+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Does Politics really effect your life?

Does Politics really effect your life?

Many young people have bugger all interest in politics, as they feel it has little or no effect on their day to day lives. They still get up go to work and repeat each day.

Other than tiny changes in the amount of tax. The day to day person doesn't have a huge amount of change no matter who is in control of their country, or what is going on around the world.

The only effect I have seen of austerity for example is dirtier streets in cardiff. As a result I will be volunteering to clear up the street in the next local clear up. budgets have been cut, but my library is still open, the local pool (that I never went to) has shut, but still several within 15 minutes travel.

Other than people on disability benefits I dont see many that have been effected since the crash and tightening of budgets in 2008.

Just wondering what has actually changed your life.
    Last edited by Barry Dragon; 24-08-16 at 10:30.

Re: Does Politics really effect your life?

Affect not effect.

The Russians call it salami slicing (incrementalism/gradualism). A slow-motion, almost imperceptible, decline in living standards. 'Nobody seems to notice, nobody seems to care,' George Carlin bemoaned.

A good example, the typical Briton's take home pay has fallen circa 12% in real terms since 2008 - so they've been slogging for less and less. I imagine it won't really hit home for many youngsters until they want to fly the nest to find they can't afford a mortgage or rent and that they'll be occupying the same bedroom until they're old and grey.

Unless you are very poor, or very rich, I doubt you'll see life changing differences.

Frankly bored of claiming life under the tories is so bad.

"Food banks".

Yes more have been created, which is a good thing.

The crash of 2008 was one we will be talking about into the next century. Of course things would be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    The Russians call it salami slicing (incrementalism/gradualism). A slow-motion, almost imperceptible, decline in living standards. 'Nobody seems to notice, nobody seems to care,' George Carlin bemoaned.

A good example, the typical Briton's take home pay has fallen circa 12% in real terms since 2008 - so they've been slogging for less and less. I imagine it won't really hit home for many youngsters until they want to fly the nest to find they can't afford a mortgage or rent and that they'll be occupying the same bedroom until they're old and grey.
    Thats the economics of it, not really politics. Government dont control pay levels. But I have to agree with what you have said in general. Rabid Capitalism is too blame for that. The need of constant increases in profit for large corporations. Companies that were not struggling took advantage of the recession and the other companies struggling, and took this as a chance to hold back wage increases, and increase profits. Now we are near the fictional level of "full employment" we are starting to see wages go back up as there are less people to fill these roles, demand for labour is up and supply is down. So we should start to see wages increasing properly. They have been above inflation for a while, but with inflation so low it doesn't count for much.

But as I said, thats economics not really politics.

Politics has tried to help, by increasing minimum wage, and increasing the earnings threshold where tax starts to be paid, and also assistance with mortgages to allow 95% mortgages again. So politics has helped those that you mentioned that are hit by the economic problems I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post

I'm sure it's Hungarian as opposed to Russian but that's not really important.

Throughout history the next generation have had a better way of life than their parents. This might now be the first time that it's the opposite way around, so the Salami Slicing doesn't really prove too much in this instance. I mean if in general we've continually had a better standard of living the further along we go, surely politics is having a better affect on you as opposed to a negative one?

Yes, each generation have had it better than the one that preceded it, no argument there. Things began to change at the turn of the century by design and the wealth will continue to be transferred at a greater pace from West to East, also by design. The Globalists haven't been shy about this equalising they have and are engineering.

Yes.
    I work for a branch of the civil service which has suspended automatic increments in regards to pay rises as 'we are all In it together '
    On the other side I work part time as s distributor for a utilities company which uncle Jezza would want to nationalise.
    Jokers to the left of me ***** to the right.....