+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T carers for dementia sufferer, vale of Glam

Question O/T carers for dementia sufferer, vale of Glam

Hi,

My Mum (in Cowbridge) has dementia & now needs daily help with personal care - i.e. washing & dressing, which the carers agency we were using are incapable of providing so we need to find new carers. We're trying to delay Mum's entry into a care home, so that she can stay with her beloved dog & because so far she's resisted the idea.

Anyone know a carer or an agency that you'd recommend for looking after a dementia sufferer? Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers

Re: O/T carers for dementia sufferer, vale of Glam

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinblue View Post
    Hi,

My Mum (in Cowbridge) has dementia & now needs daily help with personal care - i.e. washing & dressing, which the carers agency we were using are incapable of providing so we need to find new carers. We're trying to delay Mum's entry into a care home, so that she can stay with her beloved dog & because so far she's resisted the idea.

Anyone know a carer or an agency that you'd recommend for looking after a dementia sufferer? Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers
    Social Services are your best option. They will supply a list of carers for the Vale. Age Concern will assist with Attendance Allowance etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JKB View Post
    Social Services are your best option. They will supply a list of carers for the Vale. Age Concern will assist with Attendance Allowance etc.
    ^^^This.

Give the VoG a ring. Age Concern are fantastic too and help you understand any benefits that you may be entitled to apply for to assist with caring.

There's a company based at Atlantic trading called Allied Health Care and there's another company something Bluebirds,which I found on the Internet. These companies don't come keep,they cost about £16 or £17 an hour. My elderly cousin has been using one of the companies but is in hospital now temporarily. I'd rather not say which company she uses ,as I don't want to suggest one is better than the other

Thanks very much guys.

We've a good relationship with Social Services and they've been helping us a lot already, and they're making enquiries, too. We had been using Cherish Cymru but they were disappointing to say the least. Also thanks for the Age Concern tip. I doubt day care would work for my Mum, given her circumstances, but will think about it. Ta for Allied & Bluebird Care suggestions.

Age Concern have not been operating (bar one or two small charities who refuse to give up the brand) since 2009. Call Age Cymru for advice - 08000 223 444