+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex Liverpool player turns down MBE.

Ex Liverpool player turns down MBE.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ack-footballer

I'm certainly not going to criticise him.

Banned

Re: Ex Liverpool player turns down MBE.

Yet he didn't mind playing for a club named after the country's biggest slave port

I'd have done the same, it's a knighthood or nothing for me

Quote Originally Posted by goslow View Post
    Yet he didn't mind playing for a club named after the country's biggest slave port
    I could have have sworn the port took the name of the City?

Difficult one , on one had you have people saying that non whites don't receive due recognition and honor ,and then when one is offered , its refused .

Isn't it about time these awards were scraped?

Britain has a bad past history in some aspects but also it has a great past history.

I'd like the monarchy to be abolished Also

Such a lovely day so I'm off to a BBQ

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird View Post

Britain has a bad past history in some aspects but also it has a great past history.

Enjoy
    No doubt you are the type of scrounger who turns up at BBQ with food or booze

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird View Post

Enjoy
    Be careful with those burger fumes.

Interesting reason for turning it down and I probably have more respect for those who turn it down than those who accept. It seems to be yet another reward for those already fabulously wealthy (and being advised on how to give back as little as possible) just as long as they have the right friends or are famous at the right time.

It's been a live long ambition of mine to be nominated for a OBE, CBE, MBE, just so I can turn it down.

attention seeker, if he doesn`t want a medal , fine , just don`t make up reasons for it.

If it didn't have 'empire' in it's title then he would not have objected so much. I wouldn't accept due to being anti monarchy.

I actual came VERY close, when they were giving out MBE's after 9/11 (I was in the army) they basically came around the offices and picked one person from each to receive one. Everyone had done the same amount of work, so it was totally random.

The guy who got it in my office was fuming, the whole thing ended up costing him about ten grand after he had bought all the shit they make you buy and paid for the cars etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbccfc View Post
    attention seeker, if he doesn`t want a medal , fine , just don`t make up reasons for it.
    Exactly.

Don't write a fecking article in the press either to say how wonderful you are for knocking it back. Knobhead

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Exactly.

Don't write a fecking article in the press either to say how wonderful you are for knocking it back. Knobhead
    Eh? Not much point protesting if nobody hears you protest.

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    Eh? Not much point protesting if nobody hears you protest.
    Exactly. Good on him.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Exactly. Good on him.
    I second that.

The link below is an American podcast which tells the story of Britain's Gulag in Kenya. If you don't know this chunk of post WWII history then you should.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/mau-mau/
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 17-08-16 at 10:56.

But he's happy enough to be living in the empire

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Exactly.

It reads as attempt to explain his decision, probably because the Internet jury were already proclaiming their verdicts.

Perfectly within his rights. Who cares about the royal family? I love the union but not the monarchy.

But his whole mantra of blaming the modern establishment, like many scousers, for the Hillsborough disaster etc is a bit grinding.

When they then go and vote for labour who have done farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr more scummy things than the Tories have ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    James Mclean is by the worst case for this.

Hates everything that England and the UK stands for.

Stays here profiting from our people.

So do you have to move before criticising the country of your birth/where you live?

He's British. Why should he move from his country of birth just because he has issues with Britain's imperial past? People are very quick to condemn him without knowing him at all.

Banned

If it hadn't been for the empire gayle would have been born in Africa.then he would have had something to moan about.

Strange article, happy enough to have lived and worked in a country built upon such an empire.

Different world back then and no doubt a lot of it was very dark but I don't hear many of us moan about how we every day take advantage of a lifestyle gifted to us off the back of that empire.

No one has to accept it but it's very attention seeking to write an article about how high and mighty he is for not accepting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Strange article, happy enough to have lived and worked in a country built upon such an empire.

Different world back then and no doubt a lot of it was very dark but I don't hear many of us moan about how we every day take advantage of a lifestyle gifted to us off the back of that empire.

No one has to accept it but it's very attention seeking to write an article about how high and mighty he is for not accepting it.
    Its not like he has the power to get an article in the paper.

Its a response to rumour and interest about a local person not accepting an honour. The paper has either asked for a response, or there is so much nonsense being floated around he has set the record straight.

He is not in the position to write and article and get it published.