+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gareth McCleary - Cardiff linked.

Gareth McCleary - Cardiff linked.

According to the Sun's Alan Nixon (who he?):

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...sfer-11816620?

If we got McCleary I would be fairly pleased - as with Huws, Immers and Bennett - but it doesn't answer the biggest problems facing the squad - goalkeeper and goalscorer!

I was happy with the direction the club were going in up to the first match (and even then I came away from Birmingham pretty optimistic). That bubble has burst, but I still hope the club are able to bring in the players needed to ensure we are competitive this season, even if not challenging top 6. If that is combined with coaching to make existing squad members better, and recruiting from the Academy/u23s then it will be a season of consolidation and progression.

But the recent signs are not good.

Re: Gareth McCleary - Cardiff linked.

Wouldn't mind McLeary, decent winger. But we're in desperate need of a striker before a winger!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Wouldn't mind McLeary, decent winger. But we're in desperate need of a striker before a winger!
    Agreed. He's a tidy player and would certainly improve on what we've got but if money's tight then surely a striker has to be a priority.

Unless we pull one out of the bag it's going to be a long hard struggle this season.

A bit left field this one. He's started all 5 league games this season. Would be a good signing but can't see it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    A bit left field this one. He's started all 5 league games this season. Would be a good signing but can't see it myself.
    One in one out sort of thing.
    e.g noone out mcclery in

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    One in one out sort of thing.
    e.g noone out mcclery in
    Think that could be a good shout about Noone, those few minutes late on against Reading are the only match action he's seen in our last three games. As for McCleary, he does something every now and again which makes you think "what a player!", but, from a distance at least, he seems to lack consistency - much like Craig Noone really.

We won't be getting a striker me thinks. It's going to be a long and painful season

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    According to the Sun's Alan Nixon (who he?):

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...sfer-11816620?

If we got McCleary I would be fairly pleased - as with Huws, Immers and Bennett - but it doesn't answer the biggest problems facing the squad - goalkeeper and goalscorer!

I was happy with the direction the club were going in up to the first match (and even then I came away from Birmingham pretty optimistic). That bubble has burst, but I still hope the club are able to bring in the players needed to ensure we are competitive this season, even if not challenging top 6. If that is combined with coaching to make existing squad members better, and recruiting from the Academy/u23s then it will be a season of consolidation and progression.

But the recent signs are not good.
    Thing is we don't hear anything from the club, no plans, nothing really. If they explained the situation and put forward a plan I'm sure most fans could buy into it.

At the moment we just seem to be stumbling around, cutting costs, but to what end?

It's clear for me Tan has lost interest completely but the lack of any real information from the club is ridiculous. Selling our best player for an initial fee under £5 million in today's market is awful.

Mccleary would be a decent signing but I don't see how he would be much cheaper than Noone and is he much different. Striker, please, any striker will do.

I would not be happy to lose McCleary. He has been disappointing over the past two seasons. However he has looked much sharper this season and back to his best.

I have said it before, as have others, our strikers have been feeding off scraps and although not the best about, they could do a decent job if the service improved.
    Apart from the obvious ones like Fred and Pilks, Kadeem Harris looks lively and can score goals so try him him up top.
    Rhys Healey, could he do a job from the bench to start with?
    We have collectively established that we will not be getting a decent striker, unless he is injury prone, ageing, has personal issues or too pricey.

Perhaps Trollope sees creation of chances not necessarily conversion as our problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Thing is we don't hear anything from the club, no plans, nothing really. If they explained the situation and put forward a plan I'm sure most fans could buy into it.
    Nail, head.

(I don't think Trollope knows either though)

Has he started following us on Twitter yet?

Apparently McCleary is in Jamaica on international duty so he won't be joining Cardiff City.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Apparently McCleary is in Jamaica on international duty so he won't be joining Cardiff City.
    http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/fo...live-11817069?

G-Mac staying put

So the word I’m getting on McCleary and Cardiff is that there is nothing in it.

From what I understand it is nothing more than agents doing what agents do best close to deadline day.

I believe G-Mac is in Jamaica anyway on international duty so it would be very difficult for any move to happen now.

So I don’t think we will see him rock up in south Wales any time soon.

Well, it wos the Sun wot spun it!