+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 47 years ago today

47 years ago today

47 years ago today one of the finest albums you could ever wish to listen to was released.

Five Leaves Left by the late, great Nick Drake.

Enjoy

https://ume.lnk.to/NickDrakeFiveLeavesLeft

Re: 47 years ago today

Its a damn fine record.

H
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    47 years ago today one of the finest albums you could ever wish to listen to was released.

Five Leaves Left by the late, great Nick Drake.

Enjoy

https://ume.lnk.to/NickDrakeFiveLeavesLeft
    .......and 60 years ago today, a great base player was born....I give you Bruce Foxton (the Jam)

Listened to the firat minute or so of the first two tracks, not my cup of tea tbh

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Listened to the firat minute or so of the first two tracks, not my cup of tea tbh
    I'm glad you took time to have a listen.

Sorry it wasn't for you.

Blue in the Face

I think he was 19 when he wrote this. He was a bit of a prodigy. Joe Boyd has to take a bit of credit too though.

Nick Drake wasn't well known in his time but its good he's been discovered over the past 15/20 years. "fame is like a fruit tree, so very unsound. It will never flourish till it's stock is in the ground".

Listened to 30 seconds of every song. The words dreary and monotonous sprang to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I think he was 19 when he wrote this. He was a bit of a prodigy. Joe Boyd has to take a bit of credit too though.

Nick Drake wasn't well known in his time but its good he's been discovered over the past 15/20 years. "fame is like a fruit tree, so very unsound. It will never flourish till it's stock is in the ground".
    He started recording the album in 1968, when he was 20 and released it a year later when he was 21. So you are correct when you say he was 19 when he probably started writing this, his first of just three albums.

The album sold in very small numbers at the time but his popularity has increased over the years. It was in the late '70's when I went to university that I was introduced to his music by a very lovely young lady from Gloucestershire.

I'm glad you took time to have a listen.

Sorry it wasn't for you.
    No problem, you obviously have a strong connection with his music and it's good that you are keen to share that connection with people who may not have heard of him (I certainly hadn't previously.
    Music rarely captures my imagination first time around, so I may have another listen, but my initial thoughts were that it was a bit "folky" for my taste.
    I googled him, sad story, i guess it makes you wonder what might have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Listened to 30 seconds of every song. The words dreary and monotonous sprang to mind.
    I'm shocked your opinions and tastes differ to mine.

Bit of an acquired taste, but when one track clicks for you the rest fall into place.
    Beautiful mellow listen.

I'm shocked your opinions and tastes differ to mine.
    I seem to recall you're a big fan of Neil Young, so I sort of knew I wouldn't like what you linked before listening to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I seem to recall you're a big fan of Neil Young, so I sort of knew I wouldn't like what you linked before listening to it.
    Neil Young and Nick Drake are somewhat different to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Bit of an acquired taste, but when one track clicks for you the rest fall into place.
    Beautiful mellow listen.
    Bit of a Leonard Cohen influence there?

Maybe a little in the voice,not quite as low as laughing boy Len, but not sure about the music. quite a unique style.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Maybe a little in the voice,not quite as low as laughing boy Len, but not sure about the music. quite a unique style.
    Fine artist that he is, I don't believe Cohen had much influence on Nick Drakes music.

He started recording the album in 1968, when he was 20 and released it a year later when he was 21. So you are correct when you say he was 19 when he probably started writing this, his first of just three albums.

The album sold in very small numbers at the time but his popularity has increased over the years. It was in the late '70's when I went to university that I was introduced to his music by a very lovely young lady from Gloucestershire.
    Did you shag her?

Blue in the Face

I reckon yeah. Also probably Kevin Ayers, Richard Thompson and John Martyn.

Have to say I'm not mad into Nick Drake anymore. But he was a big talent. Had strange and unique guitar tunings.

I think his early influences were Dylan and Van Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I reckon yeah. Also probably Kevin Ayers, Richard Thompson and John Martyn.

Have to say I'm not mad into Nick Drake anymore. But he was a big talent. Had strange and unique guitar tunings.
    Jackson C Frank big influence. Drake covered at least 4 Frank songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Did you shag her?
    And if so, bald clout or not?

Fine artist that he is, I don't believe Cohen had much influence on Nick Drakes music.
    Nope, certainly not a direct influence.
    Slight tangent but Cohen's last two albums are excellent, well worth a listen if you haven't already.

I think his early influences were Dylan and Van Morrison.
    Ah, see now I'm not that much of a Dylan man either, apart from handful of his more well known songs. Am partial to a bit of Van Morrison albeit his later music.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Jackson C Frank big influence. Drake covered at least 4 Frank songs.
    Oh yeah. There's all those early bootleg tracks. Forgot about that

Often have a beer / meal in The Bell in Tanworth in Arden. Both Nick Drake & Mike Hailwood are buried in the graveyard opposite the pub. Both very talented people from a smalll village, lost tragically too early in life.