+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Batten down the hatches – storms forecast for the Cardiff City Stadium area!

Re: Batten down the hatches – storms forecast for the Cardiff City Stadium area!

I've needed a day to try to get my head around the implications of what could turn out to gbe a watershed day in recent CCFC history. In fact when I heard of Marshall's transfer just before ok it felt like the day Kavanagh was helicoptered off to Wigan, reluctantly, as I believe Marshall has also no major desire to leave.
    Then of course the match itself, I expected the worst and got it.
    I live away form Cardiff and am not able to get down every week, so this was my first visit this season. I recall last years match. It went much the same way, Reading did all the attacking but looked as if they were never going to score in both games. The big difference was that Immers was on fire that day, he looks a shadow of the player we had such high hopes of.
    Defensively we are sound enough, with our new goalie having nothing to do against an average Reading side. Midfield we were shocking, with no pace. What the hell has happened to Ralls and while I think Whitts deserves a place if only for his dead ball delivery he has been found out for pace. Gunnar battles but he rarely finds a decent pass. Up top Pilks is clever but not a goal scorer and despite having several good chances we never looked like hitting the net, apart from one shot from Richards.
    We have gone backwards since last year, Reading are average. I fear for our season. We are several players short and I am not sure Trollope is the man to steady the ship.

Banned

Re: Batten down the hatches – storms forecast for the Cardiff City Stadium area!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gibson's pencil View Post
    If you thought that Williams and Van Den Beck were ordinary Championship players from your stream, you did not have enough camera angles. I can assure you live in the stadium, they looked very classy players.
    People like Casual who have never stepped foot in the CCS are not worth replying too.
    Like he made up the shit about the booing.
    Just ignore him.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Interesting piece, makes sense of the fact Trollope had offered a position in the academy to a coach, the position hadnt materialised waiting for Tans rubber stamp. Probably isn't going to reading that article.
    I agree with your comments about Risdale, he was/is a rogue but di an amazing job for Cardiff .
    I am getting a wee bit worried just how far Tan is going to let things slip , the one thing is he appears to HAVE the money for the long haul , I dont think Sam did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    People like Casual who have never stepped foot in the CCS are not worth replying too.
    Like he made up the shit about the booing.
    Just ignore him.
    I actually like Polo, I appreciate his sense of humour and self importance. What I dislike is his failure to back up his passion with attendance.

Must admit I tend much more towards Casual's view of Saturday's match - two poor sides who would have cancelled each other out if it were not for the fact that we let our right wing back get outnumbered by our own corner flag (Manga and/or Whittingham presumably should have been there to help Kadeem out) with two minutes left.
    Reading dominated possession, but never did anything with it until City gave them a hand by leaving the right side of their defence so open - they passed the ball neatly, but to no purpose.
    We had a kid in goals whose loan stay at a League Two club last season ended badly with him rowing on social media with AFC Wimbledon fans after he let in the second of two absolute howlers he conceded during his time there. My instructions if I had been Reading manager would have been to test our third choice keeper as much as possible, but, besides when he had to pick the ball out of the net, the only moment of concern for Ben Wilson was of our own making when Morrison's miscued clearance caused him to flap at a ball dropping close to the goal line - Reading were as toothless as we were.
    That said, although both teams looked lower half of the table material to me, at least Reading looked a bit closer to be being able to improve on that than us.
    I'm reluctant to criticise Paul Trollope too much because it's becoming increasingly clear that he is trying to do his job in much tougher circumstances than Russell Slade ever had to deal with, but the truth as I see it is that in six competitive games so far we've played two halves of football (first half at Birmingham and second half at Fulham) where it could be said that we have played pretty well - not well, just pretty well. For the rest of the time, we have been poor and our three home matches have been like watching a Slade team on a bad day.
    The new system is patently not working at home, but is that because the players aren't giving it a chance as the wing backs and central midfielders resolutely refuse to offer the support to an increasingly isolated front two (who aren't really strikers anyway!)?
    My answer to that is there's an element of half and half to it - the wing backs are either unwilling to get into positions where they offer a goal threat themselves (John against Blackburn for the first goal excepted) or they are under instructions to play in a more cautious way that you would expect from an away team.
    As for the central midfielders, the three we had on Saturday didn't appear to be physically capable of getting into areas to support the front two on a consistent basis - Gunnarsson managed to do it occasionally in the first half, but I didn't see him doing it all in the second period. The system we are playing should be perfect for counter attacking, but our attempts to do so in home matches are, frankly, pathetic as they peter out almost before they begin.
    Signing a striker with some pace and nous would help, but we are playing a system which needs the pace when counter attacking that Wales have in abundance. Cardiff City have suffered from a chronic lack of pace for three seasons now and, just as in previous transfer windows, hardly anything has been done to address that failing this summer - it was like chalk and cheese watching the Under 16s rip Palace apart with their attacking pace and then having to watch the senior team's constant checking back looking for support that was too slow in arriving a few hours later.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 29-08-16 at 04:12.

It bemuses me when people go on about new systems not working when no system will work when simple passing and movement isn't present and where creativity, effort and the ability to finish are sadly absent.
    It is ideal fare for those who have been advised by their doctor to avoid any excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gibson's pencil View Post
    I actually like Polo, I appreciate his sense of humour and self importance. What I dislike is his failure to back up his passion with attendance.
    I won't be going into full detail to strangers why I was absent last season and after Xmas of the season before but let's just say a mix of finances, had lost my mojo and I developed a serious dislike, turning into hatred for Russell Slade.
    With Slade gone I got my mojo back and went to the QPR game and it was one of the most boring games I've ever witnessed. Until QPR scored I think the whole game had been played in the middle third of the pitch. Best part of 50 quid for match ticket, 4 pints and a Grazing Shed burger which was the highlight of the day. It certainly wasn't the sort of game that made me think "I've really missed this".
    However I have earmarked going to the Leeds game and hopefully there will be an improvement but having watched the Reading game on stream, which (the bits I watched anyway) seemed to follow a similar pattern to the QPR game, I won't be holding my breath.
    Given the club seems to be willing to sell anything that isn't nailed down it looks like this is going to be a long hard slog and testing time for even the most hardcore of supporters.
    I don't consider myself a hardcore supporter anymore, my days off season ticket and attending many away games a season are no more.
    However I still care passionately about the club and want to see it do well.
    I certainly won't be celebrating its demise like some sad bastards on here.
    Last edited by CCFC CASUAL; 29-08-16 at 10:18.

[QUOTE=Taunton Blue Genie;4666490]It bemuses me when people go on about new systems not working when no system will work when simple passing and movement isn't present and where creativity, effort and the ability to finish are sadly absent.
    It is ideal fare for those who have been advised by their doctor to avoid any excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    I won't be going into full detail to strangers why I was absent last season and after Xmas of the season before but let's just say a mix of finances, had lost my mojo and I developed a serious dislike, turning into hatred for Russell Slade.
    With Slade gone I got my mojo back and went to the QPR game and it was one of the most boring games I've ever witnessed. Until QPR scored I think the whole game had been played in the middle third of the pitch. Best part of 50 quid for match ticket, 4 pints and a Grazing Shed burger which was the highlight of the day. It certainly wasn't the sort of game that made me think "I've really missed this".
    However I have earmarked going to the Leeds game and hopefully there will be an improvement but having watched the Reading game on stream, which (the bits I watched anyway) seemed to follow a similar pattern to the QPR game, I won't be holding my breath.
    Given the club seems to be willing to sell anything that isn't nailed down it looks like this is going to be a long hard slog and testing time for even the most hardcore of supporters.
    I don't consider myself a hardcore supporter anymore, my days off season ticket and attending many away games a season are no more.
    However I still care passionately about the club and want to see it do well.

I certainly won't be celebrating its demise like some sad bastards on here.
    I agree with your comments about the standard of football currently being played at the Cardiff City Stadium. It is turgid, it lacks tempo, pace and sadly there appears no collective will to take the game to the opposing team. We had a brief period of superiority in the first half on Saturday prior to Peltier' injury but from my seat I never felt confident that we would score or take the game away from our opponents.

The two home games against QPR and Reading have been pretty similar in my opinion, our opponents gradually exert complete control of the midfield area by playing technical possession based football pushing us deeper and deeper. In the last ten minutes they up their attacking tempo and walk away with all three points. We had a bit more attacking paly on Saturday because Pilkington was a nuisance.

It is certainly enough to try the patience of seasoned supporters, the mumblings of discontent from even the most optimistic fans who sit by me is becoming increasingly more audible and laced with valid frustrations. Therefore, we do become a little tetchy when we read the opinionated views off absent fans, even when they are absent for valid reasons.

I can not comment on the quality of the burgers, that is my sons field of expertise. I am a curry and chips at £2.50 from Canton rugby club kind of guy.

I really hope the Leeds game is a better and more rewarding experience for you.