics were 6 months further along, he only won by .04 of a second so I would guess 6 months is a long time in swimming with such a small margin.

Although it's a fairly mute point as the relay team would still have won in 6 months so he'd have got the 5th consecutive medal anyway.

Just ignore me.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    Phelps quite likely would've lost his individual race if the Olympics were 6 months further along, he only won by .04 of a second so I would guess 6 months is a long time in swimming with such a small margin.

Although it's a fairly mute point as the relay team would still have won in 6 months so he'd have got the 5th consecutive medal anyway.

Just ignore me.
    :tbg: