+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Cardiff City in talks with Lafferty".

"Cardiff City in talks with Lafferty".

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...land-11811547?

The move is "no more than an outside chance" according to an "impeccable Bluebirds source" so, thankfully, there's still hope that it won't happen - having managed to get the ground a third full it seems that Tan and co are intent on getting that down to a quarter full by Christmas.

If we really are going to go for cheap options in this striker search as we react in typical one extreme to the other manner then, based on what we've seen at home so far, we'll face a real battle to stay out of the bottom three.

Re: "Cardiff City in talks with Lafferty".

I agree with you Bob, this is a signing I'd expect Slades to make so I'd be very disappointed if this happens

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I agree with you Bob, this is a signing I'd expect Slades to make so I'd be very disappointed if this happens
    My first objection would be because he has previously come across very poorly and therefore it's not a signing I could see Slade making.

I hope he doesn't come here

I hope this isn't true. Really would be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

"No longer shopping at Harrods!" we're now looking in the charity shops!

Not a signing id want.

BUT - I think we will go down with what weve got and he may be enough to keep us up.

Ideally we sign 2 strikers.

Id rather sign Lafferty that no striker at all.

Lafferty can't be any worse than the two misfits already at the club. While that might not be the attitude to adopt it does reflect the reality of the position the club is in. For all his faults Lafferty might be a decent acquisition for next season in League 1.

Why don't you want him here.
    Saw him play for Norwich against us at Carrow Road out wide and he murdered whoever it was we put up against him.

He's better than what we've got

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Saw him play for Norwich against us at Carrow Road out wide and he murdered whoever it was we put up against him.

This is what the Norwich fans think of him. Seems a bit of a nutter so may fit in quite well down here

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pi.../ShowPost.aspx

We want a goalscorer, he scored 1 for Norwich, his best goal scoring spell was for Rangers in the lower leagues

I tan to agree. We are not going to sign a Jordon Rhodes and he's better than what we've got.

Absolutely - I'd far prefer him to anything we have (though given what we'vr got thats hardly a ringing endorsement)

I hope we aren't reduced just yet to this level of signing, he makes Parkin look like Messi

He has scored 15 goals in 117 English league football appearances. .Hardly likely to solve our goalscoring problem. He also seems to be a bit of a tw*t. No thanks.
    Last edited by Michael Morris; 29-08-16 at 11:50.

I don't like Lafferty and signing him screams "LEAGUE ONE" to me. Lafferty and HRK? We're doooomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    We want a goalscorer, he scored 1 for Norwich, his best goal scoring spell was for Rangers in the lower leagues
    Not given much of a chance there. Played sporadically and pushed out wide.
    Did a good job out there for them when I saw him.

I'd go more on what he did with Burnley.

I think he'd do ok, he's better than what we got at the moment I think we need enough to keep.us up. He's a target man who obviously has a bit about him I expect most of our goals to come from set pieces so could do ok. I see Anichebe hasn't got a club I think he might be one we should look at.

He's trouble and is only better than what we've got when he can be bothered.

This reminds of the Jay Bothroyd situation in some ways, I was completely against us signing him, but got that one badly wrong. Maybe the same thing will happen with Lafferty if he comes here, but, although he has talent, I think he comes some way behind Bothroyd in that department - Bothroyd was good enough to play every week in the Premier League if he applied himself properly, I don't believe Lafferty is.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He's trouble and is only better than what we've got when he can be bothered.

This reminds of the Jay Bothroyd situation in some ways, I was completely against us signing him, but got that one badly wrong. Maybe the same thing will happen with Lafferty if he comes here, but, although he has talent, I think he comes some way behind Bothroyd in that department - Bothroyd was good enough to play every week in the Premier League if he applied himself properly, I don't believe Lafferty is.
    I don't expect another Bothroyd, just an improvement on what we've got and Lafferty should be that.

Is he still trouble ? I've not researched it, but I thought his issues were long past.
    Any worse than Bellamy's off the pitch antics ?

Not given much of a chance there. Played sporadically and pushed out wide.
    Did a good job out there for them when I saw him.

I'd go more on what he did with Burnley.
    He got 10 goals in 83 appearances for Burnley. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    He got 10 goals in 83 appearances for Burnley. Wow!
    30 odd of those appearances were as sub.

He also started there as a kid, he didn't really establish himself until his last year there.

He's not a prolific scorer in club football, but IS in internationals. Wonder why ?

More of a worry is that he has had so little club football in the last couple of seasons.

Again, it goes back to getting better than what we've got- and what is available ?

30 odd of those appearances were as sub.

He also started there as a kid, he didn't really establish himself until his last year there.

He's not a prolific scorer in club football, but IS in internationals. Wonder why ?

More of a worry is that he has had so little club football in the last couple of seasons.

Again, it goes back to getting better than what we've got- and what is available ?
    It's what we can afford rather than what is available. Though I'd like to see us take a chance on someone like Omar Bogle, as suggested by Des the other day. Certainly looks to have potential.

The two strikers we have are big men who have their assets to play into them and hold the ball up etc.

Now you would think that given we have just signed them then we would be looking for something different to compliment what we've got.

I have never rated Lafferty and I couldn't believe that Northern Ireland were pinning their attacking hopes on him. If we sign Lafferty it not only reeks of panic stations once again but it also highlights the complete mess our club is in when it comes to our transfer committee and the way we are run financially.

There is rumours of cutbacks and redundancies but we have just signed two centre forwards who the coaching staff would be seemingly writing off after 5 games!

I have said for a long time that Tan's first directive should be to hire a proper director of football and some proper scouts who can identify what we need as a club.

Agents see cardiff as a soft touch and even in the Slade era agents fees still remained extraordinarily high.

We seem to be wandering around in the wilderness as club, and when I seen us employ Ryland Morgans and Lawrence in the summer I thought things were heading in the right direction but unfortunately the problem runs deeper.

He seems to be a troublemaker. As for his playing ability, the chairman of Swiss club Sion described him as "useless."

He's not a prolific scorer in club football, but IS in internationals. Wonder why?
    Possibly because Lafferty's 17 goals in 52 international appearances include strikes against the likes of the Faroe Islands (3), Belarus, San Marino, Liechtenstein and Georgia.

If you at his scoring record while he was with Rangers, you'll note he went several lengthy periods without a goal. He's no Kenny Miller, that's for sure.