+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your best remembered game at Ninian Park

Re: Your best remembered game at Ninian Park

The first game I can really remember me being at was City 4 - 1 Sunderland 29th December 1973.
    It sticks out in my mind because they were the FA cup holders at the time.
    I`d been going down for a few seasons but this game sticks out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    1977, 3-2 versus Wrexham in the FA Cup and John Buchanan's last-gasp winner straight from the kick-off following their equaliser.
    Wonderful game , Buchanan's shot was like a rocket , just skimming inches above the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    I was at so many of those games but for me it has to be the humbling of top of the Premiership Leeds.

Kav and Scott Young , heroes forever !

We're the ones who ferked you up !
    So many to choose from , Toshacks last game v Hull, Madrid game, Beating Spurs with Sayers goal.War boys debut. Man Utd at Ninian park with fencing going up, as mentioned Hereford at home 30k crowd, SV Hamburg game, but beating Leeds was an emotional game, with passion, commitment, madness and joy,
    Last edited by life on mars; 23-08-16 at 23:42.

As has been said already, there's so many, If I had to go for one, I suppose it would be the Leeds game in 2002 - Sam Hammam and a few of our idiots tried to ruin it, but didn't succeed.

Here's a few matches that I don't think have been mentioned before that occur to me at the moment.

City 1 Moscow Torpedo 0 1968 - Barrie Jones scores with a header!

City 3 Middlesbrough 4 1970 - The Frank Parsons match which City contrived to lose after scoring one great goal and then the best one I've ever seen us score.

City 1 Palace 1 1973 - The Tony Villars game.

City 6 Exeter 2 1975 - Willie Anderson in sensational form.

City 1 Everton 2 1977 - Fantastic goal from Tony Evans and I'm still not sure how we lost.

City 3 Newport 2 1982 - Jeff Hemmerman's last gasp winner.

City 1 Bolton 0 1988 - a really high quality Fourth Division match.

City 3 Barnet 1 1992 - Eddie Newton chaired off the pitch.

City 3 York 3 1993 - crazy Boxing Day match which we led 3-0 at half time and yet could have lost 10-4!

City 5 Wrexham 1 1994 - Darren Adams' one moment to remember in a City shirt.

City 4 Brentford 1 1999 - Fantastic Jason Fowler goal.

City 3 Chesterfield 3 2001 - We equalised three times.

City 1 Bristol City 0 2003 - Thorne's header finally beats the wurzels.

City 4 Sunderland 0 2004 - the 03/04 team were great to watch when they were on song.

City 2 Leeds 1 2005 - an understated introduction from Jason Koumas!

City 1 Southampton 0 2006 - a 17 year old Gareth Bale plays at Cardiff for the first time as we go five points clear at the top of the league.

City 2 Wolves 0 2008 - first time into an FA Cup Quarter Final since 1927 and it was all so easy.

City 3 Burnley 1 2009 - the penultimate match at Ninian Park, I really thought we were going up that day.

Lots of good shouts here but Hereford for me - size of the crowd, the atmosphere, the performance, the result, the old ground at its best - what a night!

Most of all though perhaps the context of the match. A superb win in a crucial late season league fixture against one of our main promotion rivals at the time. Just the type of game where as a die-hard City pessimist I'd have already been preparing to be disappointed.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Cardiff City 1 Real Madrid 0

Yep. Its got to be this one

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    New Years Day early 90s v Maidstone. Lost 5 -0. I was on a come down from large quantities of alcohol and acid. Additionally my father was trying to explain to me where City were going wrong.

Truly memorable and I still having nightmares about the whole day.
    A few players seemed to be coming down from large quantities and acid that day too. An absolute shocker - I took a friend along (sadly he passed away a few years back). It was his first game so, naturally, we blamed him for the defeat and told him he wouldn't be coming again.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    As has been said already, there's so many, If I had to go for one, I suppose it would be the Leeds game in 2002 - Sam Hammam and a few of our idiots tried to ruin it, but didn't succeed.

Here's a few matches that I don't think have been mentioned before that occur to me at the moment.

City 1 Moscow Torpedo 0 1968 - Barrie Jones scores with a header!

City 3 Middlesbrough 4 1970 - The Frank Parsons match which City contrived to lose after scoring one great goal and then the best one I've ever seen us score.

City 1 Palace 1 1973 - The Tony Villars game.

City 6 Exeter 2 1975 - Willie Anderson in sensational form.

City 1 Everton 2 1977 - Fantastic goal from Tony Evans and I'm still not sure how we lost.

City 3 Newport 2 1982 - Jeff Hemmerman's last gasp winner.

City 1 Bolton 0 1988 - a really high quality Fourth Division match.

City 3 Barnet 1 1992 - Eddie Newton chaired off the pitch.

City 3 York 3 1993 - crazy Boxing Day match which we led 3-0 at half time and yet could have lost 10-4!

City 5 Wrexham 1 1994 - Darren Adams' one moment to remember in a City shirt.

City 4 Brentford 1 1999 - Fantastic Jason Fowler goal.

City 3 Chesterfield 3 2001 - We equalised three times.

City 1 Bristol City 0 2003 - Thorne's header finally beats the wurzels.

City 4 Sunderland 0 2004 - the 03/04 team were great to watch when they were on song.

City 2 Leeds 1 2005 - an understated introduction from Jason Koumas!

City 1 Southampton 0 2006 - a 17 year old Gareth Bale plays at Cardiff for the first time as we go five points clear at the top of the league.

City 2 Wolves 0 2008 - first time into an FA Cup Quarter Final since 1927 and it was all so easy.

City 3 Burnley 1 2009 - the penultimate match at Ninian Park, I really thought we were going up that day.
    Cardiff 1 Bolton 0 was the first high quality match I saw and was the first match I thought of when I saw the thread title. The Bolton fans were packed into the lower family enclosure Canton End.

We were late to the game, and I remember being impressed by my old man's running abilities to get from Ninian Park Road to Ninian Park in minutes.

I seem to remember a loss at Torquay shortly afterwards (2-0) and almost qualified for the League's centenary tournament at Wembley. Tranmere Rovers took Cardiff's place (it was based on points won over a 10 match period).

I have a really crap memory - I can barely remember who we played last week, but the ones that spring to mind are:

The Hereford game
    Man City in the cup

Banned

Judging by how mad I celebrated.

Beating man city fa cup.

Beating Leeds fa cup.

Beating Shrewsbury last home game 1993

Chopras last minute winner against Swansea.

Beating man city 1st home game PL

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Wonderful game , Buchanan's shot was like a rocket , just skimming inches above the surface.
    36 years ago and I was there to see it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOvrAXaZKfg

Always remember Eddie's first goal against Doncaster, we won 3-0. Loved that team, McPhail, Chopra, Bothroyd...

Who was the keeper for the City 3 Middlesbrough 4 1970 game I was there cracking game.

Who was the keeper for the City 3 Middlesbrough 4 1970 game I was there cracking game.
    Frank Parsons

Feedback

2-1 home versus Leyton orient

So many to choose from , Toshacks last game v Hull, Madrid game, Beating Spurs with Sayers goal.War boys debut. Man Utd at Ninian park with fencing going up, as mentioned Hereford at home 30k crowd, SV Hamburg game, but beating Leeds was an emotional game, with passion, commitment, madness and joy,
    Have to agree with your choices but must pick you up on Tosh,his last game was away at QPR.

wales v jamaica was buzzing

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    wales v jamaica was buzzing
    Fantastic night that was.