+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Saving lives at sea

Saving lives at sea

Well worth a watch,these people are the real heroes it's amazing to think they put their lives on the line for strangers,and for no monetary reward

Re: Saving lives at sea

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    Well worth a watch,these people are the real heroes it's amazing to think they put their lives on the line for strangers,and for no monetary reward
    A guy we meet in Tenerife every year was a member on the Fleetwood life boat for years, totally unassuming bloke but a real hero in my eyes

Love the story about the old farmer Haydn Miller who left £3 million to the RNLI with no explanation why, even his pals didn't know why he chose them to leave his money to. Anyway Tenby got a state of the art boat out of his generosity and named it after him, what a man!

Very well said.

My late Dad was RNLI for all of his able-bodied adult life, and my Grandad before him.
    I have memories of my Dad going to sea in unimaginably horrendous conditions. Mind blowingly awful. And two occasions where, mercifully, he got himself home, but tragically not everybody else did.
    Every town / village that service a Lifeboat has tales of those lost while risking all to save others in distress.

A number of my family are current RNLI and I admire them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Very well said.

My late Dad was RNLI for all of his able-bodied adult life, and my Grandad before him.
    I have memories of my Dad going to sea in unimaginably horrendous conditions. Mind blowingly awful. And two occasions where, mercifully, he got himself home, but tragically not everybody else did.
    Every town / village that service a Lifeboat has tales of those lost while risking all to save others in distress.

A number of my family are current RNLI and I admire them all.
    Sadly these amazing people seem to be taken for granted by most of us and watching this programme has opened my eyes,the incident in Aberaeron were the young girl was trapped under the huge boulders sent shivers through me with the tied coming in so quickly,every parent or in my case grandparent worse nightmare.makes me so annoyed to think of people in public life getting honoured for sport and entertainment and the like and these volunteers largely ignored.

Sadly these amazing people seem to be taken for granted by most of us and watching this programme has opened my eyes,the incident in Aberaeron were the young girl was trapped under the huge boulders sent shivers through me with the tied coming in so quickly,every parent or in my case grandparent worse nightmare.makes me so annoyed to think of people in public life getting honoured for sport and entertainment and the like and these volunteers largely ignored.
    Spot on. So very true.

Seconded.

Excellent programme,it shows how the members of the RNLI put their lives at risk everyday for no monetary gain. When I watched the programme,it made me shudder at the thought of going to sea,when it first started,where the guys would actually row out in all weathers to carry out rescues. What brave men they were and I bet all they thought about was trying to save lives and protect their communities.