+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Would You Let A Manager spend Your £millions ??

Would You Let A Manager spend Your £millions ??

I'm always think it's odd how footballers who can barely construct a sentence without clichés, end up in positions where they can go out and blow millions - tens of millions in the case of the Premiership - without any due diligence from the person[s] putting up the cash.

They're like kids in a sweet shop - I'll have one of those, two of those, etc. They haven't 'scouted' like the did in the old days, just watched video highlights presented to them in a neat package. I doubt few of the players bought in this window will be regulars, just sitting there in the dugout, chewing, looking blank, earning anything from £10k per week to £200k per week.

There are exceptions - I reckon Dave Jones rarely made a bad choice, but these managers are put on pedestals and revered by the media as if they have 'football wisdom' at their fingertips, yet they consistently blow tens of millions every season..

Re: Would You Let A Manager spend Your £millions ??

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I'm always think it's odd how footballers who can barely construct a sentence without clichés, end up in positions where they can go out and blow millions - tens of millions in the case of the Premiership - without any due diligence from the person[s] putting up the cash.

They're like kids in a sweet shop - I'll have one of those, two of those, etc. They haven't 'scouted' like the did in the old days, just watched video highlights presented to them in a neat package. I doubt few of the players bought in this window will be regulars, just sitting there in the dugout, chewing, looking blank, earning anything from £10k per week to £200k per week.

There are exceptions - I reckon Dave Jones rarely made a bad choice, but these managers are put on pedestals and revered by the media as if they have 'football wisdom' at their fingertips, yet they consistently blow tens of millions every season..
    No l bloody wouldn't,nor does it seem you would either Vincent

NO

Football is ****ed these days, I saw a story of a millwall player whose house burnt down a while back, I thought I'd see pictures of a decent 4 bed house, nope it was a 1.5 million mansion, never heard of him but he's got a mansion!

If any manager can find my millions he's welcome to spend them. The search may take a while though.

I've thought for a while that there are plenty of managers about whose transfer dealings get progressively worse as the budget they are given increases, so, in general terms, I'd say you have a point.
    However, we don't have to worry about that because our owner is a member of a transfer committee including our Chairman and CEO as well as the manager - let's just remind ourselves of all the great buys that Committee has made to continue the recent tradition that has seen players sold for more than we paid for them;-

Fabio - didn't cost us a transfer fee, sold for a reported £2 million.

I'll get back to you with the others as I think of them.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post

Dave Jones never had f all to spend.....

How many keepers and left backs did Jones get through?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    How many keepers and left backs did Jones get through?
    Well one basketball player at least.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Well one basketball player at least.
    Think she was netball.