+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St. Fagans - a great day out

St. Fagans - a great day out

For anyone struggling for something to do tomorrow, why not visit the National History Museum? You can gain an insight of how Welsh people used to live, the trades they plied and the accommodation they lived in - everything from the poor farm labourers to the landed gentry.

And it's free entry! Open 10am-5pm daily.

Re: St. Fagans - a great day out

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    For anyone struggling for something to do tomorrow, why not visit the National History Museum? You can gain an insight of how Welsh people used to live, the trades they plied and the accommodation they lived in - everything from the poor farm labourers to the landed gentry.

A great day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    A great day out.
    Agree with both of you - brilliant attraction and museum. We're very lucky to have it in Wales

Anyone know when all the building work will be complete and the visitor centre open?

The electrical work in the Castle (Elizabethan manor house, really) won't be concluded until next year. Not sure when the centre'll be completed. It's difficult to view all the buildings in one day, anyhow.

One thing, for those with kids, or on a budget, take a carrier bag of pop and grub 'cause the price of refreshments are pricey.

A day out for skinflints

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    A day out for skinflints
    In fairness you've been spoils for choice in seeing old buildings in need of restoration and looking like they are falling down.

Just think of Pontmorlais

A day out for skinflints
    Been there twice recently and the only cheapskate I saw was when I caught sight of my reflection. I'd say St. Fagans is a light year more interesting than Cardiff Castle. It costs £12 to get in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    In fairness you've been spoils for choice in seeing old buildings in need of restoration and looking like they are falling down.

Just think of Pontmorlais
    A visit to Ken Morgan's flat on Pontmarlais is what I call a proper day out

Been there twice recently and the only cheapskate I saw was when I caught sight of my reflection. I'd say St. Fagans is a light year more interesting than Cardiff Castle. It costs £12 to get in there.
    If it's a free day out your after id rather a picnic in Bute Park myself but each to their own.

A visit to Ken Morgan's flat on Pontmarlais is what I call a proper day out
    Apart from the risk from your associates, I think the flat has had a prohibition order taken out on it due to being a death trap.

You were luckier than you thought!

Haven't been to see the pub they rebuilt from near the prison and opposite SW University but it sounds like another great addition.

Or just take a detour through Swansea.

Apart from the risk from your associates, I think the flat has had a prohibition order taken out on it due to being a death trap.

I woke up there after last years Xmas party with no recollection of how I got from Morlais Golf Club to Kens flat

I haven't been allowed out on my own since

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Haven't been to see the pub they rebuilt from near the prison and opposite SW University but it sounds like another great addition.
    There's a working men's club there somewhere. I didn't manage to find it or the pub. Did locate three toilets though. Better lay off the grog before visiting next time.

I woke up there after last years Xmas party with no recollection of how I got from Morlais Golf Club to Kens flat

I haven't been allowed out on my own since
    I remember you telling me. You stupid fuucker.

You're lucky they didn't do that scene from Deliverance with you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9gLN3QoN-q8

I remember you telling me. You stupid fuucker.

You're lucky they didn't do that scene from Deliverance with you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9gLN3QoN-q8

Character building

Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k

We're lucky to have somewhere so close to home where we can take a step back in time and see the hovels that people used to live in.
    otherwise we'd have to go all the way to Leeds

Banned

If you want to visit shit houses then you have arrived.
    Joking aside I'm a stone throw away and I have been there once.
    Criminal I know.

I have hosted quite a few foreign schoolchildren and students over the years (particularly Japanese) and I always try to take them to the magnificent St Fagan's.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    You talking about the Vulcan?

AFAIK it was demolished with a view to rebuilding it at St Fagans, but there's no funds to do the rebuild.

Pity, it could be a money-spinner.

Haven't done it myself, but I believe that IF you have a Cardiff address, you can get an annual pas for a fiver.

Edit: better than that, it's for 3 years.
    , and for residents AND workers in Cardiff.
    http://www.cardiffcastle.com/castle-key/
    Last edited by bobh; 29-08-16 at 07:27.

There's a working men's club there somewhere. I didn't manage to find it or the pub. Did locate three toilets though. Better lay off the grog before visiting next time.
    the workingman's club was Oakdale, my grandparents had a farm near the village

I went to St Fagans - and came away with a bruised forehead.

Tell's you more about the Welsh physiology than any textbook