+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: "Cardiff City must make new contracts for Peter Whittingham and Anthony Pilkington a priority..."

Blue in the Face

"Cardiff City must make new contracts for Peter Whittingham and Anthony Pilkington a priority..."

I don't agree with the WoL article at all.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...make-11874408?

Whitts and Pilkington are on 25k a week and I don't think they are worth that to a club like us. We should wait till January and see what the situation is then.

On Whitts, we should see what his playing level is at come the end of the season as he's 32 now and it's likely his playing level will drop at some point. I'm sure he'll renew, but it would need to be on reduced terms. We should assess the situation much later down the line.

Pilkington is now gone above No one as the most frustrating player at the club for me. I think he's getting a free pass currently. If he was playing anywere else on the field other than up top and he lost the ball through silly lapses then our fans would rip into him. He does have good quality, but he needs to step up if he is to earn a new contract.

Re: "Cardiff City must make new contracts for Peter Whittingham and Anthony Pilkington a priority..."

I think it's too late anyway. Pilkington would be mad to sign a new contract now. He'll be free to sign a pre contract somewhere else with a big signing on fee in January so why would he want to rush to get around the table now?

I guessed the article may have been by Scott Johnson. I think he just looks for things to write ala Adrian Durham

Blue in the Face

Re: "Cardiff City must make new contracts for Peter Whittingham and Anthony Pilkington a priority..."

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I think it's too late anyway. Pilkington would be mad to sign a new contract now. He'll be free to sign a pre contract somewhere else with a big signing on fee in January so why would he want to rush to get around the table now?

I guessed the article may have been by Scott Johnson. I think he just looks for things to write ala Adrian Durham
    You might well be right on Pilkington. Hopefully we get Bothroyd-esque performances where he plays out of his skin to one last good payday. Though I don't think work rate is at all an issue with Pilkington.

He must be a hack whoever it is because he says the transfer window slammed shut - they all do that, but wouldn't the window smash if you slammed it shut?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He must be a hack whoever it is because he says the transfer window slammed shut - they all do that, but wouldn't the window smash if you slammed it shut?
    It is Scott Johnson, so you're right there. His pieces are complete garbage usually. However, I think we have to try and keep Pilkington, he's the closest thing we have to proven goalscorer (fingers crossed Lambert is too!).

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post

Players in the FL and Premier League can only sign pre-contracts with another League club in June. He can sign a PC abroad in Jan however.

Once Whitts goes a piece of Cardiff City will die for me

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Once Whitts goes a piece of Cardiff City will die for me
    He'll stay.