+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Malky Mackay's emotional Cardiff City admission...

Blue in the Face

Malky Mackay's emotional Cardiff City admission...

The Scotsman has spoken of his 'great fondness' for the Bluebirds fans and said he can't help thinking what might have been had he stayed in charge

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...city-11779457?

Former Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay has admitted that he still wonders whether the Bluebirds could be aiming for the top half of the Premier League if he had stayed as boss.

Mackay was sacked by the club in December 2013 following a public falling out with owner Vincent Tan, who accused him of over-spending in the transfer market. The Scotsman refused a request by Tan to resign before his dismissal which came at time when he enjoyed the overwhelming support of the fans.

The following August a furore blew up around text messages Mackay sent while in charge of Cardiff which were, by his own admission, ‘very regrettable and disrespectful of other cultures’.

Two years on from the rumpus, and after an unsuccessful spell in charge at Wigan, Mackay has told Sky Sports that he still thinks about Cardiff City...and what might have been.

“There are times you are going to feel ‘what if’, what could be happening, where could we be at the moment in terms of how could that club be going now,” said the former Celtic defender.

“Would we still be in the Premier League? Would we kick on again? Would we be in the top half of the Premier League?

“It’s mostly about professional pride.

“I’ve got a great fondness for the fans down there and the people that were there at the time.”

Mackay is understood to have applied for the Celtic job earlier this summer, which was eventually taken by Brendan Rodgers.

And he opened up on the challenges of being out of work since parting company with Wigan 15 months ago, the support he has had from his peers and the different environments he has visited to broaden his coaching knowledge.

He added: “Right away when I came out of work Tony Pulis called and said ‘come and spend a day with us here at West Brom’ which was fabulous.

“Alan Pardew is another one who has done the same, Brendan Rodgers did the same at Liverpool.

“I also have to think further afield, about going abroad, and I went over to see David Moyes in San Seabastian, which was fabulous.

“Even different sports. I made a contact when I was on holiday in America and went out to see the San Diego Chargers.

“I spent a few days at their training ground and in terms of how it is laid out and in terms of their recovery and rehab strategies are concerned, there were things to pick up from them.

“I went to the Special Forces in Hereford as well, I have a friend who is there, so I went and gave a talk to them about crisis management in sport, which I have a fair amount of experience of.”

He continued: “You just have to make sure you protect family, protect those around you and keep yourself busy.

“You keep going to games, keep going out to see people.”

Asked for his reaction to people who believe his past mistake over the texts controversy means he doesn’t deserve another chance, Mackay was philosophical.

“Everybody should be able to have a comment of anybody, but if you’ve got an opinion because you are involved in a situation or it’s an educated opinion then I take that more...certainly from people within the football community,” he said.

“There are a lot positive people who have said positive things and that is what I have to take heart from.

“But you need belief in what you do and that you are actually trying to do the best you can.”

Re: Malky Mackay's emotional Cardiff City admission...

He's trying his hardest to get in somewhere fair play to him.....But i still have the feeling that the football world know something we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    He's trying his hardest to get in somewhere fair play to him.....But i still have the feeling that the football world know something we don't.

They know he was vastly overrated.

That he was a sh*t manager?
    Last edited by Wales-Bales; 21-08-16 at 16:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Not according to AA, he's the greatest manager of all time.

He can't of been that Shite....He took us up.

Personally, I liked having Malky as manager, but was disappointed over how it ended.

If he is a great manager then he would be in work. For whatever reason he has been out of work since Wigan.

I suspect he is setting his sights too high, and needs to pitch his comeback a little lower , or abroad.

Banned

What a load of bollocks.
    He took us to a cup final and promotion.

He brought Cornelios here, has he forgotten that

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Not according to AA, he's the greatest manager of all time.
    Arguably our greatest manager?

It'll be a long long time before we have that feel good factor about the club that we had under MM

I don't think this smily thing is working properly

I firmly believe that had he and Tan remained buddies, we'd have stayed in the prem (at least in our first season)..
    we MAY have done the double over the Jacks...
    and we'd still be playing in red!

Every cloud, eh?

I'd have Malky back here tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I firmly believe that had he and Tan remained buddies, we'd have stayed in the prem (at least in our first season)..
    we MAY have done the double over the Jacks...
    and we'd still be playing in red!

Every cloud, eh?
    Agree with every word but never factored in the last bit before.

The first time I've thought I'm glad he's gone!!

Blog Entries

Always stick with your feelings

Best manager we've had in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    Best manager we've had in my lifetime.
    Were you born yesterday?

He can't of been that Shite....He took us up.
    The team took us up, supported financially by the owner, then came the manager who was appointed and did okay for a while and then was fund wanting in the big time .

Were you born yesterday?
    yes made me giggle , you could argue , he was the best manager to put us in a dark place after promising so much,rather DJ .

Jimmy Scoular was my god .

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'd have Malky back here tomorrow.
    So he could take us down like he did Wigan?

This subject has been debated on here hundreds of times, maybe even thousands, and it always comes down to a matter of opinion - here are some facts, not accusations of financial wrong doing that we're still waiting to see any proof of in the public domain, just facts.

Malky Mackay had two seasons with us in the Championship, he got us to the Play Offs in one of them (and came closer than any other City manager has done sine 1927 to winning us a major Cup Final) and then won the title in domestic football's second tier (something no other City manager has done) in his second.

At the time of his sacking in our only top flight season since 1962, we were fifteenth out of twenty with seventeen points from eighteen matches played - we managed thirteen from the remaining twenty games that season. If we had continued to pick up points over the last twenty matches at the same rate as we had done in the first eighteen, we'd have ended up with thirty six points. West Brom finished in seventeenth position (i.e, just safe from the drop) with thirty six points and a much better goal difference than us, so it's likely we would have gone down if Mackay had stayed and continued to pick up points at the rate he did in those first eighteen matches.

However, it's a matter of fact that in the nine home games we played that season with Mackay in charge, seven of them had been against sides that finished in the top ten that season - the only two matches played against bottom half teams (Swansea and West Brom) had finished in 1-0 City wins. We had ten home matches left when Mackay was shown the door and seven of them were against the sort of teams we had been beating up until then - granted, two matches is not much of a precedent to base firm conclusions on, but there is evidence there to strongly suggest that we would have done a lot better had Mackay stayed than we did under Ole and David Kerslake.

Yes, we're back into opinion territory there I know, but it's a matter of fact that we never ended up dropping points after being two goals up in a home match, like we did against Sunderland in the first match after the sacking, under Malky Mackay - again, only an opinion, but mine has always been that we would have won that match, which proved so influential that season, had Mackay still been in charge.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 22-08-16 at 04:44.

He said the colour of the strip
    Wasn't important which told me everything about him . Football was generally dire but he did bring success . I guess he is trying to put himself back in the shop window and his period here was his best as a manager .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    He said the colour of the strip
    Wasn't important which told me everything about him . Football was generally dire but he did bring success . I guess he is trying to put himself back in the shop window and his period here was his best as a manager .
    It's all about the shop window that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    This subject has been debated on here hundreds of times, maybe even thousands, and it always comes down to a matter of opinion - here are some facts, not accusations of financial wrong doing that we're still waiting to see any proof of in the public domain, just facts.

Malky Mackay had two seasons with us in the Championship, he got us to the Play Offs in one of them (and came closer than any other City manager has done sine 1927 to winning us a major Cup Final) and then won the title in domestic football's second tier (something no other City manager has done) in his second.

At the time of his sacking in our only top flight season since 1962, we were fifteenth out of twenty with seventeen points from eighteen matches played - we managed thirteen from the remaining twenty games that season. If we had continued to pick up points over the last twenty matches at the same rate as we had done in the first eighteen, we'd have ended up with thirty six points. West Brom finished in seventeenth position (i.e, just safe from the drop) with thirty six points and a much better goal difference than us, so it's likely we would have gone down if Mackay had stayed and continued to pick up points at the rate he did in those first eighteen matches.

However, it's a matter of fact that in the nine home games we played that season with Mackay in charge, seven of them had been against sides that finished in the top ten that season - the only two matches played against bottom half teams (Swansea and West Brom) had finished in 1-0 City wins. We had ten home matches left when Mackay was shown the door and seven of them were against the sort of teams we had been beating up until then - granted, two matches is not much of a precedent to base firm conclusions on, but there is evidence there to strongly suggest that we would have done a lot better had Mackay stayed than we did under Ole and David Kerslake.

Yes, we're back into opinion territory there I know, but it's a matter of fact that we never ended up dropping points after being two goals up in a home match, like we did against Sunderland in the first match after the sacking, under Malky Mackay - again, only an opinion, but mine has always been that we would have won that match, which proved so influential that season, had Mackay still been in charge.
    Interesting points. I'd add that if all other results were the same but we beat Palace and Hull at home, two winnable games despite what happened, we'd have stayed up.

He did well here and at Watford before that with no money. He is a good manager, he's probably to much of a lad to be mgt material.
    He galvanised the club, felt like we had a proper manager for once instead of the usual rudderless guff.