+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Construction / Warehouse Workers question. Heavy material lifting

Construction / Warehouse Workers question. Heavy material lifting

I know there is always somebody on here with some good advice,

Ive got a 1m2 pizza oven turning up tomorrow. I was unaware until today that it weighs roughly 500kg!

It will come on a pallet and i can get it near enough to the area it has to be with some dollys i have. The forward thinker i am, i didnt consider how to lift it roughly 800mm high onto its platform.

Does anybody have any advice on this. One option is to high in a pallet lift truck and have a few men slide it over which is painfully expensive for the 30minutes i will need it.

The cowboy in me is thinking that there must be another (cheaper) option. I am considering say 6 small lifts positioning 2 pallet stacks side by side and gradually lifting it one higher at a time onto the next until its level with the platform. Does anybody have any good advice on how they would do it?

Re: Construction / Warehouse Workers question. Heavy material lifting

Quote Originally Posted by dave jones attacking sub View Post

Ive got a 1m2 pizza oven turning up tomorrow. I was unaware until today that it weighs roughly 500kg!

It will come on a pallet and i can get it near enough to the area it has to be with some dollys i have. The forward thinker i am, i didnt consider how to lift it roughly 800mm high onto its platform.

Does anybody have any advice on this. One option is to high in a pallet lift truck and have a few men slide it over which is painfully expensive for the 30minutes i will need it.

The cowboy in me is thinking that there must be another (cheaper) option. I am considering say 6 small lifts positioning 2 pallet stacks side by side and gradually lifting it one higher at a time onto the next until its level with the platform. Does anybody have any good advice on how they would do it?
    a engine hoist ? ? ?

they do 1 tonne hoists

Car jacks with you propping it up every few cm.

Thank gawd you weren't on the Stonehenge project back in 4000BC

just E.mailed a mate who is into his vans ( T4's and 5's ) and he said that HSS will have a engine hoist ( they call is a engine crane ) for about £ 50 a day

Ffs just go to dominos like everyone else

Banned

Invite all your mates around for a garden party n pizza.
    Then when they all get there just say "do us a favour, can you give me a lift"?

Don't attempt to lift it yourself even in small sections unless you want to spend the rest of your life in agony with back problems. Hire an engine hoist or hydraulic jacks.

Make sure you are wearing steel toecap boots. Oh, and a hi vis vest,the vest won't help but the hse will be chuffed with you.

so how did this pan out ? ? ?

Apologies to everyone who suggested without any thanks. Sent my phone away for a repair and it was the only thing that had my account details saved.

Engine hoist worked very well! it did take a bit of brute force once i had it up on the platform as the hist would only reach so far in the position i could get the legs set up in.

Thanks for the suggestion! Think it was actually the only it could be done without a crane!

Quote Originally Posted by Something Blue View Post
    Make sure you are wearing steel toecap boots. Oh, and a hi vis vest,the vest won't help but the hse will be chuffed with you.
    What a load of rubbish these so-called safety boots with steel toecaps are. They certainly didn't prevent any injuries happening to the person who pushed in front of me in the taxi queue on Saturday night.

Apologies to everyone who suggested without any thanks. Sent my phone away for a repair and it was the only thing that had my account details saved.

Engine hoist worked very well! it did take a bit of brute force once i had it up on the platform as the hist would only reach so far in the position i could get the legs set
    Thanks for the suggestion! Think it was actually the only it could be done without a crane!
    Let us know when the first pizzas are rolling off the production line, I'll send a low loader around to pick them up

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    Invite all your mates around for a garden party n pizza.
    Then when they all get there just say "do us a favour, can you give me a lift"?

Why, where you going, can't you book a taxi, you rich fecker.