+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: People who eat at McDonalds

Re: People who eat at McDonalds

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Maybe not forced, but certainly coerced. By forces beyond their control.

Do you know what a food desert is? There are are low income people in New York and cities all over the US that have little alternative other than to eat poor food. Also, many young people are helpless to improve their financial situations and/or their families' attitudes to education.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_desert
    If money is tight then learn to cook proper food.

I'm pretty sure that cooking food yourself is cheaper than going to McDonald's.

It's not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post

It's not rocket science.
    I'm not so sure about that.

America and it's greedy waddles are to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryJason View Post
    America and it's greedy waddles are to blame.
    Waddlers

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'm not so sure about that.
    You can definitely cook a good meal for less than a £3. It would easily cost £20 plus for a family of 4 to eat at McDonald's. Our weekly shopping bill is about £60-£70.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    You can definitely cook a good meal for less than a £3. It would easily cost £20 plus for a family of 4 to eat at McDonald's. Our weekly shopping bill is about £60-£70.
    What would you make for a family of four for £3? Don't think I could do a spag bol for that unless it had no flavour or veg. And you can feed that same family using the pound shit at macdonalds for far less than £20.

I cook at home and i don't think it's loads cheaper than fast food unless you buy the really cheap supermarket stuff. Some of that is alright but other stuff is loaded with crap that's just as bad as macdonalds.

To ear healthily at home (as that is mostly the reason that macdonalds should be avoided) pushes the price up.

To add to my post, the reasons I cook at home is that it's healthier, I like the taste and i get variety. I wish I thought I was also saving money, would be a great bonus, but I doubt it.

Fast food is like anything unhealthy. If you have it in moderation then what's the problem? I probably go every other month on average and usually on the way back from a very long and draining day in work. It's easy to eat in the car. The problem occurs when people go there once or twice a week. It is shockingly bad for you though, the stuff they spray on it to preserve it is horrendous by all accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post

It's not rocket science.
    Did you bother to read the link about food deserts? And have you heard of the McDonald's dollar menu?

What are you cooking for £3?

What would you make for a family of four for £3?

I didn't say I could feed a family of four for £3.

You could make spaghetti bolognese with good quality meat, garlic, tomatoes, peppers

A kg of good quality minced beef would cost about £7, for a family of four you'd only need half of it (£3.50). Fresh spaghetti about £1.50. Garlic, tomatoes, peppers - wouldn't cost much more than £2. Add some smoked bacon for a treat, (£3). And, you'd have enough left over for lunch at work/school the next day.

A tenner - and you'd easily get 5 meals or 6 out of that.

You could make spaghetti bolognese with good quality meat, garlic, tomatoes, peppers

A kg of good quality minced beef would cost about £7, for a family of four you'd only need half of it (£3.50). Fresh spaghetti about £1.50. Garlic, tomatoes, peppers - wouldn't cost much more than £2. Add some smoked bacon for a treat, (£3). And, you'd have enough left over for lunch at work/school the next day.

Where are you getting the food from? Would you drive there?

Did you bother to read the link about food deserts? And have you heard of the McDonald's dollar menu?
    In addition to the food deserts, I think people just see eating from their own perspective. You also need to factor in time (time is money after all). A parent who is home with young kids at dinner time, not necessarily a single parent, may find it difficult to make a decent meal themselves because of the demands on their attention. Chicken nuggets and chips is unhealthy bit also easy to chuck in the oven and forget about.

Maybe it's easy for some of us to cook well on a budget at home but that doesn't make it easy for everyone.

So you compared the cost of cooking for one at home with a family of four at McDonald's.

And 5 meals from the two peppers you can afford from the £2 shared with chopped tomatoes and garlic? Come on...

Fatties are amongst the most vilified members of society when they should be celebrated as heroes and heroines of this sceptered isle. By them munching through huge quantities of grub every week they are helping the UK's GDP and indirectly employing umpteen thousands of people in service industries and elsewhere.

By gorging themselves silly they typically die years before they should. Their selfless scoffing helps to keep down the elderly, unproductive demographic.

#FabulouslyFlabby

What are you cooking for £3?
    Four chicken breasts fillets - (£3). 3 lemons (£1). Basel, Origano, Thyme, Parsley (OK - expensive when you first buy them, but they can last for a long time - let's say about 50p each time you do a meal for 4).

New potatoes (750g for £1.50) - butter and garlic. Carrots (very cheap, very healthy).

Marinade the chicken breasts in the lemon, together with the herbs - then grill the chicken.

Again, a nutritious meal for four for less than a tenner.

If you're living alone, the meal would cost you £3 easily - with plenty of ingredients left over to cook something else the next day.

Where are you getting the food from? Would you drive there?
    Lidl, 25 mins walk there and back, cheap food and bit of excersize to boot, people could do it if they wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Fatties are amongst the most vilified members of society when they should be celebrated as heroes and heroines of this sceptered isle. By them munching through huge quantities of grub every week they are helping the UK's GDP and indirectly employing umpteen thousands of people in service industries and elsewhere.

By gorging themselves silly they typically die years before they should. Their selfless scoffing helps to keep down the elderly, unproductive demographic.

#FabulouslyFlabby
    Obesity costs the UK about £5Billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Lidl, 25 mins walk there and back, cheap food and bit of excersize to boot, people could do it if they wanted to.
    If you read the link he put up, there are people (amazing as it may seem) who don't live within walking distance of a large cheap supermarket.

If you read the link he put up, there are people (amazing as it may seem) who don't live within walking distance of a large cheap supermarket.
    It doesn't stop them walking to the pub!!

Does a single parent take their kids with them to Lidl? And if so, does this add to the 25 minute round trip?

Does a single parent take their kids with them to Lidl? And if so, does this add to the 25 minute round trip?
    They manage to take their kids to Maccy D's

It doesn't stop them walking to the pub!!
    Are you talking about someone specific now?

So you compared the cost of cooking for one at home with a family of four at McDonald's.

And 5 meals from the two peppers you can afford from the £2 shared with chopped tomatoes and garlic? Come on...
    Easily. How much garlic would you use? 2, maybe 3 cloves - a bulb costs 35p! Two tins of chopped tomatoes - 75p. Two peppers from a good greengrocer - £1 (you wouldn't need more than two). £2, perhaps £2.50. Add another pepper if you like - call it £3.50

500g Meat - £3.50
    Pasta - £1.50
    Tomatoes - 75p
    Peppers - £1.50 (assuming you are buying 3)
    Garlic - 35p (you'll use about 10p worth!)
    Bacon - £3

A little over a tenner to feed a family of four. If your family of four is eating for less than a tenner at McDonald's - well done. Just avoid adding salt, because it's already been added for taste

Are you talking about someone specific now?
    Not at all, but i could be talking about myself I know what it is like to carry too much excess, I've been there, it's no secret to how lose it, making excuses will result in a nett loss of zero