+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First time you went to Ninian Park

First time you went to Ninian Park

Me and a bunch of mates bunked off school and went to watch a reserve game in midweek in late August of 1965. After that it was City on Saturday afternoons and dawg racing at the Arms Park later that night. We were usually left without a pot to piss in by the end of the night and invariably faced a long walk back to deepest darkest Splott...

Re: First time you went to Ninian Park

Hull stubs, 1968 version.

City were due to play Arsenal in the FA cup 4/1/69. (52k 0-0, my feet never touched the floor!)

The week before they played Hull, winning 3-0, Toshack, Clark & King (I think), so my uncle took me to make sure of tickets for the Arsenal game.

So Hull stubs are nothing new & I've been a glory hunting City fan ever since, with 1000+ games under my scarf.

1987 - my dad took me. He had taken me in the early 80's, I remember Jeff Hemmerman coming onto the pitch on crutches, we sat in the Canton End.

Then he didn't go for a few years because of unemployment. One day he called me and asked me if I wanted to go to the game, against Exeter City.

We used to park on Bessemer Road, and the buzz I got whenever I saw the floodlights was the greatest.

I lived for Saturday 3pm, there was no place on earth that I would rather be.

Huddersfield 4th May 1968 - No Score Bore - and I still got the bug!

First City goal witnessed was Peter King in a 1-0 win home against Preston early the following season.

My Dad used to sit me on a barrier somewhere near to the TV gantry on the Bob Bank holding on to me throughout the match.

Also used to mitch off my Wednesday school sports afternoon when I could during the mid Seventies to watch the home Combination games. Free entry into the Grandstand as I recall - happy days!

1961, Combination game, 1-1 draw against Ipswich, wasn't allowed to go to a first team game because of the crowds (Mam reckoned I was too little). Had to wait another 50 odd years to see the City in the top division, thanks Mam

November 11th 1961.
    Cardiff City 2 Sheffield Wednesday 1
    An evening game
    Aged 7, I was hooked.

A 1-0 win over Northampton in October 63 with the goal coming from a Mel Charles header, but it was only when I went along to my first floodlit match about six months later that I was truly hooked.

1977.....Carlisle Utd Can't remember too much about it i think it was a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    1977.....Carlisle Utd Can't remember too much about it i think it was a draw.
    Yes it was - 1-1 in a match that Carlisle had to win to stay up at City's expense. There was a massive scrap in the dying minutes involving about twenty players after a frantic scramble in City's penalty area after Carlisle had just missed out on the goal that would have kept them up.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes it was - 1-1 in a match that Carlisle had to win to stay up at City's expense. There was a massive scrap in the dying minutes involving about twenty players after a frantic scramble in City's penalty area after Carlisle had just missed out on the goal that would have kept them up.
    Bob, help me with this match please sir.

First match was City v Brighton, 1979, City winning 3-1.

I've tried the head to heads databases but can't find the details of the match.

I'd be forever in your debt.

October 1970 v Leciester 2-2.

Uncle was down from Leicester and my dad took us.

If I recall, Toshack and Clarke were the scorers for us, that season came down to the wire if I remember right, with Leicester winning promotion to the old first division, with us missing out. We then sold Toshack to Liverpool and the rest as they say is history.

70 - 71 season.
    Beat Blackburn 4-1 in a cracker of a game.
    Hooked ever since.
    It happened to be the first match after Toshack left, "Toshack is a reject" was the chant of the day.

19 aug 1967 v Plymouth.

Cardiff City v Newcastle United August 1962. 1st game after relegation from 1st Division.

4-4. 27,000 in shirtsleeves. The colours, the sounds, the smells, sometimes I close my eyes and get a mental glimpse of that day 54 years ago ..

Season 1970/71

But it is one of my biggest regrets that neither my dad or myself can recall the specific game.

It was definitely just after we sold Toshack to Liverpool and we took our place in the corner in front of the old 'Radio Ninian'

We both recall being at the Watford home game of that season which we lost 1 nil I think, as I still have the programme so it was sometime after Toshack left, but prior to that game!

I can't remember for definite.

I went with my father and we were 2 nil down very early on. He was laughing as it was my first time there.

Walsall comes to mind but I cannot find anything on a result like that with them.

I found this, so maybe this was it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot..._1/3363757.stm

Cardiff 3-2 Rotherham
    Peter Thorne's goal started Cardiff on their fight back
    Peter Thorne's goal started Cardiff on their fight back
    Cardiff battled back from two goals down to bring a miserable run of five consecutive defeats to an end.
    A calamitous start looked to have cost the home side dear as Stewart Talbot and John Mullin gave Rotherham a commanding lead after nine minutes.

But Peter Thorne cut the deficit after 24 minutes and Graham Kavanagh equalised after 38 minutes.

i previously posted it was a 0-0 vs blackburn in august 1969 but having read a post in this thread i realise it was the arsenal cup tie in jan 69

Merthyr v Newport Welsh Cup Final 1987

First City game there v league leaders Burnley around Feb 92. Lost 0-2.

My first City game was away to Hereford that same year.
    Last edited by CCFC CASUAL; 23-08-16 at 09:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Bob, help me with this match please sir.

First match was City v Brighton, 1979, City winning 3-1.

I've tried the head to heads databases but can't find the details of the match.

I'd be forever in your debt.
    http://www.cardiffcity-mad.co.uk/res...ty/index.shtml

Can't recall who it was against but it was in 1971, 1-1 with Woodruff scoring. I was sent down to the bottom of the Bob bank.

I would have been about 8 if I remember correctly. My memory is a bit shit but in my head I remember it being Chelsea - think it would have around 1980/81??

My recollections of the day were:

1. Spending most of the game on my dads shoulders.

2. The surge when we scored.

3. Being amazed at all the people and how angry everyone seemed to be.

4. Pretty sure we lost.

The other thing I remember was people fighting as we left and my old man telling me not to tell mam about it or I wouldn't be allowed to go again. Naturally I kept my mouth shut - not sure if that turned out to be a smart move looking back.

I was looking for the team, goal scorers, crowd attendance etc.

Brighton were top and I think got promoted(?). Glorious day and we were in the Canton Stand. Smell of beer, food and piss outside.

It was a group 'Dad & Lads' outing which meant the Dads going into the pub/social club and leaving the kids outside with a Texan bar and a wagon wheel.

It was a major surprise City won. On my return home my mothers first question was "How many new swear words have you learnt?"

I didn't have the heart to tell her none as I was already very eloquent in telling somebody to "**** Off..." even at that tender age.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    I would have been about 8 if I remember correctly. My memory is a bit shit but in my head I remember it being Chelsea - think it would have around 1980/81??

My recollections of the day were:

1. Spending most of the game on my dads shoulders.

2. The surge when we scored.

3. Being amazed at all the people and how angry everyone seemed to be.

4. Pretty sure we lost.

The other thing I remember was people fighting as we left and my old man telling me not to tell man about it or I wouldn't be allowed to go again. Naturally I kept my mouth shut - not sure if that turned out to be a smart move looking back.
    Not long after my dad started taking me, he decided that NP was no place for a young kid what with all the flying seats/coins/fists etc and stopped taking me until I was old enough to go with my mates.

Secondly, I can't believe you're younger than me - I thought you were an old fecker!

About 78/80 against Oldham-lost

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Not long after my dad started taking me, he decided that NP was no place for a young kid what with all the flying seats/coins/fists etc and stopped taking me until I was old enough to go with my mates.

Secondly, I can't believe you're younger than me - I thought you were an old fecker!
    so did i