+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GB national anthem

Blog Entries

Re: GB national anthem

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    the national anthem should be either, land of hope and glory , jerusalem , nimrods elgar , or the theme from chariots of fire by vangelis, a passionate anthem something to tug at the heartstrings and make you feel proud to british.

the scottish and welsh anthems are anthems that make make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. and make you feel proud

god save the queen is an absolute dirge and as no real meaning anymore in the 21st century.
    I'm not particularly a fan of it but I think we should leave it alone, you are all so quick to want to get rid of the current anthem but you will be sorry when that's gone and people move on to wanting to get rid of the Welsh and Scottish anthems

Believe it or not Great Britain is not the first thing I think of when I hear Jerusalem, I would be quite keen to watch you trying to sing along to Chariots of fire though

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    The only thing the Olympics is good for is absconding athletes.

Aside from mass murder, kidnapping and torture, land grabs and massive debts crippling the host nation i can't find anything positive about this show (winter or summer). The day it becomes the Hunger Games is the day i tune in!
    Poor old cockneys being kidnapped and tortured......

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    This thread reminds me of the time that chris said the new national anthem should be chariots of fire.

the national anthem should be either, land of hope and glory , jerusalem , nimrods elgar , or the theme from chariots of fire by vangelis, a passionate anthem something to tug at the heartstrings and make you feel proud to british.

the scottish and welsh anthems are anthems that make make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. and make you feel proud

god save the queen is an absolute dirge and as no real meaning anymore in the 21st century.
    Jerusalem? Another religious ditty.

That fantastic composer Nimrod and his wonderful tune Elgar.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    Whilst I'm sure most on here aren't a fan of the song myself included (Mick the striker excluded) but that verse hasn't really been part of it since 1745, probably time to move on......
    Well, if you don't think it's worth replacing the national anthem with something better and less offensive - why not just update it?

Does verse 6 still work if we substitute Marshall Wade with Virginia Wade?

Classic chris. Nimrod's Elgar! What a wazzock

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Well, if you don't think it's worth replacing the national anthem with something better and less offensive - why not just update it?

Does verse 6 still work if we substitute Marshall Wade with Virginia Wade?
    That's the point, it was changed/updated in 1745, hence I think it may be time to move on regarding the "scots" line. I'd say the best part of 300 years is enough for people to forget that line.

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/...cots/index.asp

I'm still not sure why GSTQ is the anthem of the Team GB sporting franchise? UK anthem, fair enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Save_the_Queen

My favourite alternative with the same 'tune':

http://poetrynook.com/poem/god-save-great-thomas-paine

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post
    Think about it, why do you think they don't have one? After all, it's a thing that's been around for decades. It's their anthem, and has been forced on us through a 'union'.
    Correct. It seemed like a good idea for them at the time but now the novelty's warn off they want "their own".

I get what the OP says but I say let the English be the ones to debate it and who feel embarrassed by GSTQ when a winning non-English person stands up there and is dead pan.
    Personally i hope they dont get a new one as it's like an extra man for us.

It should be Cuddly Toy by Roachford and that's final.

Controversial statement, but I actually think GSTQ is a nice piece of music. When it's arranged properly, the 'send her victorious' part with the same top note and the bass notes moving upwards sounds great.

But when that part is being bellowed by hockey players on a plane or a football crowd it sounds absolutely bloody awful. For me, that's why it's not a good anthem.

Fair enough. It's the God wallah-ing, royalty bootlicking lyrics most object to rather than its melodic qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Fair enough. It's the God wallah-ing, royalty bootlicking lyrics most object to rather than its melodic qualities.
    True, but people all round the world compliment the Welsh anthem and it's not because of the words. The tune works with an orchestra or with a choir. It's still important for an anthem.

I think that anyone who thinks a foreigner "admires" ANY other countries anthem is deluded. I've never had the urge to put GSTQ in a playlist of mine let alone another countries anthem. I like GSTQ because it's my anthem and is the only anthem that stokes any emotion in me.

I don't even consider the words either, never have done, theryre irrelevant largely. It's an anthem that represents your country after all it's only "Gwlad Gwlad" that most people sing and know of the Welsh anthem.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Jerusalem? Another religious ditty.
    And I'd prefer Elgar's Nimrod to Nimrod's Elgar

When played right I actually quite like it. The problem is most can't get past its attachment to England, particularly the football.

I quite like the flag too to be honest, makes me no less Welsh.