+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gumtree/Paypal Advice

Gumtree/Paypal Advice

My wife has advertised a sofa and chair on Gumtree today. She had a reply very quickly via email but it seems too good be true - here it is

Great! please consider it sold and please cancel every other appointment regarding it as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin as a gift, i have read through the advert and I'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair.
    I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal.
    Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

The item is not hugely valuable at under £200, but is there a way someone can scam your paypal account, or am I being too cautious? I've only used paypal to buy things never to receive anything?

Re: Gumtree/Paypal Advice

Had the same email loads of times from someone on Gumtree. It is a swizz. They can get the money back from paypal saying that you didn't supply it etc and you can't prove you did. Had a £600 road bike on there and must have had a dozen of the same type of emails.

Do not sell it. Cash only on pick up with Gumtree.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    My wife has advertised a sofa and chair on Gumtree today. She had a reply very quickly via email but it seems too good be true - here it is

Great! please consider it sold and please cancel every other appointment regarding it as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin as a gift, i have read through the advert and I'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair.
    I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal.
    Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

The item is not hugely valuable at under £200, but is there a way someone can scam your paypal account, or am I being too cautious? I've only used paypal to buy things never to receive anything?
    We put up 2 ads on gumtree last week got the same response 3 times, dont bother with it.

Only use cash on collection on Gumtree

Scam. Had that sent to me when I sold a 3 piece suite.

Yeah I thought so, there were just too many things in it that seem desperate.

Thanks for the advice.

Now...anyone want to buy a sofa

obvious scam

I would engage in a bit of banter and fun with them though and see how long you can string them on for.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/to...ching-scammers

MY sister nearly got scammed by this. They will send you a FAKE email from paypal, asking you to send money to release the funds. The email will say they sent a larger sum of money than requested, but you have to send money to them.

SCAM SCAM SCAM.

last time i used paypal i had my bank account drained by some scumbag. will never use it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Yeah I thought so, there were just too many things in it that seem desperate.

Thanks for the advice.

Now...anyone want to buy a sofa
    Sofa so good?

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    last time i used paypal i had my bank account drained by some scumbag. will never use it again.
    Which? Paypal or your bank account?

Millions upon millions of people manage to use PayPal without any problems whatsoever on an ongoing , daily basis.
    If Paypal itself was a genuine rip-off nightmare, it would not stay in business for one minute longer, would it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post

Millions upon millions of people manage to use PayPal without any problems whatsoever on an ongoing , daily basis.
    If Paypal itself was a genuine rip-off nightmare, it would not stay in business for one minute longer, would it.
    I thought that the Glaswegian version is called 'WhatAreYouLookingAtPal?'

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post

bank account, i had stored my debit card details on my paypal account and someone must have got hold of them somehow. made purchases for all sorts of crazy stuff until there was no cash left. to be fair to paypal, i got it all back but it took a while. i just don't really trust it anymore. i make one-off payments with it but closed my account.

bank account, i had stored my debit card details on my paypal account and someone must have got hold of them somehow. made purchases for all sorts of crazy stuff until there was no cash left. to be fair to paypal, i got it all back but it took a while. i just don't really trust it anymore. i make one-off payments with it but closed my account.
    Get a better password for accounts that hold card details. I have a normal password and a more secure password for websites that hold my card details.

Paypal is fine to shop with, better than most banks at dealing with problems. You are protected if things go wrong, where it would be harder to get your money back than the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    Get a better password for accounts that hold card details. I have a normal password and a more secure password for websites that hold my card details.

Paypal is fine to shop with, better than most banks at dealing with problems. You are protected if things go wrong, where it would be harder to get your money back than the bank.
    it was pretty strong, over 20 characters. i reckon i might have used it on public wifi or something.

it was pretty strong, over 20 characters. i reckon i might have used it on public wifi or something.
    kingbillyboypaypalpassword