+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First time you went to Ninian Park

Re: First time you went to Ninian Park

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I first went in 95 with my boyfriend (not Steve) I have no idea who we were playing, I just remember it was a freezing cold Tues night, it was damp and depressing and I couldn't understand why I suddenly had to start hating England

I still wanted to go again though
    I'm assuming then the then boyfriend must've been a bit of alright?
    Last edited by Jordi Culé; 23-08-16 at 15:27.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I'm assuming then the then boyfriend must've been alright?
    Depends what you mean by alright.

My Dad used to sit me on a barrier somewhere near to the TV gantry on the Bob Bank holding on to me throughout the match.

Depends what you mean by alright.
    Well your description of the game doesn't sound too appealing so I'm assuming a must've at least bought you a pasty?

1955-against Blackpool and we lost 2-1.Stan Montgomery scored our goal.I was in the Canton Stand on a friend's fathers'season ticket and thought I was special.Started going regularly the following season in the kids enclosure in the Grangetown Stand-9d admission.61 years on and I still have the 'bug'-now accompanied by my son and grandson and sit by my cousin who is my age.
    Still love the day out-still go through all the emotions but they are my team and whatever drama goes on around the club (and there have been plenty)it makes no difference.Life is too short to worry about what are in effect short term problems.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Well your description of the game doesn't sound too appealing so I'm assuming a must've at least bought you a pasty?

I first went in 95 with my boyfriend (not Steve) I have no idea who we were playing, I just remember it was a freezing cold Tues night, it was damp and depressing and I couldn't understand why I suddenly had to start hating England

It's only been 21 years. Ring him up and see if he's up for taking you again..

1965 home to Real Zaragoza in the Cup Winners Cup.
    Floodlights , huge crowd , wonderful smell of beer and fags , Golden Goal tickets on sale ,
    huge queues at the Grange End turnstiles , super atmosphere...............but we lost.

However I was hooked for ever and a day.

I'm proud to say my first ever live match was a Wales one at Ninian Park:

https://youtu.be/OnlJpNM69W4

I then somehow developed a love for the place, so got down the City not long afterwards as a 10 year old for this classic:

http://www.11v11.com/matches/cardiff...er-1986-49271/

Sounds like Mrs.Parrots first game as well! January '94 0-0 v Barnet cold, wet & boring in front of 5,000, took until 2015 to get her to go again (2-1 win at Brentford)

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Not long after my dad started taking me, he decided that NP was no place for a young kid what with all the flying seats/coins/fists etc and stopped taking me until I was old enough to go with my mates.
    You left out the Kung-Fu stars & oranges full of razor blades .... fun days

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes it was - 1-1 in a match that Carlisle had to win to stay up at City's expense. There was a massive scrap in the dying minutes involving about twenty players after a frantic scramble in City's penalty area after Carlisle had just missed out on the goal that would have kept them up.
    I doff my hat to you Sir.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Splott David View Post
    It's only been 21 years. Ring him up and see if he's up for taking you again..
    Perhaps we (Steve & I) should meet up with you and go to a game together? be good to meet the real David, if such a person even exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Sounds like Mrs.Parrots first game as well! January '94 0-0 v Barnet cold, wet & boring in front of 5,000, took until 2015 to get her to go again (2-1 win at Brentford)
    It took her that long to thaw?

Everton FA cup 1977 is the first I remember. Poor back pass.

I'd use a different adjective to poor.

It was a night Game, I was on the grange end with my dad, Ronnie Bird was playing, cannot remember date or who against.

wow wonderful stuff ,in the post , its well in the blood " shared pain of losing binds fans together as much as winning"

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    wow wonderful stuff ,in the post , its well in the blood " shared pain of losing binds fans together as much as winning"
    This is so true,it was not about winning but just being there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    6 January 1968 Cardiff 3 Pompey 0
    First time I took Mrs Cyclops out!
    I was hooked!
    Married 46 years now.

The game was good as well...
    Weather detail - it snowed that night....
    Didn't see this earlier, so glad you made a miraculous recovery.

My dad took me , Roughly 66/67 v Hereford in Welsh cup final . I think it was about 6-3 to City, and Toshack might have had a hatrick ?
    I stood in the corner of the Bob bank and grange end near the huge pylons. I remember the grange singing Johnny Jonny Toshack la la la la . Also the smell of the place and walking under the grange end.
    I was hooked , and couldn't wait to go again , but usually had to watch the floodlights from my bedroom high up in Pentrebane while listening on the radio , until I was allowed to go with mates.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I'd use a different adjective to poor.

Jesus! I've never seen that clip thanks, yes poor was putting it very mildly, I was only 10 though so didn't remember how monumentally shit it was!

1967/68..my Dad's friend was a City fan and asked if I wanted to go with him...yes please!
    We beat Millwall 2-1..with Brian Clark scoring a bizarre header from the edge of the centre circle...can someone please con firm I wasn't dreaming?
    ( I've actually had it confirmed by someone I met in a camping site near Bordeaux in June...it was his first game too)

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    1967/68..my Dad's friend was a City fan and asked if I wanted to go with him...yes please!
    We beat Millwall 2-1..with Brian Clark scoring a bizarre header from the edge of the centre circle...can someone please con firm I wasn't dreaming?
    ( I've actually had it confirmed by someone I met in a camping site near Bordeaux in June...it was his first game too)
    It was straight from a Millwall goal kick he headed it over the keeper into the net.

Sat 09 Dec 1995/96 Cardiff City 2 - 0 Hartlepool Utd

5th October 1968, City 1 - 1 Villa, taken my dad as an 8 year old. Went back a month later to see City 2 -1 Blackburn, and I was hooked for life!