+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling on ebay

Selling on ebay

I'm selling something on ebay and within a few minutes of listing I had a message saying they'd like to buy it and will pay me through paypal if I'd like to end the auction early.

Is this a scam?

Re: Selling on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'm selling something on ebay and within a few minutes of listing I had a message saying they'd like to buy it and will pay me through paypal if I'd like to end the auction early.

Is this a scam?
    Yes.

I guessed so.

How does it work? Once the money is in my paypal account, how can I lose it?

I guessed so.

I wouldn't have said so . Are you surprised whatever sold quickly?

Paypal is fairly bomb proof as long as you have adhered to their terms and conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I wouldn't have said so . Are you surprised whatever sold quickly?

Paypal is fairly bomb proof as long as you have adhered to their terms and conditions.
    These scammers are smarter than the likes of us, believe it or not

Well it's something that's collectable; some go for a relatively decent amount and some are unsold. Might read up on some scare stories from google.

These scammers are smarter than the likes of us, believe it or not

Well it's something that's collectable; some go for a relatively decent amount and some are unsold. Might read up on some scare stories from google.
    I have sent you a PM .I use ebay daily and have only ever been caught once. I go the police involved and had my money back . The person who is buying your item can you see his ID?

Don't end auction and sell without protection from eBay and PayPal.

Offer a buy now price and if they pay then your covered

if they don't pay after you've made adjustments ban them from bidding on your items and that's the last you'll hear from them

I have sent you a PM .I use ebay daily and have only ever been caught once. I go the police involved and had my money back . The person who is buying your item can you see his ID?
    Thanks Jimmy, I'll look now.

Yes, I can see his ID and he has a fairly respectable 60 transactions with positive feedback.

Yes, I can see his ID and he has a fairly respectable 60 transactions with positive feedback.
    Check they arent 10p items and I would take his dough.

Tigerbay has another way to cover yourself.

Bloody hell, I've had a second person asking me this now. I'm basically running my own auction. Isn't ebay supposed to be doing this for me?

Bloody hell, I've had a second person asking me this now. I'm basically running my own auction. Isn't ebay supposed to be doing this for me?
    Its too cheap.........

It must me a good item, usually people ask or offer for a buy now price so they guaranteed to get the item

If I were you look at the same or similar items on eBay and see how much they sell for then you'll have an idea how much you'd like

If you get a lot of interest let the auction run as you may get a good price with people out bidding eachother

If the offer s good I would sell . I had a wee look at your listing , it is the 99p one . I am guessing these have become collectable.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird View Post
    It must me a good item, usually people ask or offer for a buy now price so they guaranteed to get the item

If I were you look at the same or similar items on eBay and see how much they sell for then you'll have an idea how much you'd like

If you get a lot of interest let the auction run as you may get a good price with people out bidding eachother
    Cheers, think I'll let it run normally. I'd rather sell for a few quid than try to get more and end up getting scammed. Anything is a bonus as it's just from the back of the cupboard.

As for similar items, like I said some go for more than I expected and others didn't sell. Pot luck I guess.

If the offer s good I would sell . I had a wee look at your listing , it is the 99p one . I am guessing these have become collectable.
    Correct, that's the one.

Don't do it outside Ebay. The account has probably been hacked.

They'll tell paypal that they've not received the item and Paypal always sides with the buyer.

I guessed so.

If it is in your account and you draw it out then you are ok, but what happens is that they offer to buy but the money is never in your paypal account, is it true that your item is 99p if it is then you do not end the auction early, as there will be other buyers, but I have items on ebay and never been asked to end the auction early for the low amounts we are taking about, but I will say there are some dull people bidding on ebay besides the crafty ones

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    If it is in your account and you draw it out then you are ok, but what happens is that they offer to buy but the money is never in your paypal account, is it true that your item is 99p if it is then you do not end the auction early, as there will be other buyers, but I have items on ebay and never been asked to end the auction early for the low amounts we are taking about, but I will say there are some dull people bidding on ebay besides the crafty ones
    It is worth a lot more than that , he has an item that is appreciating in value by the look of it. If I see something i want I will try to buy it rather than wait for the auction to run.

It's not necessarily a scam, but I think they're trying to get it at a low price before others bid. I'd be tempted to ride it out. What's the auction number?

Sorry, no offence but why are you worried about 99p? If the money hits your account all good, just don't post it until it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Something Blue View Post
    Sorry, no offence but why are you worried about 99p? If the money hits your account all good, just don't post it until it does.
    The offers aren't for 99p

I do deals off the eBay books all the time if someone comes up with a good offer. It saves you paying eBay 10% of the sale and I have never been scammed. Just to add I have the best part of 5000 sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    I do deals off the eBay books all the time if someone comes up with a good offer. It saves you paying eBay 10% of the sale and I have never been scammed. Just to add I have the best part of 5000 sales.
    Through PayPal? What happens if the buyer says it's damaged etc, do you have the chance to refuse a refund?

The offers aren't for 99p
    Ah ok sorry. lol.

Through PayPal? What happens if the buyer says it's damaged etc, do you have the chance to refuse a refund?
    Leave it on mate, you have protection with it there. How much value are we talking?