+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Need v. Greed, and the E-Word

Need v. Greed, and the E-Word

According to this BBC article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31963099 29 pensioners out of a total of 12 million rejected their Winter Fuel Payment for winter 2014/15. That equates to one in every four hundred thousand.

That benefit isn't means-tested and is given automatically to those deemed eligible by the government. It's also given automatically to a list of other benefit claimants in addition to those pocketing the State Pension, whether they're skint, have millions, or any amount in savings and capital between those extremes.

I would guess that the vast majority who have substantial wealth and could quite easily forego their payments would justify collecting it by stating they are ENTITLED to it. They would, obviously, have a valid point. But perhaps they are on shaky moral ground?

Do venerable members give a yay or nay to the grab what you can culture?

Re: Need v. Greed, and the E-Word

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    If the vote sweetener works, why change it?

Rather than thinking about this as grabbing something for free you should think about it as taking money away from the government so they can't spend it on things you don't like. For example, I don't like public money going to UK/USA backed terrorists in Syria. The more I take the less they've got to waste on regime change and other illegal activities.

That's an interesting perspective, one that I haven't heard before. Amongst pensioners I've asked, the default response (delivered defensively) were the, "I worked all my life..." gambit and a distance second was, "I deserve it more than *og 3rd worlders who come here do."

According to this BBC article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31963099 29 pensioners out of a total of 12 million rejected their Winter Fuel Payment for winter 2014/15. That equates to one in every four hundred thousand.

That benefit isn't means-tested and is given automatically to those deemed eligible by the government. It's also given automatically to a list of other benefit claimants in addition to those pocketing the State Pension, whether they're skint, have millions, or any amount in savings and capital between those extremes.

I would guess that the vast majority who have substantial wealth and could quite easily forego their payments would justify collecting it by stating they are ENTITLED to it. They would, obviously, have a valid point. But perhaps they are on shaky moral ground?

do you take it

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    do you take it
    He had to after his disastrous gold predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    do you take it
    Am quite a way off Pension and Winter Fuel age, so no. But if I qualified right now, I'd slip the folding into a pocket. I did claim dole for about a month aged 16. Nowt since. Qualified for sprog benefit times two but never applied because I had always believed it was the craziest of all payments and I'd have been a hypocrite to do so. More importantly, it was a pride thing not to have everyone else to subsidise my choices. Though, I don't blame any of the E millions for reaching into the cookie jar as they have caught on to the fact that 1% at the top never miss an opportunity to fill their boots.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    He had to after his disastrous gold predictions.
    The facts about the so-called disastrous gold prediction. Begun accumulating in 2003, last purchase was in 2011. Average cost of those ounces was £475. Sold half of holding in August 2011 at £1,119 per ounce. Even accounting for inflation from 2003-2011, what I retain is effectively pure profit. More importantly, it offers some protection from any black swan events.

Furthermore, I promised myself aged 22 that I'd be done with slogging by 50. That ambition was achieved. Since then, four years on, I have unlimited leisure time.

I was very fortunate because all those years ago I met a bloke who was 65 and newly retired. He told me what was what. His best advice was to get off PAYE, become self-employed, preferably in something mostly cash-in-hand, and to find a, er, friendly accountant.

You can F*** right off.

That's my spending money on holiday....

I know for a fact that some aging rock stars (some of the most famous and richest people on the planet) have claimed the winter fuel allowance. I also know that pensioners based in Spain have claimed it - one claimant told the person I know who worked at DWP that "He needs the money to clean out the pool".

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    I know for a fact that some aging rock stars (some of the most famous and richest people on the planet) have claimed the winter fuel allowance. I also know that pensioners based in Spain have claimed it - one claimant told the person I know who worked at DWP that "He needs the money to clean out the pool".
    Are you still working as an accountant?

Quote Originally Posted by Splott David View Post
    Are you still working as an accountant?
    ?

Blog Entries

You make that sound like it's boiling, when my parents lived there it was bloody freezing in the winter, I doubt he was cleaning the pool out to swim in it. it's certainly cold enough over there to claim it, if they should be claiming it from a different country is a different argument.

A random photo of some snow as proof, I know I could have got it from anywhere but it really is from my mums garden

One claimant told the person who lives next door to my window cleaners assistant that "He needs the money to pay for a good blowjob".

Am quite a way off Pension and Winter Fuel age, so no. But if I qualified right now, I'd slip the folding into a pocket. I did claim dole for about a month aged 16. Nowt since. Qualified for sprog benefit times two but never applied because I had always believed it was the craziest of all payments and I'd have been a hypocrite to do so. More importantly, it was a pride thing not to have everyone else to subsidise my choices. Though, I don't blame any of the E millions for reaching into the cookie jar as they have caught on to the fact that 1% at the top never miss an opportunity to fill their boots.
    Not a pensioner ! I think you are fibbing. If I am not mistaken you are the furtive and scruffy young man who tried to sell me some dirty pictures in a brown paper bag outside Queen Street Station in 1962. Topless ones of Diana Dors you said with a sly wink. As a born again Christian – saved by Billy Graham himself - I was revolted by your offer. But remembering Billy's quote "God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with" I gave you half a crown for a cup of tea. Imagine my disgust when I got home and found you had slipped the brown paper bag into my duffle coat pocket. Opening the bag I found it wasn't Diana Dors at all but a some old slapper from a page torn out of Heath & Efficiency. Every night as I pulled this vile and repellent picture out from under the mattress I cursed your perfidiousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    You make that sound like it's boiling, when my parents lived there it was bloody freezing in the winter, I doubt he was cleaning the pool out to swim in it. it's certainly cold enough over there to claim it, if they should be claiming it from a different country is a different argument.

A random photo of some snow as proof, I know I could have got it from anywhere but it really is from my mums garden
    I'm just repeating what I was told - I can hardly be blamed for your perception of the story. Maybe he had to clean it to turn it into a nice rink.

Blog Entries

I'm just repeating what I was told - I can hardly be blamed for your perception of the story. Maybe he had to clean it to turn it into a nice rink.
    I wasn't blaming you, was just saying how it sounded to me, I don't like to see half a story.

The facts about the so-called disastrous gold prediction. Begun accumulating in 2003, last purchase was in 2011. Average cost of those ounces was £475. Sold half of holding in August 2011 at £1,119 per ounce. Even accounting for inflation from 2003-2011, what I retain is effectively pure profit. More importantly, it offers some protection from any black swan events.

Furthermore, I promised myself aged 22 that I'd be done with slogging by 50. That ambition was achieved. Since then, four years on, I have unlimited leisure time.

I was very fortunate because all those years ago I met a bloke who was 65 and newly retired. He told me what was what. His best advice was to get off PAYE, become self-employed, preferably in something mostly cash-in-hand, and to find a, er, friendly accountant.
    I bet you've lived in Kuwait as well haven't you.......