+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: We could do with this kid in midfield

We could do with this kid in midfield

Re: We could do with this kid in midfield

Beeeaast!

I saw this earlier. He's just bigger than all the other kids. They'll catch up.

We've just rid ourselves of one overweight fat bar stud

That was quite funny, he almost slows down to let a few catch up so he can hand them off again.

He may not always have such an advantage in the future and it's a good learning curve for the opposition players, most going far too high on him.

Whilst amusing, this shows a lot of things that are wrong with youth sport.
    Growing up in most sports there were always a few kids who were bigger than the others and so stood out. Unfortunately this means that the bigger kids don't develop to their full potential as they are always playing against easy opposition, the team mates of the bigger kid don't learn much either as they just pass to the big kid all the time. And the opposition spend the entire time being flattened so don't learn anything either.
    Even in football in school there was a kid who got picked up by Leeds , but looking back he wasn't actually very good at all, not fast or skillful, just had the physique of a grown man at 15. He was soon released again once everyone else caught up.

In new Zealand they arrange rugby teams on weight/height instead of age don't they? I think this could have significant benefits if it was applied in wales, across all sports.

Even in baseball there are a disproportionate number of top players born in the first 6 months of the year.

Some of those hand offs are brutal

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Whilst amusing, this shows a lot of things that are wrong with youth sport.
    Growing up in most sports there were always a few kids who were bigger than the others and so stood out. Unfortunately this means that the bigger kids don't develop to their full potential as they are always playing against easy opposition, the team mates of the bigger kid don't learn much either as they just pass to the big kid all the time. And the opposition spend the entire time being flattened so don't learn anything either.
    Even in football in school there was a kid who got picked up by Leeds , but looking back he wasn't actually very good at all, not fast or skillful, just had the physique of a grown man at 15. He was soon released again once everyone else caught up.

In new Zealand they arrange rugby teams on weight/height instead of age don't they? I think this could have significant benefits if it was applied in wales, across all sports.

Even in baseball there are a disproportionate number of top players born in the first 6 months of the year.
    That's a fair point in rugby but it shouldn't matter in football.
    Diego Maradona was the best footballer in the world and he's a midget.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    That's a fair point in rugby but it shouldn't matter in football.
    Diego Maradona was the best footballer in the world and he's a midget.
    It does still affect kids football. For example, if you're the big kid then most likely you'll be played at centre back.

I was a bit like this to a lesser extent in school early years I was tallest and fattest but also one of the fastest yet I couldn't throw a rugby ball or knew the rules but played for some good teams.
    I think person is right about teaching nothing

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It does still affect kids football. For example, if you're the big kid then most likely you'll be played at centre back.

I dont see how bigger kids have an advantage against the smaller kids in foobtall in the same way it does rugby.

You couldnt run through a bunch of smaller kids handing them off with your strength on a football pitch you need to have skill as well.

Ryan Giggs and Messi werent big you see clips of them when they were kids just picking the ball up and dribbling past the oppostion like they are not there. Nothing to do with size, more to do with pace and skill.

I dont see how bigger kids have an advantage against the smaller kids in foobtall in the same way it does rugby.

You couldnt run through a bunch of smaller kids handing them off with your strength on a football pitch you need to have skill as well.

Ryan Giggs and Messi werent big you see clips of them when they were kids just picking the ball up and dribbling past the oppostion like they are not there. Nothing to do with size, more to do with pace and skill.
    It's not to the same effect in football as it is in rugby, I'm not saying it is, but it is still there.

This article says it better than me:

"Nick Levett, the FA's national development manager, said: "For the 2009 season 57% of kids at Premier League academies were born September to December; and 14% were born in May-August. Where are the May to August kids? The simple fact is that adults have voted them out of the game because of our desire to pick bigger, stronger, faster players."

https://www.theguardian.com/football...group-football

Whilst probably true at under 11s things will sort themselves out after that. At that age it should all be about being comfortable on the ball and control etc rather than position specific skills. I started off as a striker and by the time I was 16 I was playing centre back. I regularly read of pro players playing in different positions to begin with and then changing as they got older as better coaches saw their true skill sets.

This kids coach should be telling him it won't always be like this because if he doesn't the first time he gets a big hit on him his ego won't let him recover from it.

It's not to the same effect in football as it is in rugby, I'm not saying it is, but it is still there.

This article says it better than me:

"Nick Levett, the FA's national development manager, said: "For the 2009 season 57% of kids at Premier League academies were born September to December; and 14% were born in May-August. Where are the May to August kids? The simple fact is that adults have voted them out of the game because of our desire to pick bigger, stronger, faster players."

https://www.theguardian.com/football...group-football
    Aint got time to read the article but why the **** would someone be bigger, stronger and faster depending which month they were born!?!?!?!

Gareth Bale was born in July and he ticks all 3 boxes.

Aint got time to read the article but why the **** would someone be bigger, stronger and faster depending which month they were born!?!?!?!

Kids born in September are almost a year older than some they are playing against. Yes there will be exceptions, but there are undoubtedly players who would have been good enough to play at the top level missing out because of the month they were born in.

There are exceptions of course. On average kids between 6-12 grow 2.5 inches and gain 7 pounds per year, so your typical September-born school kid can be quite a bit more physically mature than your average August born school kid, who is nearly 12 months younger but playing in the same year. That's quite a big difference when you're a little'un.