+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Switching Broadband

Switching Broadband

Currently wanting to switch my broadband provider

Using a standard broadband line but want to upgrade to a fibre broadband, cable is not available in my area

Who's switched recently? Is it fairly straightforward? Who are people with and are you happy with the speed and service?

All advice welcomed

Re: Switching Broadband

i switched to sky from bt for two reasons,firstly i had sky q and it works better with sky broadband and secondly bt s shit customer service, switch was easy, buy, then you ae given a day and sent the router, on the day, plug it in and during the day it switchers over, the new provider informs the old one, very straightforward as a bonus the sky fibre is faster than infinity

Plusnet is pretty good I am getting 70mbs on the higher fibre rate, are you with sky if you are they are doing a deal for existing customers and if you go through a cashback site you get £63 back, if you go with bt through a cashback site (top cashback) you get £120 pounds and also a mastercard worth £125 which you can spend anywhere, if you add these two together and take it away from what bt charge for the 12 month contract then you are saving loads

What sort of speed are you getting on fibre?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa View Post
    What sort of speed are you getting on fibre?
    just tested mine 35mbs not the fastest but i live in small village in suffolk, for comparison bt infinity fibre was about 22mb

Sky broadband is far better than BT. My experience with BT was awful. With sky I get a constant speed of 36 Mbps.

With BT sometimes got close to 50 but more often was 5 or no connection at all.

Is it me or Packerman that you are asking, if its me I get 70mbs

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Is it me or Packerman that you are asking, if its me I get 70mbs
    You initially but all input welcome!

Are you in a built up area to get that speed?

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5577499085

How can you cope with awful speeds like you have? Upload speed is shite but download is constant, no matter what time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    Sky broadband is far better than BT. My experience with BT was awful. With sky I get a constant speed of 36 Mbps.

With BT sometimes got close to 50 but more often was 5 or no connection at all.
    You should go back to BT

In some less urban areas, switching between say Sky and BT - or any available Provider - will barely change your quality of service as basically they all use the same local infrastructure and 'backhaul' anyway.

In modern exchanges & most sizable towns, cities and conurbations the Providers have their own infrastructure in the exchange, and some can provide a better service & better value than others.

Unfortunately, it's not always consistently the same Provider up and down the country. It depends on your location to quite some extent.

Where I am, I may as well stick with BT. I have a 50Mbs service from them, and consistently get speed in the very high 40's.

(Though, again, there is more to a decent Broadband service than solely the (local) access speed ).

Asking others opinion (ideally area specific) is the best way, as Kiffa is doing.
    Last edited by Vimana.; 24-08-16 at 20:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    You should go back to BT
    Why when my experience with them was awful?

I'm with BT and I get 51.61 Mps. Quite happy with the service.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    In some less urban areas, switching between say Sky and BT will barely change your quality of service as they basically use the same local infrastructure and 'backhaul'.

In modern exchanges & most sizable towns, cities and conurbations the Providers have their own infrastructure in the exchange, and some can provide a better service & better value than others.

Unfortunately, it's not always consistently the same Provider up and down the country. It depends on your location to quite some extent.

Where I am, I may as well stick with BT. I have a 50Mbs service from them, and consistently get speed in the very high 40's.

(Though, again, there is more to a decent Broadband service than solely the (local) access speed ).

Asking others opinion (ideally area specific) is the best way, as Kiffa is doing.

I'm in an area where I don't think providers will differ that much in terms of speed

I've currently got sky basic broadband and it's fairly crap, but no less crap than any other isp would provide here I would reckon.

I don't like Murdoch and want to refrain from handing over as much money as I can. The missus won't let me take her sky plus away mind

In any case can I expect a decent bump in speed by switching to fibre, whoever I go with?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa View Post
    I'm in an area where I don't think providers will differ that much in terms of speed

I've currently got sky basic broadband and it's fairly crap, but no less crap than any other isp would provide here I would reckon.

I don't like Murdoch and want to refrain from handing over as much money as I can. The missus won't let me take her sky plus away mind

In any case can I expect a decent bump in speed by switching to fibre, whoever I go with?
    Yeah I like to avoid all things Murdoch :D though it is not easy or possible for everyone, even if they wanted to ;)

Yes, if you can get fibre where you are, then you will definitely get a vastly improved service by 'upgrading' - so long as it is working right.
    And if , for some reason it doesn't seem to be what you have paid for raise a fault and have 'em fix it.

Porthcawl

Kiffa here is a test I just did nearly 75mbs

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5577556251

Whoever you go with. Make sure you go through top cash back or quidco. You can get £50-100+ cash back and sometimes better prices as well than what you would on their site.

bt relly have a bad custamer service i tried to call them about my connection but cant get through even after calling many times

how do i swop

I am with Swalec in Llantrisant on fibre. Get minimum of 70mb+ everyday and upload speed of around 18mb.

I took up an offer they had running a few months ago (which they may still have) I am paying £21 per month for Internet and phone

All the Fibre To The Cabinet providers use the same infrastructure provided by Openreach, so you should get the same speeds (dependent on package) whoever you're with.

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    i switched to sky from bt for two reasons,firstly i had sky q and it works better with sky broadband and secondly bt s shit customer service, switch was easy, buy, then you ae given a day and sent the router, on the day, plug it in and during the day it switchers over, the new provider informs the old one, very straightforward as a bonus the sky fibre is faster than infinity
    Sky fibre is BT fibre

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    All the Fibre To The Cabinet providers use the same infrastructure provided by Openreach, so you should get the same speeds (dependent on package) whoever you're with.
    THIS^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Sky fibre is BT fibre
    Tis true, as we agree, he should've said Sky Q works better with the Sky router.
    If you're on sky fibre the Sky Q mini boxes also become wireless hotspots too.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Sky fibre is BT fibre
    sky broadband with sky q gives me a faster service because of the hotspots created by the mini boxes,