+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GB national anthem

Re: GB national anthem

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I think this has come up before - but why are 'we' competing as GB or Team GB?

In some medal tables it says GB and Northern Ireland.

Why not the UK?

Is the Isle of Man going it alone?
    You piqued my interest with that question so I looked it up:

The British Olympic Committee has rejected calls for the nickname to be changed to Team UK, arguing that neither Team GB nor Team UK are entirely accurate given that neither term covers all the members of its association, and that Team GB is an "effective trading name that fitted best with the Olympic identification of GBR".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_GB

Not sure if it even answers the question though.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    As she is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England you would have thought that he wouldn't need prompting.
    u dun evn go 2 the games

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    Breast stroke so I understand.
    I hear Len fairclough took the silver and that particular swimming pool activity was then banned for ever from the olympics

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    u dun evn go 2 the games
    ???

???
    It was a stab at humour, I believe, suggesting that you don't have the right to respond as you don't go to watch the Olympic games.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    It was a stab at humour, I believe, suggesting that you don't have the right to respond as you don't go to watch the Olympic games.
    That's what I thought too. My having attended the games in the past doesn't make it that funny

That's what I thought too. My having attended the games in the past doesn't make it that funny
    Come on, that joke is a classic. It hasn't become tiresome at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    That would be great.
    Are you going to organise it?

You will probably need to start by asking the Queen.

It is the British National Anthem, whether we like it or not.
    It is outdated to say the least. It comes from a different time , when people thought differently.
    I dislike it.

We are stuck with it until a forward thinking future Monarch decides it is time for a change.

England doesn't even have an anthem of their own. They have to use GStQ. I'm sure many English folks would like to have an English anthem .
    Think about it, why do you think they don't have one? After all, it's a thing that's been around for decades. It's their anthem, and has been forced on us through a 'union'.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    in my opinion the three best national anthems in in the world, are the the russian , welsh and german .

the british national anthem is crap.
    The german one sounds the same as the british in many parts.

Here at Caerdiffi Humour Industries we try to guarantee the quality of every joke that leaves the factory but I'm sorry to hear, on this occasion, the joke supplied to you was not sufficiently checked for factual accuracy.

Rest assured we are looking into how this oversight could have occurred and I hope you'll continue to read our jokes in future.

Here at Caerdiffi Humour Industries we try to guarantee the quality of every joke that leaves the factory but I'm sorry to hear, on this occasion, the joke supplied to you was not sufficiently checked for factual accuracy.

Rest assured we are looking into how this oversight could have occurred and I hope you'll continue to read our jokes in future.
    Poor jokes are no laughing matter, you know.

This thread reminds me of the time that chris said the new national anthem should be chariots of fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    When I won my gold I just hummed the Welsh anthem in my head.

'84 Los Angeles just in case you were wondering.
    Because you didn't know the words, don't worry nobody does.

Didn't the English adopt the Birdy Song as their anthem some time in the 1980s? Much more appropriate than God, Queen and crushing the rebellious Scots.

Always worth a squint at.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i9nnnM-__JQ

Billy Connolly.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    French, Welsh, then the Russian anthem for me.
    In the Euros the French were in awe of our anthem as was everyone else. One thing that certainly came out of that tournament was a ranking system for anthems. Wales won by a mile. Belgian fans were crying in some instances stuck in our end when we sang. One said to me 'the best, the very best anthem, bravo"

You piqued my interest with that question so I looked it up:

The British Olympic Committee has rejected calls for the nickname to be changed to Team UK, arguing that neither Team GB nor Team UK are entirely accurate given that neither term covers all the members of its association, and that Team GB is an "effective trading name that fitted best with the Olympic identification of GBR".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_GB

Not sure if it even answers the question though.
    It's Team England and we all know it. £375 million funding for 366 elite athletes. Money and preparation won the day not talent. Clive Woodward actually said "Good play by England, sorry, Team GB" during the women's rugby 7s.
    The Guardianista are already preparing attacks on BREXIT for any fall off in the next Olympics when the reality is that it costs us too much, it's lost it's amateur ideals and the public purse/lottery money has to be put to better use.
    Grass roots sports suffers (as told by Adam Peatys childhood coach) in order to allow the country to fund the very best.
    The USA only put twice the amount we did into the pot (£790 million) yet they have 4 times the population.
    Per capita the UK put more into the Olympics than anyone else, so we won more.
    It's about money now. The Olympic ideal is dead when millionaires like Andy Murray and Justin Rose can tip up and have a beano.

Well said. One error that strengthens your points is that the US population is times five the UK's, 325M v. 65M.

I'm similar to the OP in fairness. I'm glad I'm not an Olympian as I couldn't stand there while that shyte was being played, in front of a horrible flag being hoisted that I have absolutely no attachment to.

The sooner it's dropped as the Ingurlund and GB anthem the better.

I happened to watch the medals ceremony for the women's hockey. They all sang the anthem with gusto. I couldn't help but wonder if any are atheists and if so how they resolved that contradiction. Ditto for any republicans amongst them. Anything secular would be better than that funerial dirge.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I happened to watch the medals ceremony for the women's hockey. They all sang the anthem with gusto. I couldn't help but wonder if any are atheists and if so how they resolved that contradiction. Ditto for any republicans amongst them. Anything secular would be better than that funerial dirge.
    I am both an atheist and a republican so I would never sing such sycophantic nonsense. I also wouldn't bow in front of anyone if it wasn't a mutual gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Did any of the Scots insist on dirging on until they got to verse 6?

https://jdaviesx.wordpress.com/2012/...-all-6-verses/

I had never heard the full version but have now. You can as well by clicking the link. The singer is quite creepy. Okay, very f'ing creepy!

the national anthem should be either, land of hope and glory , jerusalem , nimrods elgar , or the theme from chariots of fire by vangelis, a passionate anthem something to tug at the heartstrings and make you feel proud to british.

the scottish and welsh anthems are anthems that make make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. and make you feel proud

god save the queen is an absolute dirge and as no real meaning anymore in the 21st century.
    Last edited by chris; 23-08-16 at 22:44.

Did any of the Scots insist on dirging on until they got to verse 6?

https://jdaviesx.wordpress.com/2012/...-all-6-verses/
    Whilst I'm sure most on here aren't a fan of the song myself included (Mick the striker excluded) but that verse hasn't really been part of it since 1745, probably time to move on......

Quote Originally Posted by the leader View Post
    It's Team England and we all know it. £375 million funding for 366 elite athletes. Money and preparation won the day not talent. Clive Woodward actually said "Good play by England, sorry, Team GB" during the women's rugby 7s.
    The Guardianista are already preparing attacks on BREXIT for any fall off in the next Olympics when the reality is that it costs us too much, it's lost it's amateur ideals and the public purse/lottery money has to be put to better use.
    Grass roots sports suffers (as told by Adam Peatys childhood coach) in order to allow the country to fund the very best.
    The USA only put twice the amount we did into the pot (£790 million) yet they have 4 times the population.
    Per capita the UK put more into the Olympics than anyone else, so we won more.
    It's about money now. The Olympic ideal is dead when millionaires like Andy Murray and Justin Rose can tip up and have a beano.
    The only thing the Olympics is good for is absconding athletes.

Aside from mass murder, kidnapping and torture, land grabs and massive debts crippling the host nation i can't find anything positive about this show (winter or summer). The day it becomes the Hunger Games is the day i tune in!