+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff Blues stunningly ambitious plan for the Arms Park

Cardiff Blues stunningly ambitious plan for the Arms Park

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/r...plans-11819889

Perhaps we could ground share with them

Re: Cardiff Blues stunningly ambitious plan for the Arms Park

Where's the retractable pitch going to go?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Where's the retractable pitch going to go?
    Watch the video it shows it all working on there.

Looks amazing but can't see it ever coming off.

Where do we place bets on which game will be called off because they've only been able to wind the pitch out halfway?

They want a pitifully small capacity stadium of 15-20k (with flashy bells and whistles) to accommodate their tiny fanbase. That's the Trojan horse to throw up coffee shops and the like which Cardiff has more than enough of already. They'll very likely want some public funding one way or another. Any money it's the brainchild of some familiar local property developers who are such grabbers they'd flatten their grannies homes (with them still in residence if necessary) in order to fatten their bank accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    Watch the video it shows it all working on there.

Looks amazing but can't see it ever coming off.
    I know it retracts to the side but where's it going to go? Into the MilStad, over Cowbridge Road? Over the Taff?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I know it retracts to the side but where's it going to go? Into the MilStad, over Cowbridge Road? Over the Taff?
    Urrrmmmm, watch the video it shows you.

Only half of it retracts. It retracts over the other half the pitch and then the other half of the ground is converted into a different type of venue. The video shows how it works.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    They want a pitifully small capacity stadium of 15-20k (with flashy bells and whistles) to accommodate their tiny fanbase. That's the Trojan horse to throw up coffee shops and the like which Cardiff has more than enough of already. They'll very likely want some public funding one way or another. Any money it's the brainchild of some familiar local property developers who are such grabbers they'd flatten their grannies homes (with them still in residence if necessary) in order to fatten their bank accounts.
    Didn't the tax payer already give the WRU an expensive stadium in Cardiff?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Quite.

Urrrmmmm, watch the video it shows you.

Only half of it retracts. It retracts over the other half the pitch and then the other half of the ground is converted into a different type of venue. The video shows how it works.
    Apologies. I just re-watched it. I though the whole thing slid out. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjOfiuhNfMs

It's a disgrace that another sporting / concert venue is even being considered in Cardiff!
    Not only is it immoral, it means another 5 years of feckin disruption to the city centre and the surrounding areas.

Strange to compare to Wasps crowds in Coventry, when Wasps play in a 2/3rds empty stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    It's a disgrace that another sporting / concert venue is even being considered in Cardiff!
    Not only is it immoral, it means another 5 years of feckin disruption to the city centre and the surrounding areas.
    City centres are never finished, you'll always have disruption going on there.

Bit rich for us to complain on that front....

Blue in the Face

Bit rich for us to complain on that front....
    Not complaining TruBlue. Was a genuine question. I thought that Millstad was entirely tax payer funded and then given outright to the WRU. Where as I thought the CCS was paid for by a company that CCFC set up.

Perhaps I'm wrong here? Did we get subsidised for the CCS?

The land, aye.

Not complaining TruBlue. Was a genuine question. I thought that Millstad was entirely tax payer funded and then given outright to the WRU. Where as I thought the CCS was paid for by a company that CCFC set up.

I think the WRU took out a huge loan on the ground so pretty sure it wasn't publicly funded or at least not in it's entirety.

As for CCS being paid for privately wasn't it only after the club were given valuable land that they were able to sell rent out etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    That is not pitiful in regional rugby,

The sports arent comparable as with rugby all the money is at an international level.

City centres are never finished, you'll always have disruption going on there.
    I'm not interested in other city centres, I'm interested in my city centre and the disruption caused from the constant building and demolishing.
    We are on the 3rd major regeneration of the centre in my lifetime and I'm only in my fifties.
    In any case, other city centres may have good reasons for the disruption, this in my opinion isn't one of them.

I'm no rugger fan but this facility would be a tremendous asset for Cardiff. Currently we only have indoor venues that are too big for many events (Millstad) or too small (CIA). This would cover the lot. I believe Bristol are finally intending to build an arena and there's a conference centre planned for the Celtic manor. We don't want to be losing out to those venues.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I'm not interested in other city centres, I'm interested in my city centre and the disruption caused from the constant building and demolishing.
    We are on the 3rd major regeneration of the centre in my lifetime and I'm only in my fifties.
    In any case, other city centres may have good reasons for the disruption, this in my opinion isn't one of them.
    I wasn't on about other City centres.

They had a ground which fulfilled all of the criteria the Blues need (granted, it didn't have boy's toys like a retractable pitch and a sliding roof), but stopped using it because too many of their fans were unwilling to make one of a twenty minute walk, a five minute train journey pr a ten minute bus or car ride to get there - I know we're talking about "the greatest club side in the world" here, but do they really think that all of this would bring about a situation whereby that claim would not be a laughing matter?

Didn't they just have some (tax payer funded) work done on Arms Park?

I think the WRU took out a huge loan on the ground so pretty sure it wasn't publicly funded or at least not in it's entirety.

As for CCS being paid for privately wasn't it only after the club were given valuable land that they were able to sell rent out etc?
    They still haven't paid BT for the land and knocking down of the old Cardiff Empire Telephone Exchange in Park street

It's about time they built a replacement for the old Empire Pool, I like the way the swimming area can turn into a concert arena, genius