+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Could be an interesting Academy match at Treforest on Saturday.

Could be an interesting Academy match at Treforest on Saturday.

Encouraging news that five City players are in the Wales Under 19 squad for a couple of games against Iceland during the international break, but this will mean that we'll have about half of our normal Under 18 side missing when we face Ipswich on Saturday - I'm looking forward to seeing how the members of the Under 16s side, who were superb in beating Palace 6-1 last weekend, get on in the older age group though.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...-3285863.aspx?

Re: Could be an interesting Academy match at Treforest on Saturday.

it will be a difficult game Bob and one we shouldn't read much into.

It's great that these players have been given call ups to represent Wales though.

I was down the Vale and I noticed that some of the u18s are now training with the first team.

When I was there I recognised Jarred Welch, James Waite and Cameron Coxe were all training involved.

This is great news as far as I'm concerned and gives me great hope that these kids will at least have the opportunity to prove themselves.

All age groups are doing well and last Sunday our u14s went up to Man City and beat them 1-0.

I watched the younger kids slaughter Bournemouth at every level down Treforest on Sunday too.

I have watched the last two u18s games and I have seen more progressive and entertaining football than I've seen with the first team for over 2 years!

The u16s were I'm told outstanding last week too and this is why I think it's imperative that any potential cutbacks don't have a knock on affect to the Academy.

There are some gems coming through and hopefully the change in ethos allowing these kids to at least have a sniff of first team football will convince these kids that Cardiff City is the best club for them to apply their trade.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Encouraging news that five City players are in the Wales Under 19 squad for a couple of games against Iceland during the international break, but this will mean that we'll have about half of our normal Under 18 side missing when we face Ipswich on Saturday - I'm looking forward to seeing how the members of the Under 16s side, who were superb in beating Palace 6-1 last weekend, get on in the older age group though.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...-3285863.aspx?
    thats the best news of the week , " five City players are in the Wales Under 19 " , pity news outlets are not so alert as you Paul , lets see what the others can delviver now ,big moment for them as well

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    it will be a difficult game Bob and one we shouldn't read much into.

It's great that these players have been given call ups to represent Wales though.

I was down the Vale and I noticed that some of the u18s are now training with the first team.

When I was there I recognised Jarred Welch, James Waite and Cameron Coxe were all training involved.

This is great news as far as I'm concerned and gives me great hope that these kids will at least have the opportunity to prove themselves.

All age groups are doing well and last Sunday our u14s went up to Man City and beat them 1-0.

I watched the younger kids slaughter Bournemouth at every level down Treforest on Sunday too.

I have watched the last two u18s games and I have seen more progressive and entertaining football than I've seen with the first team for over 2 years!

The u16s were I'm told outstanding last week too and this is why I think it's imperative that any potential cutbacks don't have a knock on affect to the Academy.

There are some gems coming through and hopefully the change in ethos allowing these kids to at least have a sniff of first team football will convince these kids that Cardiff City is the best club for them to apply their trade.
    I agree about not reading too much into Saturday's match Gringo, Ipswich stuck six on a very young City Under 18 side at the back end of last season I seem to remember.

The twenty minutes I saw of the Under 16s in the second half last week were as impressive as anything I've seen from a City youth team given that Palace are usually good at that level - maybe I saw them playing to a level that they didn't reach in the rest of the match, but I doubt it, because they'd scored four by half time.

I missed the Hull Under 18 match, but the game last week was a much more enjoyable watch than anything I've seen the first team so far - I'm looking forward to Saturday's match.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    thats the best news of the week , " five City players are in the Wales Under 19 " , pity news outlets are not so alert as you Paul , lets see what the others can delviver now ,big moment for them as well
    Youth team games are usually decent entertainment, but last weekend's matches were the best pair of games I've seen in twelve years of watching Academy games - if any City fans are at a loose end on Saturday morning, they could do a lot worse than get along to Treforest.

I agree about not reading too much into Saturday's match Gringo, Ipswich stuck six on a very young City Under 18 side at the back end of last season I seem to remember.

The twenty minutes I saw of the Under 16s in the second half last week were as impressive as anything I've seen from a City youth team given that Palace are usually good at that level - maybe I saw them playing to a level that they didn't reach in the rest of the match, but I doubt it, because they'd scored four by half time.

I missed the Hull Under 18 match, but the game last week was a much more enjoyable watch than anything I've seen the first team so far - I'm looking forward to Saturday's match.

The quality of the Hull game was also very high Bob. I believe they are missing a few centre backs at the moment so they are having to shuffle the pack a bit and that is costing them defensively at present.

I know there are high expectations for that crop of u16s and the u14s are excellent too.

Blue in the Face

U18 REPORT: CARDIFF CITY 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2
    http://www.itfc.co.uk/news/article/2...-3289022.aspx?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    U18 REPORT: CARDIFF CITY 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2
    http://www.itfc.co.uk/news/article/2...-3289022.aspx?
    Is the under 18 Ipswich manager the Alan Lee?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Is the under 18 Ipswich manager the Alan Lee?
    Yes it is, he'll have them all smoking in no time .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Lee_(footballer)

did anyone go?

I wanted to go but I was in the fecking barbers waiting for my son to have his haircut from 8:30 till 11:30!

Hairy lad?

did anyone go?

I wanted to go but I was in the fecking barbers waiting for my son to have his haircut from 8:30 till 11:30!
    Yeah I did - sat in the "Grandstand" for the first time!

There's a match report from an Ipswich perspective above, here's one that looks at the game from a different viewpoint!

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

That must be a very impressive haircut!

There's a match report from an Ipswich perspective above, here's one that looks at the game from a different viewpoint!

I laugh now but I assure you it's wasn't laughing at the time!

I got there at 8:30 and there were about 20 people queuing.

I'm pleased the youngsters gave a good account of themselves. Last week I thought Spence struggled to get involved, partly cos he wasn't assertive enough with lad's older than himself and partly cos Welch was using his long passing range a little too often, bypassing Spence and Waite in favour of worldie passes to the forwards.
    However I've seen enough of him to see that he's got something special. I've said it before but his head movement for a kid that age is something else as well as the his appreciation of space when receiving the ball.

How did Waite play?

I was pleased to see him training with the first team this week.

did anyone go?

Reminds me of a story,

Fella goes into the barbers on a Monday morning and says "how long a wait until you can cut my hair", the barber replies about an hour. Fella walks out.

The following Monday, the same fella calls in again and asks once again "how long till you can cut my hair", again the barber replies about an hour and a half. Fella walks out.

This goes on for about 6 weeks, with the same outcome every time.

When it happens again on the 7th week, the barber says to his young apprentice, "follow that fella and find out where he goes"

So the apprentice follows him, then goes back to the shop and the barber says "where did that fella go" and the apprentice replies "YOUR HOUSE"

Waite played a bit deeper than normal and, just like Sam Bowen, it was a question of could we get him on the ball - we didn't have a huge amount of possession, but we showed far more creativity than the first team have done in the home matches we've played so far.

I agree with you about Spence in the first half last week, I didn't see all of the second half, but he was in the game more from what I did catch of it. Today, he was more assertive, probably because there were more team mates who he's used to playing with - it also felt like he knew he was one of the "main men" in the side.