+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Big Sam: I can't tell Rooney where to play

Big Sam: I can't tell Rooney where to play

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37271746

"I think that he holds a lot more experience at international football than me as an international manager.

"Using his experience with a team, and playing as a team member, it's not for me to say where he's going to play.

"It's up to me to ask whether he's doing well in that position, and contributing.

"I must admit, he did play a little deeper than I thought he'd play today, but I was pleased with his performance."

That last line gave me a chuckle. With the greatest respect to Rooney, his international experience is well and good but the manager should and will have the final say on positions and tactics.

I doubt Coleman says to Bale do whatever you want even if it might come across like that in the media. He is part of the team and has a role for the team as much as the next player, this is another case where England (and Allardyce) are completely wrong.

Thoughts?

Re: Big Sam: I can't tell Rooney where to play

That last line is excellent.

Rooney did an interview before the game saying he took it upon himself to take corners instead of Kane in euro 16 despite Hodgson's instructions. Sounds like England will have the same problems as before.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37271746

"I think that he holds a lot more experience at international football than me as an international manager.

"Using his experience with a team, and playing as a team member, it's not for me to say where he's going to play.

"It's up to me to ask whether he's doing well in that position, and contributing.

"I must admit, he did play a little deeper than I thought he'd play today, but I was pleased with his performance."

That last line gave me a chuckle. With the greatest respect to Rooney, his international experience is well and good but the manager should and will have the final say on positions and tactics.

I doubt Coleman says to Bale do whatever you want even if it might come across like that in the media. He is part of the team and has a role for the team as much as the next player, this is another case where England (and Allardyce) are completely wrong.

Thoughts?
    Rooney said after the game he played where BS asked him to.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

That last line is excellent.

Rooney did an interview before the game saying he took it upon himself to take corners instead of Kane in euro 16 despite Hodgson's instructions. Sounds like England will have the same problems as before.
    I can remember having a friendly argument with my brother and some of his friends after we gone to Wales rugby game in the eighties which they'd lost by sticking slavishly to a set of tactics which were obviously not working. From memory, Terry Holmes and Gareth Davies were the half backs that day and they kept on feeding the outside backs who our opponents (Ireland I think) were containing quite easily.

The majority argued that they were right to keep to instructions they'd been given by the coaches, whereas I said that, as experienced players who could hurt opponents with their power and running ability, in Holmes' case and tactical kicking ability in Davies', they should have been thinking on their feet and mixed things up more - if the coaches couldn't accept that Plan A wasn't working and something different should have been tried, then they shouldn't have been doing the job in the first place.

I still think I was right there and so I say Rooney was right to tell Kane he wasn't taking corners any more - his corners and free kicks were hopeless and the man who was England's number one choice striker was, effectively being completely wasted when they had an attacking dead ball situation.

Regarding Allardyce letting Rooney play where he wanted to, I think he's winding up the media there (at least I hope he is) - even if it was happening, Allardyce has been in the game long enough now to know that it is the sort of thing any manager who wants to keep his job would never admit to.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 05-09-16 at 08:31.

I sometimes think that the preoccupation with tactics does inhibit flair, spontaneity and creativity.

Big Sam's not dull he's probably waking up this morning laughing because nobody's talking about the game just what he said about Shrek don't think I've heard about any of the players lambasted as they usually get

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I sometimes think that the preoccupation with tactics does inhibit flair, spontaneity and creativity.
    Does that explain why City are playing as they do?

I think his words are being taken out of context. I saw an interview with him before the game where he said pretty much the same thing. Playing in that number 10 role hes giving him licence to where he moves on the pitch. What hes then saying its up to him to judge wether or not Rooney is being effective in that role.

I did think he was playing very deep for a number 10 yesterday and went even deeper when Ali come on but perhaps the tactic changed as the oppo went down to 10 men.

Its down to each manager I suppose. I dont see any problem with giving players responsibility. I remember Whittingham giving an interview saying DJ gave players licence to make decisions for themselves on the pitch, whereas Malky wanted to kick every ball and instruct players where he wanted them to be, what he wanted them to do.etc at all times. I know which football I preffered watching.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    I think his words are being taken out of context. I saw an interview with him before the game where he said pretty much the same thing. Playing in that number 10 role hes giving him licence to where he moves on the pitch. What hes then saying its up to him to judge wether or not Rooney is being effective in that role.

I did think he was playing very deep for a number 10 yesterday and went even deeper when Ali come on but perhaps the tactic changed as the oppo went down to 10 men.

Its down to each manager I suppose. I dont see any problem with giving players responsibility. I remember Whittingham giving an interview saying DJ gave players licence to make decisions for themselves on the pitch, whereas Malky wanted to kick every ball and instruct players where he wanted them to be, what he wanted them to do.etc at all times. I know which football I preffered watching.
    I think his exact words to whitts was "you're the player crack on"