+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Parent company of southern rail make record profits

Parent company of southern rail make record profits

One day after the government throw them 20 million of our money to help them 'get to grips' with delays and disruption. The boss of the franchise saw his personal renumeration rise by 200k this year despite them being the worst performing rail travel provider in the whole of the country.

Unjustifiable but I am sure someone will give it bash.

Re: Parent company of southern rail make record profits

I believe it is go ahead that are making the headlines. I thought they made cereal bars.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    So is it the boss of Go Ahead that has had a bonus ?

Southern Rail = Subsidiary of Govia, which is a joint venture between Go Ahead and Keolis

That's a bit of a tenuous link by the OP if that is the case. Southern Rail will lose their franchise when it's up - I wonder if the next Co to run it will do any better, I'd like to see a nationalised Co given a go and see if they can run it any better - couldnt do much worse
    I guess that is kind of the point. Create such a tangled structure that no one can really be blamed. I just find it bizarre that the government have had to pump public money into the problems when the businesses involved are taking money out.

I think it highlights the problem with introducing profit-making into rail travel. There is no competition, customers on this line have no other option really until the franchise is up, which simply isn't good enough. British Rail failed, Network rail failed and the public saddled with its debt, majority of the individual franchises offer a shit service. Yet when you dig into the figures, the bosses of these companies are getting pay rises year in year out. The chief Exec of Network Rail is receiving a pay rise of 4.5% this year, why?!

The transport system should be a vital service, moving people to places where they will be economically active yet it has become an industry in itself with no competition, no oversight, no expectation of success but massively high salaries paid to senior staff.

Look at Brian Souter of Stagecoach fame. Back in 2010 he took the Department of Transport to court over a franchise and was awarded £90million. He then split £88million between himself and his sister who set up the company.

The word is c u n t.