+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Newport game abandoned

Newport game abandoned

Waterlogged pitch.

Re: Newport game abandoned

What is it about pitches in Newport, Spytty Park was dreadful and Rodney Parade isn't up to hosting football and rugby - they'll have the usual backlog of fixtures come March.

The Dragons were away in Ulster last night and it's the start of the season, they can't use the old "rugby is ruining the pitch" excuse. I know the weather is bad but if local parks football can carry on then so should a league game.

Every time there's heavy rain that pitch gets waterlogged.

They need to invest in some proper drainage because there's been a few league games rained off over there in the last few seasons.

Amateurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill Stants brother View Post
    Every time there's heavy rain that pitch gets waterlogged.

They need to invest in some proper drainage because there's been a few league games rained off over there in the last few seasons.

Amateurs.
    They did drainage work not so long back - I'm just wondering if the ground's close proximity to the river Usk has anything to do with it. Shrewsbury used to have similar problems at Gay Meadow - I remember one very wet autumn/winter when Shrewsbury seemed to be incapable of hosting a match for months.

Rodney Parade is currently used by Newport County, Newport RFC and the Newport Gwent Dragons. I may be wrong, but isn't there also a ladies team (football or rugby) playing there too?

Newport RFC played a friendly there a few weeks ago, but it's only just turned September so it's not a case of too many teams playing there, but more a case of lack of drainage I guess.

It pissed it down in Macclesfield (properly Northern mill town pissed it down) from 10am until about 3pm, when it let up to a drizzle. Yet the game here went ahead. And the pitch up here isn't the best. Must have been monsoon in Newport today!

Am I the only one who was hoping the whole town flooded and washed away the eyesore?

Be fair what would we lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Am I the only one who was hoping the whole town flooded and washed away the eyesore?

You'd lose Ringland and Alway and, with it, centuries of culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

My job for starters just leave from the station back towards the M4.