+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GB national anthem

GB national anthem

Watching the Olympics over the past two weeks, I've thought how gutting for non english athletes to win Gold and hear the English national anthem. I just don't associate God Save The Queen to Great Britain but to England. Imagine winning a gold medal and having that play! I don't know if I'm too anti England but it would be awful for me!

Re: GB national anthem

It's the British anthem for the British team,although it is crap

If I won a gold medal they could play anything,even the Smiths,maybe not they're even more boring
    Last edited by Llanedeyrnblue; 19-08-16 at 22:53.

When I won my gold I just hummed the Welsh anthem in my head.

'84 Los Angeles just in case you were wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post

I may have imagined this, but wasn't there a story (I think Olympics) where Ireland won a medal but they didn't have the anthem so played "Oh Danny Boy" instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    I may have imagined this, but wasn't there a story (I think Olympics) where Ireland won a medal but they didn't have the anthem so played "Oh Danny Boy" instead?
    in my opinion the three best national anthems in in the world, are the the russian , welsh and german .

the british national anthem is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    in my opinion the three best national anthems in in the world, are the the russian , welsh and german .

French, Welsh, then the Russian anthem for me.

think it was a northern ireland gold in a commonwealth games (boxing)

French, Welsh, then the Russian anthem for me.
    plus the italian anthem

As a Welshman i personally don't relate to the Union Jack either

Best foot tapping anthems: France, Ireland, Italy. The French one has to be the darkest too with references to bloody fields and throat slitting. Worst one? Undoubtedly England/Britain. It's religious shite combined with obsequious royal sphincter worshipping.

Billy has the right idea
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9nnnM-__JQ

But the Spanish one has the best words. :homer:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post

Breast stroke so I understand.

There could be so much more done to have the UK represented in media for Team GB but the British national anthem is not where I would be changing things....unless you're talking about England using the British anthem.

The anthem is awful and does not represent anyone bar the Royal loving English subjects. It is cringeworthy how they choose to sing about a tax dodging individual. It's time for change, referendum re that awful Union flag that Wales is not represented on, the awful anthem and the whole antiquated Royal situation.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryJason View Post
    The anthem is awful and does not represent anyone bar the Royal loving English subjects. It is cringeworthy how they choose to sing about a tax dodging individual. It's time for change, referendum re that awful Union flag that Wales is not represented on, the awful anthem and the whole antiquated Royal situation.
    Too right. Why celebrate some incredibly privileged woman instead of a nation of culture with wonderful scientists,writers,poets,engineers etc etc. It will never make any sense to me.

Indeed, I passionately despise their anthem. How Welsh athletes can stand for that disgusting dirge is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkers View Post
    Indeed, I passionately despise their anthem. How Welsh athletes can stand for that disgusting dirge is beyond me.
    Me too. Disgraceful anthem and nothing whatsoever to do with Wales.

Me too. Disgraceful anthem and nothing whatsoever to do with Wales.
    Don't you want god to save the queen?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Does she need saving?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Does she need saving?
    Why would they sing the song unless she was in some sort of peril that only the almighty could solve?

That would be great.
    Are you going to organise it?

You will probably need to start by asking the Queen.

It is the British National Anthem, whether we like it or not.
    It is outdated to say the least. It comes from a different time , when people thought differently.
    I dislike it.

We are stuck with it until a forward thinking future Monarch decides it is time for a change.

England doesn't even have an anthem of their own. They have to use GStQ. I'm sure many English folks would like to have an English anthem .

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    As she is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England you would have thought that he wouldn't need prompting.

Didn't the English adopt the Birdy Song as their anthem some time in the 1980s? Much more appropriate than God, Queen and crushing the rebellious Scots.

I think this has come up before - but why are 'we' competing as GB or Team GB?

In some medal tables it says GB and Northern Ireland.

Why not the UK?

Is the Isle of Man going it alone?