+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Villa left back Joe Bennett to sign on free transfer

Villa left back Joe Bennett to sign on free transfer

Re: Villa left back Joe Bennett to sign on free transfer

I like that signing. Good player.

Wednesday almost got him back earlier in the summer but wanted Villa to cover some of the wages.

This sounds like a permanent transfer with no fee - but 'inherited' wages from his previous Villa deal?

Still to be officially confirmed though.

Interesting the Villa don't appear to consider us a "direct rival"! This would be a good signing I think.

Confirmed by Villa owner on Twitter:

We have agreed to let Joe move to Cardiff for free but not subside any wages . Wish him a bright career there as many SW fans expected!

Always liked him at Boro but his career has definitely stalled

International

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Interesting the Villa don't appear to consider us a "direct rival"! This would be a good signing I think.
    I think what they said was that they were not prepared to subsidise his wages while he was playing for a direct rival. With us they are not doing so, therefore the 'direct rival' comment doesn't apply

Thought he was awesome a few year back when he played in our ground.

I really, really hope this does not mean Declan will be dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I like that signing. Good player.

Wednesday almost got him back earlier in the summer but wanted Villa to cover some of the wages.

This sounds like a permanent transfer with no fee - but 'inherited' wages from his previous Villa deal?

Still to be officially confirmed though.
    He's got a year on his contract according to their chairman, so I'd imagine we are paying a fee to him to cover the shortfall in the wages we're giving him and his existing deal. Say he's on 20k a week at Villa, we'll pay him that for the first year, and then the wages will drop down to 10k ish afterwards. That's my guess anyway!
    Last edited by Pedro de la Rosa; 26-08-16 at 13:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's got a year on his contract according to their chairman, so I'd imagine we are paying a fee to him to cover the shortfall in the wages we're giving him and his existing deal. Say he's on 20k a week at Villa, we'll pay him that for the first year, and then the wages will drop down to 10k ish afterwards. That's my guess anyway!
    He looked a rights prospect...hope he can achieve his potential here !! With doubts on John for tomorrow ..will he go straight in to the team ?

Quote Originally Posted by شهرستان کاردیف View Post

I guess that the consistently better of the two could feature on a regular basis. Surely that is a positive thing.

Banned

Gringo will go potty.

So much for giving the youngsters a chance.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    That would make sense.

Perhaps Bennett will be a better suit when we play a flat back four and Declan the option for wing back. Could be a while before we see Bennett I reckon.

Hopefully he can fill in on the right side too. If not, I still feel we're light there.

Tutonda needs to get out on loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Gringo will go potty.

So much for giving the youngsters a chance.
    I'll humour you this once. Dec looked decent in pre season and looked to add a bit of attacking intent, however his unwillingness to be braver instead of cutting back inside may cost him and he can have no arguments.

For the record I have no problem with us signing players who can actually add to our current squad though I could argue that this may block the pathway of players like Coxe and Abbruzzese in years to come.

I think the news of cuts to the Academy is absolutely tragic for future of this football club, whereas you would be happy to sign journeymen like Revell. Let's just say our understanding of football is irreconcilable

I will also add that if Joe Bennett is on anything more than 10k a week id be very disappointed that we are willing to repeat the same mistakes over and over again.
    I remember the lad playing for Boro and he was very good but I'd much rather keep our academy staff and avert the possibility of slipping into category 3 status.
    If this happens we will lose all our promising talent for nothing!

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I will also add that if Joe Bennett is on anything more than 10k a week id be very disappointed that we are willing to repeat the same mistakes over and over again.
    I remember the lad playing for Boro and he was very good but I'd much rather keep our academy staff and avert the possibility of slipping into category 3 status.
    If this happens we will lose all our promising talent for nothing!
    Gringo, have you got time to start a thread on the academy? I'm not sure what's going on. (I'm not willing to go to the dark side to source info)

Agree that Declan has started to cut inside a lot. But this could well be something that's instructed. I still think he's progressing well. But like you say, the competition can only be good. It's about time CCFC really nail the full back positions for once.

Bennett has only ever played on the left as far as I'm aware, so he won't provide the cover for both sides Trollope talked about. He's a better player than I was expecting us to sign in the full back/wingback position mind, but, based on what I've seen of him, he's yet another in that position who is more impressive going forwards than he is going backwards - I can remember Joe Mason giving him twisted blood on his way to scoring in our 2-0 win at Boro a few years back.

Some decent business done today by Cardiff City with Bennett and Amos in and Dikgacoi booted out.

If we can get Sam Johnstone in as first team keeper if Marshall has gone to Hull, as is rumoured, then not a bad days business.

Now we just need to concentrate on someone who knows where to goals are.

Banned

Slade had Declans card marked from the start now the penny has dropped with Trollope.
    Defensively he is not great and he don't go past people, maybe the competition for places
    will up his game.

Slade had Declans card marked from the start now the penny has dropped with Trollope.
    Defensively he is not great and he don't go past people, maybe the competition for places
    will up his game.
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-boss-paul-trollope-11803496#rlabs=7%20rt$category%20p$6

(Links not working properly - again!)

The Bluebirds boss says he is delighted with the progress the young defender is making and that his homegrown qualities are important

Paul Trollope has expressed his satisfaction with the progress being made this season by young full-back Declan John.

The Wales Under-21 international has shone in the Bluebirds early season matches and the City boss says, while he still has improvements to make, that his application and attitude have been exemplary.

On the eve of Cardiff's clash with Reading, Trollope said: "He has done well. He has had a little sickness big over the last couple of days so we will see how he is. He has made a positive contribution.

"We looked at how we wanted to work and the current system suits him. There is more to come from him, he is adjusting again to playing regularly at this level.

"He has been given a chance and taken it well, he has more development to do defensively and in the final third.

"He got forward well against Fulham and with more care could have created more goals for us. He hit the scene a few years ago and then took a dip and that is when you need to fight, have a good attitude and make a change in your favour.

"We have full belief in his qualities and physical capabilities, but he is still young and we will keep working to make sure he keeps progressing.

"He is in the Wales Under-21 squad, he has played regularly for that team, he has been in and out of the senior squad but hopefully regular football here can help his cause there."

Trollope emphasised that John's progress has been down not just to the encouragement and guidance he has received but to his own attitude and determination to succeed.

He added: "It is down to the individual, we can provide a good environment and believe in someone but they have to deliver and show they should be in the team with their performance and attitude and play.

"Right from the first minute of pre-season Declan has shown he is committed, he is determined and had a desire to be back in the team.

"If he keeps doing that he is only going to get better and be important for us.

"He came through the system here, the fans sing ‘he is one of our own’ which is crucial to the feeling of everyone at the club. We are delighted to have him in the team, he has work to d
    o but we are pleased."
    Last edited by jon1959; 26-08-16 at 15:03.

Banned

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-boss-paul-trollope-11803496#rlabs=7%20rt$category%20p$6

(Links not working properly - again!)

The Bluebirds boss says he is delighted with the progress the young defender is making and that his homegrown qualities are important

Paul Trollope has expressed his satisfaction with the progress being made this season by young full-back Declan John.

The Wales Under-21 international has shone in the Bluebirds early season matches and the City boss says, while he still has improvements to make, that his application and attitude have been exemplary.

On the eve of Cardiff's clash with Reading, Trollope said: "He has done well. He has had a little sickness big over the last couple of days so we will see how he is. He has made a positive contribution.

"We looked at how we wanted to work and the current system suits him. There is more to come from him, he is adjusting again to playing regularly at this level.

"He has been given a chance and taken it well, he has more development to do defensively and in the final third.

"He got forward well against Fulham and with more care could have created more goals for us. He hit the scene a few years ago and then took a dip and that is when you need to fight, have a good attitude and make a change in your favour.

"We have full belief in his qualities and physical capabilities, but he is still young and we will keep working to make sure he keeps progressing.

"He is in the Wales Under-21 squad, he has played regularly for that team, he has been in and out of the senior squad but hopefully regular football here can help his cause there."

Trollope emphasised that John's progress has been down not just to the encouragement and guidance he has received but to his own attitude and determination to succeed.

He added: "It is down to the individual, we can provide a good environment and believe in someone but they have to deliver and show they should be in the team with their performance and attitude and play.

"Right from the first minute of pre-season Declan has shown he is committed, he is determined and had a desire to be back in the team.

"If he keeps doing that he is only going to get better and be important for us.

"He came through the system here, the fans sing ‘he is one of our own’ which is crucial to the feeling of everyone at the club. We are delighted to have him in the team, he has work to d
    o but we are pleased."
    "he has more development to do defensively and in the final third".
    Is that not what I said?

Is that not what I said?
    But that is the point. nobody believes Declan is the finished article but the very fact that Trollope wants to work on these frailties rather than just cast him off, gives me hope.

Is that not what I said?
    You implied that Trollope had come around to share Slade's opinion on Dec. Trollope has him in the team (whilst pointing out where improvement and further development are needed) whilst Slade didn't.

will up his game.
    Give it a rest you single ply ****

Banned

You implied that Trollope had come around to share Slade's opinion on Dec. Trollope has him in the team (whilst pointing out where improvement and further development are needed) whilst Slade didn't.
    So Slade didn't play Declan?

They could even consider moving Declan forward into left midfield.
    He has pace, a good cross and a good shot.