+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How do you rate the summer transfer window?

Blue in the Face

How do you rate the summer transfer window?

This might be a thread to bump so as to have some retrospect later into the season.

How do you rate our transfer dealings for this summer window?

I may have missed some names below.
    C = contract expired
    LC = loaned out with contract expiring at the end of the term

OUT

David Marshall
    Fábio
    Scott Malone - Swap
    Rhys Healey (contract expires at the end of season, but loan expires in winter)
    Joe Lewis - C
    Filip Kiss - C
    Etien Velikonja - C
    Ben Turner - C
    Kenwyne Jones - C
    Eoin Doyle
    Simon Moore
    Adam Le Fondre - LC
    Adedeji Oshilaja - LC
    Tom Adeyemi - LC
    Idriss Saadi - Loan but not sure about his contract
    Federico Macheda
    Kagisho Dikgacoi

IN

Jazz Richards - Swap
    Frédéric Gounongbe
    Emyr Huws
    Rickie Lambert
    Lex Immers
    Joe Bennett
    Kenneth Zohore
    Ben Amos
    Brian Murphy
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 03-09-16 at 13:33.

Re: How do you rate the summer transfer window?

Off the field great, on the field worrying times.

Yes we've got a lot of high earners off the wage bill as we try and address the financial side but the quality brought in questionable, especially the 2 foreign strikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    This might be a thread to bump so as to have some retrospect later into the season.

How do you rate our transfer dealings for this summer window?

I may have missed some names below.

C = contract expired
    LC = loaned out with contract expiring at the end of the term

OUT

David Marshall
    Fábio
    Scott Malone - Swap
    Rhys Healey (contract expires at the end of season, but loan expires in winter)
    Joe Lewis - C
    Filip Kiss - C
    Etien Velikonja - C
    Ben Turner - C
    Kenwyne Jones - C
    Eoin Doyle
    Simon Moore
    Adam Le Fondre - LC
    Adedeji Oshilaja - LC
    Tom Adeyemi - LC
    Idriss Saadi - Loan but not sure about his contract
    Federico Macheda
    Kagisho Dikgacoi

IN

Jazz Richards - Swap
    Frédéric Gounongbe
    Emyr Huws
    Rickie Lambert
    Lex Immers
    Joe Bennett
    Kenneth Zohore
    Ben Amos
    Brian Murphy
    Of course we don't see the actual numbers in terms of salaries but I reckon a very good series of decisions. We all would have wanted Marshall to stay but..... After all the problems created by relegation and all the politics etc. I see this as a platform from which we can grow.
    Lambert was a great last minute addition, so I think we should have a good season..

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Off the field great, on the field worrying times.

Yes we've got a lot of high earners off the wage bill as we try and address the financial side but the quality brought in questionable, especially the 2 foreign strikers.
    My feeling is I'm happy with us to assemble the squad the football people at the club want, over a slower time period. We are shelling out much shorter contracts and lower wages now. The likes of Fred or any of the keepers could be seen as stop gaps while better buying opportunities come about?

I'm hoping Zahore can learn a thing or two from Lambert to improve his game. But did we sign him because that was the initial agreement behind closed doors that he would never play for K.V. Kortrijk? Or because the coaching staff saw actual potential in him?

In an ideal situation I would have kept 2-3 of those who have left; Oshilaja being the third but will refer to the youth watchers to see if it should instead be 2.

I think our signings are a mixed bag: weakened in the goalie department, too much of the same upfront with limited hope that any will be a regular goal-scorer, skill added in the middle but still a lack of pace and two championship full-backs. A C+, but it also may be our most successful window for a number of years.

Overall an optimistic B minus.

I don't know what to add to what has been said above. I'm not sure I know what to think - full stop.

It could have been worse.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    In an ideal situation I would have kept 2-3 of those who have left; Oshilaja being the third but will refer to the youth watchers to see if it should instead be 2.

I think our signings are a mixed bag: weakened in the goalie department, too much of the same upfront with limited hope that any will be a regular goal-scorer, skill added in the middle but still a lack of pace and two championship full-backs. A C+, but it also may be our most successful window for a number of years.

Overall an optimistic B minus.
    I'd have kept Oshilaja because he could have offered cover in plenty of positions.

I agree with your assessment of the goalkeepers and strikers (I'm trying to be more optimistic about Amos and co, but I think we are taking a very big risk in the goalkeeping department).

It's an obvious thing to say, but what the league table says in December will decide how successful or otherwise our summer transfer business was - it's also true to say that we've not seen three of our new players in action for us yet and a fourth has barely played.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd have kept Oshilaja because he could have offered cover in plenty of positions.

I agree with your assessment of the goalkeepers and strikers (I'm trying to be more optimistic about Amos and co, but I think we are taking a very big risk in the goalkeeping department).

It's an obvious thing to say, but what the league table says in December will decide how successful or otherwise our summer transfer business was - it's also true to say that we've not seen three of our new players in action for us yet and a fourth has barely played.
    As an optimist I would hope losing the best goalie in the division means we don't finish out of the top 6 by the the 10-12 points that Marshall was worth to us

As a pessimist the 10 - 12 points that Marshall was definitely worth to us a season I can see this being the difference between us being safe in mid table and struggling against relegation.

I hope losing Marshall doesn't turn out to be the worst transfer decision that the non footballing people who run our club are seen to have made.

With all the poor transfer decisions that have been made over the last few years if I was the man calling the shots I would search high and low for a very experienced football man from the UK to be put in charge of all footballing matters
    including recruitment, transfers loans and contracts etc

and more importantly I'd F***ing well leave him alone to make those decisions

We have signed enough to keep us battling around mid table and that's about it, as sad as it sounds. Goalkeepers don't fill me with any confidence and if Lambert gets a long term injury it looks like we could be out of goals completely.

Slightly controversial but even with Marshall we struggle to hold onto a lead, arguably because when teams are chasing the game we don't seem able to punish them on the break.
    Sacrificing Marshall to try and get more goals is obviously a risk, but we needed to change things. In an ideal world, we'd strengthen up front and keep Marshall but the best keeper in the world cant hold out forever.

On the finance side I'd estimate that's about £12-14m off the wage bill (allowing for us having paid up a high % of the wages of those with contracts cancelled and loaned)

It needs to be remembered that a few of those were on loan anyway last season, so the net effect v last year is probably only £8-£12m

And £5-£7m of wages extra for those coming in

Fees in
    Marshall £3.5-£5.5 m
    Fabio £2m
    Moore £500k
    Doyle £700k

'Book' profit after amortisation £6-£8m

Out
    Immers £1m- £1.5m
    Fred ? Maybe £1m
    Huws £1m

Annual amortisation just under £1m

So v's last season total wage bill down £1-£7m plus transfer profit of £5-7m

Bear in mind income from parachute payments is down £8m and we were sailing close to FFP all last year, then it's clear that a major player had to be sold.

If we take the mid points of the above estimates we are about £10m better off, less the drop in para payments, only £2m

Says to me also that Tan will STILL need to be putting money in to keep us going.

Next year we will have the extra benefit of not having to pay the balances on the loanees who will be out of contract and the ones terminated which will benefit us by something like £2-£3m, but that leaves little room for money for new contracts for the likes of Manga, Whitts, Pilks , No one etc..

Will probably see 1-2 of those go, unless Tan decides to go big again.

Personally I would have been happy selling Manga if we could have got a decent fee and bringing in a replacement for half of the cost on a longer term contract.

Good player, but too many mistakes to be worth what he costs us.

He'll most likely go for peanuts in Jan or free in May

£20 every fortnight - using the long-pole method for the wash.

Forgot, we are also saving a significant lump on not having Ameobi here any more

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Forgot, we are also saving a significant lump on not having Ameobi here any more
    Also losing a whack at the turnstile.

This post started talking about football, and ended up talking about amortisation and it sums up Cardiff's problems in one.

Back to football.

Cardiff have lost two goalkeepers, an attacking wing-back who would have fitted the 3-5-2 formation very well, and a few players who were earning far too much money.

They have replaced them with a goalkeeper, an experienced striker, and a few "ok" types around the field. Cardiff are better on the pitch after this window, with the exception of the goalkeeping position where the club is taking a huge gamble. The whole team needs to have a goalkeeper they can trust, otherwise they end up playing another 10-20 yards closer to their own goals to compensate for a "dodgy" 'keeper. I am not saying Amos or Wilson are "dodgy", time will tell - but if Marshall hasn't been adequately replaced, then Cardiff are in for a long season.

Cardiff are a lower mid-table team, the public won't support that and so, with the loss of parachute payments next season coupled with an expected loss of numbers at the turnstile, then we can all look forward to another few years of talking about amortisation, bottom lines and "is this the year Tan goes for it?".

Weve made a right mess of the goalkeeping position and I dont think Jazz Richards is a good signing.

Mid table and decent football while the cost cutting goes on will be a job done.

Off the pitch we are heading in the right direction

On the finance side I'd estimate that's about £12-14m off the wage bill (allowing for us having paid up a high % of the wages of those with contracts cancelled and loaned)

It needs to be remembered that a few of those were on loan anyway last season, so the net effect v last year is probably only £8-£12m

And £5-£7m of wages extra for those coming in

Fees in
    Marshall £3.5-£5.5 m
    Fabio £2m
    Moore £500k
    Doyle £700k

'Book' profit after amortisation £6-£8m

Out
    Immers £1m- £1.5m
    Fred ? Maybe £1m
    Huws £1m

Annual amortisation just under £1m

So v's last season total wage bill down £1-£7m plus transfer profit of £5-7m

Bear in mind income from parachute payments is down £8m and we were sailing close to FFP all last year, then it's clear that a major player had to be sold.

If we take the mid points of the above estimates we are about £10m better off, less the drop in para payments, only £2m

Says to me also that Tan will STILL need to be putting money in to keep us going.

Next year we will have the extra benefit of not having to pay the balances on the loanees who will be out of contract and the ones terminated which will benefit us by something like £2-£3m, but that leaves little room for money for new contracts for the likes of Manga, Whitts, Pilks , No one etc..

Will probably see 1-2 of those go, unless Tan decides to go big again.

Personally I would have been happy selling Manga if we could have got a decent fee and bringing in a replacement for half of the cost on a longer term contract.

Good player, but too many mistakes to be worth what he costs us.

He'll most likely go for peanuts in Jan or free in May
    Fred was a Bosman signing wasn't he? I would have thought it more likely that we'd pay a fee for Zohore after Kortrijk has paid about a million for him in January.

Fred was a Bosman signing wasn't he? I would have thought it more likely that we'd pay a fee for Zohore after Kortrijk has paid about a million for him in January.
    A million for Zohore

Mad.

Yes, my mistake, mixed Ken and Fred up.

Also gate takings will be largely the same this year as last.
    2k extra season tickets sold, but at slightly lower average prices.
    Not that a few hundred grand makes much difference against an £8m drop in parachute payments

Yes, my mistake, mixed Ken and Fred up.

Also gate takings will be largely the same this year as last.
    2k extra season tickets sold, but at slightly lower average prices.
    Not that a few hundred grand makes much difference against an £8m drop in parachute payments
    That doesn't matter Tan pockets them anyway if you listen to certain quarters

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    That doesn't matter Tan pockets them anyway if you listen to certain quarters
    I don't.
    Anyone who thinks that hasn't got a clue about football finance. 👍